Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray puts tired Djokovic to bed 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] Go Down Reply
Author

Murray puts tired Djokovic to bed

(Read 3592 times)
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray puts tired Djokovic to bed « Reply #135 on: August 25, 2011, 10:21 AM »

No probs Deb but Fed didn't have the strong competition that Andy has to contend with when he nailed his first grand slam title!
yes very true Patsy, it wont be  long now i feel. yay
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray puts tired Djokovic to bed « Reply #136 on: August 25, 2011, 01:38 PM »

Hi did anyone see the bbc sports news this morning with DJOKOVIC dressed up as Sharapova ?
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Murray puts tired Djokovic to bed « Reply #137 on: August 25, 2011, 01:58 PM »

"This number of matches on tour thing is a bit misleading. If Andy had been more successful, he'd have played more matches. Isner has played only 200 cos he's not as good as Murray or Djokovic and tends to go out in round two or three, while Andy and Nole tend to make semis and finals..."

No its not misleading, at least not as misleading as making generalised judgements on past instances independent of present circumstances..But its not hugely informing until you look more closely either, but it certainly indicates how experienced a player is on the tour compared to another, rather than relying purely on someones age to decide when they are going to win anything.
That's misleading or at least has become much more so now.
Isner has played 200 matches @ 26 because he started playing on the tour in 2007 after college, there are other reasons including how far he's progressed etc, but that will change also (& has changed) as he has `matured`on the tour posting better results, how much better well no -one knows as we cannot tell the future.
I'll say it again as my post was eliminated but using past stats as a measure of how the present and future situation is problematic as one is assuming the future is going to be like the past.
And the tour as it stands is already clearly different from what it was even 10 years ago...
I'm not saying we shouldn't look at past examples at all but we should not be so sure about what they appear to be telling us, that's all.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray puts tired Djokovic to bed « Reply #138 on: August 25, 2011, 03:13 PM »

Yes agreed but it's also that Nole joined the tour at a younger age than Andy isn't it?  And I'd not realised just how much younger.

I hadn't realised that either, Ruthie, it makes quite a difference.
IP Logged
Apollo
Veteran

Re: Murray puts tired Djokovic to bed « Reply #139 on: August 25, 2011, 04:26 PM »

No probs Deb but Fed didn't have the strong competition that Andy has to contend with when he nailed his first grand slam title!
I agree Federer's long run was due to not having good competition.  Along came Nadal and people saw someone who could beat Roger and suddenly others decided they could beat him as well.  Funny how the mind works.  I now think the same thing has happened to Nadal, never the less Andy has some real competition to go against.  But I believe with the right attitude, and a serve that is working, Andy can beat the whole bunch.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »