Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray pulls out of Toronto 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray pulls out of Toronto

(Read 3665 times)
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Murray pulls out of Toronto « Reply #30 on: August 10, 2012, 09:51 AM »

There's no draw announcement as yet on the Cinci/W&S website, but they've not started the working day as yet, it's 5 am there. Must check back a little later to see if its published.

Another date for our diaries is Thursday, 23rd August for the US Open men's singles draw.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray pulls out of Toronto « Reply #31 on: August 10, 2012, 10:41 AM »

Don't really doubt it, but I think I am coming down from my own "Post Olympic high", so I shudder to think how bad it must be for Mr M, who actually had a hard won right to an post match Olympic High.  Mind you "they also serve, who sit shouting at the television...!!!  Without the supporters cheering their heroes on sport would probably be a bit pointless?
I know what you feel like masaka.  Have found it quite hard to settle this week and get down to what needs to be done.  At least I'm sleeping properly again so hope Andy is too!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray pulls out of Toronto « Reply #32 on: August 10, 2012, 04:42 PM »

Even if he can't play at Cincy remember what happened just b4 Wimbles Fingers crossed

That was exactly my thought. I wasn't on here then, so I wouldn't know, but I do know there was a lot of general mass hysteria when Andy went out of Queen's early. The press made it sound as if he had no chance at Wimbledon, and then look how well he did. Since then he has had the Olympics success as well, which should help his confidence even more.

I don't want him to miss Cinci, it might not be ideal, but if it comes to it I would rather Andy miss Cinci if he needs to do that than go to Cinci not 100% and do something that would ruin his chances at the USO.

Andy is doing the right thing now, getting some rest. I'm in no doubt that he will be fine and dandy by the time the USO comes around, even if he doesn't play Cinci.

IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: Murray pulls out of Toronto « Reply #33 on: August 10, 2012, 05:13 PM »

There were several thoughts coming into my mind concerning Toronto. The first one was: how ridiculous that the Gold medallist leaves London with the Games still in full swing without having time to let this tremendous success sink in. Are there really no alternatives in the tennis calendar? When I switched on the Toronto livestream on Wednesday, I just saw Andy taking a MTO. To me this already appeared like a demission. Therefore not surprised. And I also share some of your views on facing Raonic. A tired Andy might not have been able to oppose properly. Another victory would have made Raonic grow even more. So let's hope that our optimism re Cincy and the USO are justified although Andy sounded confident to continue playing in Canada after his first match, which obviously didn't happen. Nevertheless, enjoy how everybody on MW is still on a high. Such a feeling can only linger on over days or weeks after a long time of waiting.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Murray pulls out of Toronto « Reply #34 on: August 10, 2012, 05:51 PM »

There were several thoughts coming into my mind concerning Toronto. The first one was: how ridiculous that the Gold medallist leaves London with the Games still in full swing without having time to let this tremendous success sink in.

Totally agree, he should have pulled out and given himself a couple of days, to wander around the Olympic Village, watch a few events and bask in the well deserved adulation. I assume the Gold Medal winners will get front row seats at the closing ceremony? That is the only thing that has made me want to cuff him round the ear and tell him not to be daft. What is the point of battling on coming back time after time, to try again, if when you finally do pull it off you don't stop long enough to savour it. He needed to consolidate the feeling that a really big victory gives you, (or so I have heard).
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray pulls out of Toronto « Reply #35 on: August 10, 2012, 06:10 PM »

Its the people of Toronto who no doubt were looking forward to seeing some decent tennis,after all it only happens every other year, I feel sorry for. The whole thing is a mess. For the players it is an mandatory tournament and I'm hoping this was Murray's only way to get out of it.
  I await the draw for Cincinatti with apprehension.  Murray was so close to overtaking Nadal in points ranking.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray pulls out of Toronto « Reply #36 on: August 10, 2012, 06:24 PM »

Its the people of Toronto who no doubt were looking forward to seeing some decent tennis,after all it only happens every other year, I feel sorry for. The whole thing is a mess. For the players it is an mandatory tournament and I'm hoping this was Murray's only way to get out of it.
  I await the draw for Cincinatti with apprehension.  Murray was so close to overtaking Nadal in points ranking.

Unless he wins Cinci again he'll lose ground.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Murray pulls out of Toronto « Reply #37 on: August 10, 2012, 06:39 PM »

Andy will miss the planned Olympic celebration in London on the 10th Sept as well as he'll be playing in the USO Final (which I think is the Monday this year) - well, unless he goes out early so let's hope he does indeed miss the Olympic stuff!

Just a pity for him it's not a couple of days later
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray pulls out of Toronto « Reply #38 on: August 10, 2012, 07:01 PM »

Andy would have been mad to hang around until the closing ceremony. Even if he'd decided not to play Toronto he'd have gone over to US to prepare for Cinci and play himself into hard courts having hitched up again with Mr L and get over the jet lag.  He's a professional and he can't afford to bask in Olympics glory with USO on the horizon. It's a shame but that's it. 
If he doesn't play Cinci are there any exhibition matches he could play in run up to USO like he did Boodles before Wimby?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray pulls out of Toronto « Reply #39 on: August 10, 2012, 07:04 PM »

In a way he's done the organisers a favour.  He turned up as Olympic champion and gave them a decent match,  But now he's helped the scheduling and their man by withdrawing.
yes  And they showed their appreciation of his turning up by giving him that mouth-watering gold medal chocolate cake.  Andy looked like a little kid the way he was tucking into it!

From Andy yesterday on his injury:

“Normally when I move on to hard courts, I have 10 days or so practising and you feel things like this, but you can work around it by doing the right training and what not,” said Murray. “I don’t want to go full out and possibly do any more damage. That was why I decided not to play.”

“Over the next few days we’ll come up with a plan and strategy to either get myself ready for Cincinnati, or if not, then plan for the best way to prepare for the U.S. Open,” said Murray. “But today I won’t think about any strategies or whatever. It’ll just be about what’s the next move and where do we go from here.”

Tragic if he's not going to be fit for the USO, or is forced to start the GS poorly prepared for the HC surface.
I'm glad to hear this from Andy himself.  He's taking things one step at a time, which is very sensible.  Try not to worry too much - one way or another he'll be ready for the USO when it comes.

Raonic, quoted in Canada's Globe and Mail - and those wonderful words MOTC again! yay

In the players’ lounge just before Andy Murray’s withdrawal from the Rogers Cup became official, Milos Raonic bumped into the men’s Olympic tennis champion, whom he was scheduled to play in Thursday night’s featured match.

The irony was not lost on either player. In March, after spraining his ankle in the warm-up of a doubles match at the Sony Ericsson tournament in Miami, Raonic had to withdraw in the round of 32, giving Murray a walkover. Five months later, Murray returned the favour.

“I sort of asked him, is he going to be okay and everything,” Raonic said. “I guess we made a joke because I pulled out earlier to him in Miami this year, so it was joke about that. I just wished him that he gets healthy quick, because he’s been playing really well lately.”

Feel a bit sorry for the Canadians though because the interest in this match was, understandably, huge.  But again, that sort of intensity Andy does not need right now.

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray pulls out of Toronto « Reply #40 on: August 10, 2012, 07:11 PM »

The Canadians will get a good evening match tonight Aileen (weather permitting) and I'm sure they can live without the match against Andy, if it means their guy gets through to the SFs of a masters for first time  Whistle
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Murray pulls out of Toronto « Reply #41 on: August 10, 2012, 07:13 PM »

I suspect some of the soreness was simply due to lack of sleep. My completely unfit and knackered joints are fouler than usual when I am very tired. Not too mention I haven't been running around on them for several hours a day under high stress levels for several weeks. Wonder of the comment about Cininatti was a mild form of psychological gamesmanship. Keep his opponents guessing. Berdych has just been beaten in Toronto. I don't think anybody below him will be gaining on his from this tournament.

P.S. I stand corrected about him heading back to Mr L, regardless of the closing ceremony. However I still think it is sad. This was a major triumph. I wish he had time to enjoy it fully. I like most people of us think it will be the defining moment of his career.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray pulls out of Toronto « Reply #42 on: August 10, 2012, 07:18 PM »

I agree Masaka it is sad he couldn't stay in the Olympic Village and enjoy it and it's clear from Andy's interviews that he feels that too but it just wasn't an option as he's also made clear.   I wonder if any other of the professional athletes other than the tennis players competing have been put in this position - I doubt it somehow.  Underlines that the tour is pretty tough though the rewards are commensurate at least for the successful ones.

And from the way they've been talking on Sky it does sound as if pulling out was as much precautionary as anything because of soreness.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Murray pulls out of Toronto « Reply #43 on: August 10, 2012, 07:29 PM »

At least he got his chocolate cake. That was such a nice touch. Not to mention the fact that whoever baked it, must have been delighted with the way he dived into it. It was the cake eating equivalent of an ace...!!! Taking no prisoners.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Murray pulls out of Toronto « Reply #44 on: August 10, 2012, 07:31 PM »

Why is RF practising in Cincy if he pulled out of this tourney siting fatigue?  Mmmmmmmmmm
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »