Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray pulls out of Toronto 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Murray pulls out of Toronto  (Read 3323 times)
BigNose
Challenger Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Murray pulls out of Toronto « Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 10:12 PM »

There is no way Andy would have pulled out if the USO wasn't just round the corner. Im quite happy he's making sure he's 110% for Flushing Meadows.

I also see Rafa has pulled out of Cincinatti now. Will he make the USO?
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray pulls out of Toronto « Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 10:14 PM »

Just seen a clip from his press conference on Sky.  There was no hint he might miss USO.  He said his physio will be in Cinci and I guess he'll do intensive work with him there.  It has to be the right decision and probably is more precautionary than indicative of a serious injury.  Given it sounds like pretty relentless rain in Toronto over next day or so it would be difficult for him even to practise on outside hard courts so perhaps not too much lost by having enforced rest for a couple of days when his body is probably crying out for it.  And I'd hate to have seen him defeated by Raonic again. While we'd know there was a good reason for that it might given Raonic ideas if he beat him twice running.  So all in all a good decision and I'm relieved he can get some urgently needed rest.  And just keep fingers crossed some rest and physio will sort it out.

Oh and the strapline at bottom of press conference clip from ATP was Andy Murray Olympic Champion - makes me feel so proud each time I see or hear that  yay
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Murray pulls out of Toronto « Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 10:25 PM »

Oh and the strapline at bottom of press conference clip from ATP was Andy Murray Olympic Champion - makes me feel so proud each time I see or hear that  yay

I know its so nice, when they acknowledge andys olympic win just makes me so proud! Can't wait till other honours are added to that list. Very Happy
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Murray pulls out of Toronto « Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 10:57 PM »

After all the rain in Toronto and the waiting about I fully expected Andy to pull out (and glad).  He will probably use the time now with Lendl and also rest up after the Olympics.  He said yesterday that he had hardly any sleep since Sunday and I suspect he will use the next few days catching up on his sleep and gently easing himself back in time for Cincy.  Imo it is the press stirring things up as usual saying that Andy will pull out of the US Open, seriously concerned about Nadal though.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray pulls out of Toronto « Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 12:39 AM »

I'm very relieved but not surprised at this decision.  Andy should never have played in the first place and it's a shame that the ATP put pressure on players to particpate in Toronto right after the Olympics.  I suppose Andy was lucky that he had a fairly easy first match even if he did pick up what is hopefully a minor problem due to suddenly playing on a different, and harder, surface, but it may also have done him a big favour.  No way did I want to see him beaten by Raonic again.  Also I don't think he'll be the only top player who'll have a few niggles.  Early exits, tanking and withdrawals are only to be expected with the USO so close.

The press really should get a grip on themselves and stop their doom, gloom and despondency speculations.  They haven't a clue what the true situation is here.  Andy has a first-class physio and a great team who will make sure he's as fit as possible for the USO.  Also this shouldn't be seen by him as a setback - his body is screaming out for rest and I really hope he takes more than just a couple of days off.

I get a real buzz every time I see or hear that too. Smile
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray pulls out of Toronto « Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 06:54 AM »

"Golden Murray" sounds pretty good too. yay
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray pulls out of Toronto « Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 07:49 AM »

I wonder whether Mr L will be able to shift his schedule to spend some time with Andy at Cinci next week given they won't be able to practise together now this week.
I see today's schedule has players playing twice [weather permitting].  That would have been a nightmare for Andy in his current physical condition, if he'd managed to beat Raonic and that was a big if in the circumstances.  In a way he's done the organisers a favour.  He turned up as Olympic champion and gave them a decent match,  But now he's helped the scheduling and their man by withdrawing.  I hope he sleeps through the clock while the rain pours down outside.
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Murray pulls out of Toronto « Reply #22 on: August 10, 2012, 08:07 AM »

Let's hope he is fit for Cinncinata. Two important reasons, firstly he has points to defend, secondly its vital preparation for the USO.

Get well soon Andy!
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray pulls out of Toronto « Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 08:16 AM »

I think they will fly to Cinncinati today, where he can continue his treatment and get some easy work on the court, thus getting used to the surface. There is no point staying in Toronto with the wet weather seemingly set for the week. I'm sure Lendl will fly with him to do their training work together before Cinci tournament.
[ Last edit by michelle August 10, 2012, 01:05 PM ] IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Murray pulls out of Toronto « Reply #24 on: August 10, 2012, 08:44 AM »

From Andy yesterday on his injury:

“Normally when I move on to hard courts, I have 10 days or so practising and you feel things like this, but you can work around it by doing the right training and what not,” said Murray. “I don’t want to go full out and possibly do any more damage. That was why I decided not to play.”

“Over the next few days we’ll come up with a plan and strategy to either get myself ready for Cincinnati, or if not, then plan for the best way to prepare for the U.S. Open,” said Murray. “But today I won’t think about any strategies or whatever. It’ll just be about what’s the next move and where do we go from here.”

Tragic if he's not going to be fit for the USO, or is forced to start the GS poorly prepared for the HC surface.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Murray pulls out of Toronto « Reply #25 on: August 10, 2012, 08:47 AM »

I think we all worry. Non of us want to see an injury messing things up for him at this stage. However I really do think it was a tactical withdrawal more than anything. He finished the match against Cipola just fine - no sign of any major problem, and we usually know when he is hurting on a court. I think the general fatigue and the post Olympic psychological come down finally hit him. The foul weather prospects will have made the decision even easier. His major threats points wise have already been knocked out or haven't played at all.

Still worried though...!!!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray pulls out of Toronto « Reply #26 on: August 10, 2012, 09:13 AM »

The reference to not doing any more damage does suggest that this is more of a niggle than a big problem - at least I hope that's what it means as like Masaka part of me can't help being a bit worried.  As Andy said it's not ideal in run up to USO.  It would certainly make sense if they flew stright to Cinci where the weather will be better and they can prepare on assumption he will play there as I guess he won't have to make a final decision on that for a couple of days.  I think the draw must be today as the men's singles starts on Sunday so unless the knee feels much worse today I assume he'll remain in the draw.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray pulls out of Toronto « Reply #27 on: August 10, 2012, 09:26 AM »

He'll be fine.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray pulls out of Toronto « Reply #28 on: August 10, 2012, 09:49 AM »

Even if he can't play at Cincy remember what happened just b4 Wimbles Fingers crossed
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Murray pulls out of Toronto « Reply #29 on: August 10, 2012, 09:50 AM »

He'll be fine.

Don't really doubt it, but I think I am coming down from my own "Post Olympic high", so I shudder to think how bad it must be for Mr M, who actually had a hard won right to an post match Olympic High.  Mind you "they also serve, who sit shouting at the television...!!!  Without the supporters cheering their heroes on sport would probably be a bit pointless?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »
+ Quick Reply