Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray pulls out of French Open 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray pulls out of French Open

(Read 3528 times)
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #45 on: June 03, 2013, 10:28 PM »

Well Queens is 2 weeks away and it sounds like Andy could play tomorrow if he had to. He'll be fit. Id like him to win Queens to at least make up some points for missing the French. Then he will be set up to win Wimbledon. Then  the Canadian Open title would follow followed by a victory at the Cincinatti Masters. And by then he will be fully confident about retaining his US Open title.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #46 on: June 03, 2013, 10:37 PM »

Also Andy can't say he is fully fit just now when the French has only started the 2nd week. He's got to pretend he is still a bit injured.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #47 on: June 03, 2013, 10:38 PM »

Well Queens is 2 weeks away and it sounds like Andy could play tomorrow if he had to. He'll be fit. Id like him to win Queens to at least make up some points for missing the French. Then he will be set up to win Wimbledon. Then  the Canadian Open title would follow followed by a victory at the Cincinatti Masters. And by then he will be fully confident about retaining his US Open title.

Let's just stick to Queens and Wimbledon at the moment, eh?
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #48 on: June 03, 2013, 10:39 PM »

Also Andy can't say he is fully fit just now when the French has only started the 2nd week. He's got to pretend he is still a bit injured.

!!!! I don't think for one minute he is pretending anything!
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #49 on: June 03, 2013, 10:43 PM »

Well Queens is 2 weeks away and it sounds like Andy could play tomorrow if he had to.about retaining his US Open title.

Don't think that's quite what Henman meant. He didn't exactly say he was bursting with health and raring to go - and Queens is less than a week away as it starts next Monday. #sigh - grasscourts, lovely.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #50 on: June 03, 2013, 11:02 PM »

Don't think that's quite what Henman meant. He didn't exactly say he was bursting with health and raring to go - and Queens is less than a week away as it starts next Monday. #sigh - grasscourts, lovely.

Yeah but he's  taking Andy's word for it and Andy won't be saying to Tim he is completely fit given he pulled out the French. He's got to keep the pretence of being a little bit injured even if he isn't. Im not saying he wasn't injured before the French its just my feeling is he would have played if the French was the last tournament of the year.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #51 on: June 04, 2013, 12:51 AM »

Maybe Tim means that Andy has to be careful at the moment, in training and such.
I was only joking TJ.  My take on it was that whilst, yes, Andy needs to be careful at the moment, he also needs to be careful about what he does in between matches at Wimbledon, i.e. makes sure he gets enough rest, doesn't indulge in any other strenuous activity, etc - but I'm sure Andy is well aware of this, and also he's got a small army looking after him, so I don't think there's going to be any worry there.

[ Last edit by Aileen June 04, 2013, 01:12 AM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #52 on: June 04, 2013, 01:11 AM »

Excuse me, Big Nose - but what planet are you on?   Even for a fully fit Andy that would be rather a tall order.

Yeah but he's  taking Andy's word for it and Andy won't be saying to Tim he is completely fit given he pulled out the French. He's got to keep the pretence of being a little bit injured even if he isn't. Im not saying he wasn't injured before the French its just my feeling is he would have played if the French was the last tournament of the year.
How condescending of you to admit that you believe Andy was injured before the FO, but to say that he's got to keep pretending he's 'a little bit injured' is ridiculous.  Granted nobody apart from himself and those closest to him knows exactly what the problem is, except that it's reported to be disc related, the fact is that he's had this problem for 18 months now, often playing in pain and discomfort, and chronic problems, particularly back ones, don't vanish overnight, no matter how expert the treatment. 

IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #53 on: June 04, 2013, 07:46 AM »

If Andy was a 100% fit just now do you think he would announce it after pulling out the French?

We've all seen Andy look half-dead on a court and thought; well thats it, game over only for him to find another level and win in double quick time. I think that's why people were surprised he pulled out of Rome and the French. Compared to how he looked playing Niemenen last year for the first couple of sets Andy looked in tip top condition in Rome.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #54 on: June 04, 2013, 08:33 AM »

I was only joking TJ.  My take on it was that whilst, yes, Andy needs to be careful at the moment, he also needs to be careful about what he does in between matches at Wimbledon, i.e. makes sure he gets enough rest, doesn't indulge in any other strenuous activity, etc - but I'm sure Andy is well aware of this, and also he's got a small army looking after him, so I don't think there's going to be any worry there.

Sorry Aileen, I think that's the second time we've been at crossed purposes this week lol. My brain isn't firing properly lol.

I agree completely. Without knowing what the problem is its hard to judge, but I'm sure how he takes care of himself between matches will be important. It's vital anyway, even when a player is fit, but when you are carrying a problem it has to be even more important.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #55 on: June 04, 2013, 12:17 PM »

If Andy was a 100% fit just now do you think he would announce it after pulling out the French?

We've all seen Andy look half-dead on a court and thought; well thats it, game over only for him to find another level and win in double quick time. I think that's why people were surprised he pulled out of Rome and the French. Compared to how he looked playing Niemenen last year for the first couple of sets Andy looked in tip top condition in Rome.

He looked awful to me in Rome - clearly in a lot of pain. I wasn't surprised when he pulled out of either tournament - playing long rallies on clay would not have done his back any good at all. He'd probably have given it a go had Wimbledon not followed so soon afterwards, but risking Wimbledon for the French Open wouldn't have been a good strategy.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #56 on: June 04, 2013, 01:01 PM »

He looked awful to me in Rome - clearly in a lot of pain. I wasn't surprised when he pulled out of either tournament - playing long rallies on clay would not have done his back any good at all. He'd probably have given it a go had Wimbledon not followed so soon afterwards, but risking Wimbledon for the French Open wouldn't have been a good strategy.

I agree with that. The day Andy pulled out in Rome he looked dreadful, even before he'd struck a ball. Anyone could see he didn't look right. Rather than being surprised when he pulled out of Rome and RG, I would have been surprised if he hadn't.

Risking himself for a slam he was unlikely to win over a slam he is capable of winning, would have made no sense whatsoever.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #57 on: June 04, 2013, 06:49 PM »

I agree that in the past Andy quite often looked half-dead on court and then suddenly sprung to life (something Djokovic is still good at), but I'm convinced that was a psychological thing, maybe even, dare I say it, playing mind-games, but he began to drop that habit soon after taking Lendl on, so nowadays if Andy looks awful then that means that he is.

The Nieminen match was a bit weird, and I admit to feeling a little sorry for Nieminen who must have wondered WTH was going on, but that was due to a muscle spasm and wasn't connected to the original problem

Sorry Aileen, I think that's the second time we've been at crossed purposes this week lol. My brain isn't firing properly lol.
Mine isn't either.  It's definitely all down to the tennis TJ - and the final arrival of summer (I hope)!  Also I'm feeling a bit drained after the Tsonga match, which is unusual unless it's Andy whose playing.  I don't know what I'd have been like if it had gone beyond three I was so desperate for Jo to win.  I knew could do it, but was expecting at least a 4-setter.

I agree completely. Without knowing what the problem is its hard to judge, but I'm sure how he takes care of himself between matches will be important. It's vital anyway, even when a player is fit, but when you are carrying a problem it has to be even more important.
Andy was advised a year ago to stop playing golf and footie, two sports which would do nothing to help the problem.  Anyway I was glad he gave the footie up because of the risk of leg injuries, so it never seemed a wise idea to me.

I agree with that. The day Andy pulled out in Rome he looked dreadful, even before he'd struck a ball. Anyone could see he didn't look right. Rather than being surprised when he pulled out of Rome and RG, I would have been surprised if he hadn't.

Risking himself for a slam he was unlikely to win over a slam he is capable of winning, would have made no sense whatsoever.
I missed the Rome match, probably fortunately.  I hate seeing Andy when he's in pain, or any other player for that matter.
[ Last edit by Aileen June 04, 2013, 07:06 PM ] IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #58 on: June 04, 2013, 06:51 PM »

Aileen, just a thought on Tsonga today. I was doing some very loud whispering at the TV! It was all 'come on Jo, come on sweetheart, don't you let him back!' it was exactly like watching Andy!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray pulls out of French Open « Reply #59 on: June 04, 2013, 07:11 PM »

Aileen, just a thought on Tsonga today. I was doing some very loud whispering at the TV! It was all 'come on Jo, come on sweetheart, don't you let him back!' it was exactly like watching Andy!
But like Andy, Jo is such a lovely person, and, like him, his game and mindset seem to have improved a lot since taking Rasheed on as his coach. In fact if there was no Andy I think he'd be my favourite player.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »