Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray pulls out of French Open 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray pulls out of French Open

(Read 3426 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #75 on: June 05, 2013, 11:16 PM »

Erm, I think he did already last year, not only at Olympics, but also the Wimbledon Final.... granted, Wimbledon Final was a bit more 50/50, but it's not like there was 0 Andy support there.
Yes because the French fans were definitely 50/50 during Tsonga/Federer.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #76 on: June 05, 2013, 11:44 PM »

Erm, I think he did already last year, not only at Olympics, but also the Wimbledon Final.... granted, Wimbledon Final was a bit more 50/50, but it's not like there was 0 Andy support there.

And at the end of the Wimbledon final Andy was just a tiny bit emotional - thanking the crowd, and saying the support had been incredible. But what does he know?
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #77 on: June 06, 2013, 12:15 AM »

And at the end of the Wimbledon final Andy was just a tiny bit emotional - thanking the crowd, and saying the support had been incredible. But what does he know?

What were you expecting? For him to slate them?

Very odd comment.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #78 on: June 06, 2013, 01:55 PM »

What were you expecting? For him to slate them?

Very odd comment.

Maybe I'm an odd person! I was agreeing with Prod that Andy did get a lot of support at Wimbledon, and I happen to think he was genuine in his thanks (but we'll probably never know).

It seems I have a less negative view generally of the level of support Andy gets than some posters, and sometimes feel people are a bit over-sensitive on his behalf.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #79 on: June 06, 2013, 04:05 PM »

Maybe I'm an odd person! I was agreeing with Prod that Andy did get a lot of support at Wimbledon, and I happen to think he was genuine in his thanks (but we'll probably never know).

It seems I have a less negative view generally of the level of support Andy gets than some posters, and sometimes feel people are a bit over-sensitive on his behalf.
I agree too that Andy did get a lot of support at Wimbledon, although perhaps not as much as we'd have liked.  Also I'm absolutely certain Andy's speech at came straight from the heart, tears and all.  It's difficult if you don't know somebody personally, but I just feel that Andy's a genuine and quite emotional guy who doesn't have it in him to put on an act like that.

I wouldn't disagree either that some people are a too sensitive on his behalf, but having occasionally visited their websites out of interest, the same can be said of Djoko, Fed and Nadal's fans.  I do think though that MW has a healthy  share of realists, probably no doubt because of all the ups and downs of Andy's career, but that makes it all the more interesting.  I'd be bored to tears with a player who was winning most of the time.
[ Last edit by Aileen June 07, 2013, 02:07 AM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #80 on: June 06, 2013, 05:59 PM »

Last year I said Federer would retire in 2014 and I stick by it. I know he wants to play until the next Olympic in 2016, but by that time, even a qualifier will be able to beat him.

He'll see how this year goes and then perhaps call it quits at the beginning of next year and make either Wimbledon 2014 or USO 2014 as his last Slam. He's already titleless this year so far and every Major now has 3 to 4 firm contenders and Roger is aging. Nothing is looking all too promising right now for him unless he sees another opportunity as Nadal losing early or Nole even. Comparatively he's still playing well but it's not good enough for the current field. I really thought he got lucky at last year's Wimbledon when Rafa took a fall to Rosol and Andy mentally collapsed after the 2nd set. He did beat Nole though so that wasn't too bad.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #81 on: June 06, 2013, 06:00 PM »

The thing about the Wimbledon crowd, to my mind, is not so much that they don't support Andy (although, in the past I have wondered at times), but that they are very polite about it, to the point where I have sometimes wondered just whose side they are on. The Wimbledon crowd isn't so pro the Brits as maybe the crowds in the other slams are for their own.

I do think it took a long time for the Wimbles crowd to take to Andy, though God knows why. Strangely I tend to think it's because Andy plays to win, whereas a lot of the Brits in the past seemed to play to take part. Wanting to win isn't quite British old boy! I also think press negativity, questions about Andy's mental strength, his ability to win at the highest level, coloured the Wimbledon crowds view of him as well. Well, he's well and truly shot that one down. I suspect some may have taken Andy's shyness as aloofness as well, but again, that is down to the media and the way it portrays him.

I would very much agree with Tim Henman's quoted view, that it's a bit of a shame that it took Andy to cry like that on Centre Court before the Wimbledon crowd could see what competing means to him, how much he wants to win at the highest level. I would go further and suggest that it means they knew nothing about how hard Andy works to be the best he can be, how much he has sacrificed for it. That said, I think in that moment Andy expressed how he felt so clearly, there could be no room for doubt about how genuine his feelings were. I think the crowd responded to him taking the microphone and speaking to them directly, when it would have been easier not to. I think that day Andy gave the crowd, a lot of whom were in tears right along with him, even grown men, an insight, not only into how much he wants to win, but how tough the sport is in this era. I think they saw how brave Andy has been in repeatedly putting himself in a position to win, and how hard he has fought to do so.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #82 on: June 06, 2013, 06:05 PM »

Is it possible they don't want to upset Federer, whom they adore, even for the sake of their own player? I thought they wanted to cheer for Andy to the fullest but was lukewarm about it because of Federer.

The support for Andy at the Olympics final against the same player was outstanding though. It was one of the most beautiful things I've ever watched.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #83 on: June 07, 2013, 01:43 AM »

The thing about the Wimbledon crowd, to my mind, is not so much that they don't support Andy (although, in the past I have wondered at times), but that they are very polite about it, to the point where I have sometimes wondered just whose side they are on. The Wimbledon crowd isn't so pro the Brits as maybe the crowds in the other slams are for their own.

I do think it took a long time for the Wimbles crowd to take to Andy, though God knows why. Strangely I tend to think it's because Andy plays to win, whereas a lot of the Brits in the past seemed to play to take part. Wanting to win isn't quite British old boy! I also think press negativity, questions about Andy's mental strength, his ability to win at the highest level, coloured the Wimbledon crowds view of him as well. Well, he's well and truly shot that one down. I suspect some may have taken Andy's shyness as aloofness as well, but again, that is down to the media and the way it portrays him.
Henman always played to win, and let us not forget the massive support he got from the "we love you, Tim" brigade.  That said, Henman was what you might call typical English upper-middle class, privately educated, well-spoken, self-assured, a rather restrained sort of chap, and always immaculate in appearance, and so therefore had more crowd appeal, especially the strawberry 'n' pimms faction.  Andy, on the other hand, couldn't have been more different.  I think the s 'n' p toffs in particular must have wondered what had hit them when Andy landed there in 2005 - this skinny, red-headed Scot whose hair looked like it hadn't seen a brush, or a barber, for months, and who was given to fist-pumping, shouting and the occasional naughty word.  Andy's natural shyness and rather mumbling speech at interviews didn't help his cause either.   

I would very much agree with Tim Henman's quoted view, that it's a bit of a shame that it took Andy to cry like that on Centre Court before the Wimbledon crowd could see what competing means to him, how much he wants to win at the highest level. I would go further and suggest that it means they knew nothing about how hard Andy works to be the best he can be, how much he has sacrificed for it. That said, I think in that moment Andy expressed how he felt so clearly, there could be no room for doubt about how genuine his feelings were. I think the crowd responded to him taking the microphone and speaking to them directly, when it would have been easier not to. I think that day Andy gave the crowd, a lot of whom were in tears right along with him, even grown men, an insight, not only into how much he wants to win, but how tough the sport is in this era. I think they saw how brave Andy has been in repeatedly putting himself in a position to win, and how hard he has fought to do so.
I go along with all that 100%, TJ.
[ Last edit by Aileen June 07, 2013, 02:13 AM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #84 on: June 07, 2013, 10:54 AM »

Is it possible they don't want to upset Federer, whom they adore, even for the sake of their own player? I thought they wanted to cheer for Andy to the fullest but was lukewarm about it because of Federer.

The support for Andy at the Olympics final against the same player was outstanding though. It was one of the most beautiful things I've ever watched.
Like the French there is Fed worship and that makes support for Andy muted.  But W crowd are capable of yelling for Andy - think back to that Gasquet match for instance. However, I think there was still ambivalence towards Andy himself last year.  That didn't show at the Olympics because people were supporting team GB.  I was on Murrays Mount and I heard some people saying they would normally support Fed over Andy but this was about supporting team GB.  Let's see whether those tears really have made a difference.   I'm sure Andy has more support than he had but there will always be some people who dislike him - either because of his personality or because of his supposed anti-English stance [stupid as that is]
IP Logged
clementine
Satellite Level

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #85 on: June 07, 2013, 11:41 AM »

The Wimbledon crowd love their Wimbledon champions.  Had Henman beaten Ivanisovic in that rain-interrupted semi and Agassi had made it through to the final instead of Rafter, the crowd would have been split, at best.  I was there for both semis and most of the crowd were there to support Agassi in his match.  As with the O2, Wimbledon has an extremely diverse and cosmopolitan mix of visitors.

The media go into overdrive, of course, about our homegrown hero's,  but the truth is actually quite different when you're there.  Federer's obsessed fans will be present in vast numbers at the mecca of all tennis temples to worship their god (Sky Sport have recently even resorted to a heavenly choir for his pre-match build-ups).  This year, of all years, Federer fans will be desperate for the bad-tempered old so-and-so to turn it on again, if only for old time's sake, regardless of who he happens to be playing.   

Andy is loved by many, but the truth is that not all of us can be there to show our support for him, much as we would love to be able to.  To get tickets you have to be very lucky, very resourceful, very well off and then have time available to be there.  All these factors determine the level of support for each player.  The cheers are a barometer of many things other than how popular a player is.  One thing is certain, every time Andy steps on court there are millions of us, miles away from SW19, living out every point he plays and willing him to win. 

My wish for him at Wimbledon this year is that he will be healthy and fit enough not only to play but that he will be liberated from the pain and worry of his chronic back problem and be able to shine.  For so long he's been shackled and limited in his movements but what a wondrous thing it would be to see Andy in full flight on those glorious lawns.  wub
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #86 on: June 07, 2013, 11:48 AM »

The Wimbledon crowd love their Wimbledon champions.  Had Henman beaten Ivanisovic in that rain-interrupted semi and Agassi had made it through to the final instead of Rafter, the crowd would have been split, at best.  I was there for both semis and most of the crowd were there to support Agassi in his match.  As with the O2, Wimbledon has an extremely diverse and cosmopolitan mix of visitors.

The media go into overdrive, of course, about our homegrown hero's,  but the truth is actually quite different when you're there.  Federer's obsessed fans will be present in vast numbers at the mecca of all tennis temples to worship their god (Sky Sport have recently even resorted to a heavenly choir for his pre-match build-ups).  This year, of all years, Federer fans will be desperate for the bad-tempered old so-and-so to turn it on again, if only for old time's sake, regardless of who he happens to be playing.   

Andy is loved by many, but the truth is that not all of us can be there to show our support for him, much as we would love to be able to.  To get tickets you have to be very lucky, very resourceful, very well off and then have time available to be there.  All these factors determine the level of support for each player.  The cheers are a barometer of many things other than how popular a player is.  One thing is certain, every time Andy steps on court there are millions of us, miles away from SW19, living out every point he plays and willing him to win. 

My wish for him at Wimbledon this year is that he will be healthy and fit enough not only to play but that he will be liberated from the pain and worry of his chronic back problem and be able to shine.  For so long he's been shackled and limited in his movements but what a wondrous thing it would be to see Andy in full flight on those glorious lawns.  wub

Good posting!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #87 on: June 07, 2013, 12:00 PM »

I think in the final last year the support for Andy started off well. It was when it got tense that the crowd went quiet on him. I compare it with the USO, when Andy lost the two set lead. The crowd backed Djokovic to get back into the match.

The difference between the two crowds, Wimbles and USO, came after that. At Wimbles the crowd stayed quiet on Andy. They sounded almost paralysed by something. At the USO Djokovic, arguably, had the momentum going in to the fifth, but the crowd got behind Andy, really wanted that win for him. Andy played fine tennis to win, but I'm sure the crowd support helped him too.

The telling thing for me came after the final at Wimbles. After Andy's tears that crowd stood for Andy and chanted his name repeatedly. They didn't even quiet down when Federer dragged his kids out. It was the first time I've ever seen a Wimbles champion, any Wimbles champion, be completely upstaged by the runner-up! I have to admit that made me cry every bit as much as Andy did. If the crowds this year remember that then Andy will be well supported.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #88 on: June 07, 2013, 12:01 PM »

^^ Yup, great post Clementine, thanks.
IP Logged
Apollo
Veteran

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #89 on: June 07, 2013, 03:05 PM »

I think often crowds are very fickle, like yelling for the guy losing so they can see another set played.  Or just rooting for the underdog. 

I will be on vacation the next two weeks but hopefully will be able to follow Queens on my Ipad or Phone.  We will be in a motorhome traveling to Michigan the second day of Queens.  Has anyone noticed that the ATP/WTA no longer gives the great live update on the scores....anyone know of another app that gives scores??
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »