Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray pulls out of French Open 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray pulls out of French Open

(Read 3545 times)
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 09:46 AM »

Thanks dani very interesting.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 09:46 AM »

thanks for posting that dani - good to read a supportive commentary and also that it shouldn't affect andy's ranking too badly.   After his thrashing on Sunday doesn't look that likely that smugfed will make the final though of course all depends on the draw.  So my primary (negative ) goal for RG will be for smugfed to go out as early as possible and I'll be backing baby Fed to go as far as possible.   
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 09:54 AM »

Thanks for that Dani.  I was only mildly surprised at his retirement in Rome as it does seem the clay brings out the problem.  He will, of course, be more relaxed on grass as it is a good surface for him and being a little less relaxed would not help his back problem as I know from experience, although my problem did turn out to be my hips as well.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 12:08 PM »

On one hand I am very sorry that Andy has pulled out of RG but on the other hand glad as clay does not suit his type of back injury, and could end up ruining his career. Roll on Queens!!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 12:24 PM »

I think Andy has done the right thing all around. Playing RG and risking aggravating the back further would probably have impacted on his chances for Wimbledon. Seeing as he is less likely to win RG than Wimbledon he has made the right decision. I think he would have been worried at RG this year, concerned he was taking a risk too far, so that could have been a distraction.

RG won't have the same appeal without Andy, but I'll still watch. I'll be able to support Ferrer, Dimitrov and the lovely JWT, none of whom will win, but there we are. I won't be as disappointed as each one loses, because although I like all of them, they don't mean as much as Andy.

Fingers crossed that Federer goes out nice and early. I'm chuffed to know now, thanks to Sparkle, that he needs to get to the final to overtake Andy. I think Andy should be all right for that, but just in case, I'll keep my fingers crossed for Federer's opponents, even Berdych, Raonic and JJ, if any of those happen.

Thank God the clay season is nearly over! I hate it, I really do. It has to be the most tedious time of the year. My mind is already halfway to Queen's, where hopefully Andy will be fit and ready to go. Then there is Wimbledon. Can't wait!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 12:30 PM »

Get better soon, Andy.

Screw the clay. I'm more than happy to wait and see you on this surface.

IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 01:00 PM »

Get better soon, Andy.

Awesome pic. goodjob
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 03:09 PM »

Seeing as he is less likely to win RG than Wimbledon he has made the right decision.

I agree it is his slam least likely so I would rather he rested up and saved himself for other tournies.
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #23 on: May 22, 2013, 05:13 PM »

So glad he has pulled out of RG this will give him a better chance of winning Wimbledon.  My thoughts go back to last year when he won the gold medal beating Djokovic and Frauderer.......oh happy days and now look forward to a repeat.  Noticed Del Potro has also withdrawn due to a viral infection and Mardy Fish due to heart problems, we'll see how many are left fit for Wimbledon after RG. Think
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 05:52 PM »

http://www.standard.co.uk/pasportsfeeds/becker-injury-may-be-a-blessing-8627766.html
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #25 on: May 22, 2013, 05:59 PM »

Good decision by Andy and his medical advisers. I just hope that he will be 100% fit for Wimbledon and will have sufficient time to practise.

The sooner ATP and ITF realise that red clay is only fit for builders and not for tennis players other than Nadal, Djokovic and the Spanish crew. Perhaps then there might be an increase in grass court tournaments after Nadal retires.

This of course is a reversal of the Spaniards' demands to slow the hard and grass court to their liking down to red clay speeds.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #26 on: May 22, 2013, 06:10 PM »

Get better soon, Andy.

,Oh yes Linda well said , can't wait ,  clap
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #27 on: May 22, 2013, 08:00 PM »

I think there is the possibility that Andy was always intending to skip the French Open and did that whole enter Rome and quit thing to prevent people being so critical about it.
Wha-at???  You cannot be serious surely - and if it's meant as a joke then it's in pretty poor taste.

IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #28 on: May 22, 2013, 08:11 PM »

@laundry
You cannot be serious shocking
TBH if I thought Andy could be so devious and the whole medical thing was a fraud, I would stop supporting him.
But I don't.
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #29 on: May 22, 2013, 08:16 PM »

Whilst I'm very sorry that Andy has had to pull out, it won't stop me taking an interest in the tournament, especially as it's a Slam.

I enjoy tennis and there are other players I'll be supporting - Dimitrov, Tsonga, Ferrer and Del Potro (although his participation too is in doubt).  Also, thanks to ITV, RG is one of the very few occasions where I have the luxury of watching tennis on TV as opposed to sometimes inferior and unreliable livestreams.
Well said Aileen and I'm glad you will be able to watch. The enjoyent will not be so complete without Andy but we will enjoy the excellent tennis.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »