Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray rallies against spirited Kukushkin 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Murray rallies against spirited Kukushkin  (Read 1661 times)
allyh84
ATP Level

Britain's number 3

Murray rallies against spirited Kukushkin « on: January 03, 2012, 11:35 AM »

Andy Murray showed all his fighting qualities in an exhilarating comeback against Mikhail Kukushkin, who he vanquished 5-7, 6-3, 6-2 in the first round of the Brisbane International.

Murray's new coach Ivan Lendl saw a dogged, determined performance here. Credit must go to Kukushkin, though, who rarely let his head drop and showed his mettle in the opener, courageously dictating points and searching for winners.

In a thrilling first set, Kukushkin stunned his opponent with flat hitting and tricky angles, racing to a commanding 4-0 lead. The Kazakh gave Murray nothing to work with on his serve, particularly the first serve, and began to show guile and grace at the net.

Reeling, Murray began to mix up his game. Deeper serving from the Scot saw Kukushkin statuesque at the back of the court and, better late than never, he gained momentum by surviving two deuces to wrestle the score to 5-2.

Read more (387 words)
This saw Murray buoyed for the first time in the match. After a few chances and errors Kukushkin for once faltered on his serve and threw in a generous double fault to give Murray a break. The world number four held then broke again with Kukushkin rendered clueless by his status as leader.   

At 6-5 - Kukushkin serving for the set - the tie hung on tenterhooks. Kukushkin fashioned numerous opportunities but wilted at the crucial moments. Murray gained yet another break point as Kukushkin, admirably on the attack, narrowly missed with a dangerous looking cross-court backhand. 

However, Kukushkin’s invigorated confidence at the net paid dividends. Murray twice failed to scupper Kukushkin’s barrage at the net. A wayward lob by a drowning Murray gave the Kazakh underdog the set.

But Murray, it seemed, was just getting started. He took the second by the scruff of the neck, grappling for any initiative and finishing points early. Varying his game, the Scot carved out a seemingly unassailable 4-1 lead, slamming home winners at his own will.

Murray displayed considerable athleticism throughout the set, looking to exploit angles and move his opponent around, therefore taking him out of his comfort zone. There was even time for an audaciously creative between-the-legs block from Murray, who was serving for the set. His cool delivery and execution brought him the second set and restored parity with minimal graft or drama.

The new found calm in Murray’s game was crucial in the third. He never panicked when in danger and, in breaking Kukushkin in the fourth game, he hardly controlled the game but did what he needed to do. A lucky net-chord and Kukushkin’s hesitance saw Murray snatch a 3-2 lead.

The Scot’s menacing serve skidded low and offered little change to Kukushkin. Yet again, Murray kept points short and stretched his rival to impossible lengths.  Kukushkin looked weary, rattled, and a short of ideas, brutally illustrated by his dreadful service game at 4-2. Murray capitalised on Kukushkin’s profligacy and, with barely a speck of doubt, served out in a business-like fashion.

It wasn’t easy, but Murray showed no ill effects after a disturbing first set. He modified his approach in the second and pinpointed Kukushkins weaknesses – his desire to keep the rallies tough and gritty, and his slack return of serve.

[ Last edit by Mark January 03, 2012, 01:36 PM ] IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Murray rallies against spirited Kukushkin « Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 11:49 AM »

very spirited comeback from Andy Smile clap  I was getting nervous at the start nervous  but then he pulled it out the bag Smile  this will fire him up..to win this event.. Im sure he can do it  cmon yeah  
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray rallies against spirited Kukushkin « Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 11:51 AM »

Such a typical Murray match.
Opponent comes out like a whirlwind, Andy starts slowly, serve poorly, clutches body parts, swears and scowls, everyone on MW is behind the sofa....As we lose hope...Andy rallies, starts to find rhythm but couldna, wouldna, shouldna win first set and makes life more difficult for himself.
Second set rhythm established and serve returns, opponent starts to have doubts. MW breathes.
Third set we see Murray magic again and with stunning, marvellous shots remember why we love him
Finally Andy ends the match with some style.
Good luck Ivan Whistle
IP Logged
allyh84
ATP Level

Britain's number 3

Re: Murray rallies against spirited Kukushkin « Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 11:52 AM »

Yeah Kukushkin had little in the tank at the end. Looks like a more physical Dolgopolov, very all-guns-blazing, nothing left inside.
IP Logged
Patsy
Satellite Level

Re: Murray rallies against spirited Kukushkin « Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 12:15 PM »

Totally agree with you bbh, your very accurate post made me chuckle! So glad he battled through cos between bills coming in, the vile weather and hubby at home with man flu, I would have been in a right rotten mood! Onwards and upwards hopefully, with the arrival of Lendl- Ivan's the man!
IP Logged
psychological tennis
Challenger Level

Koala's are cute and cuddly

Re: Murray rallies against spirited Kukushkin « Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 12:45 PM »

Happy New Year to one and all,   yay  better late than never, Great write up "allyh84" - seems that our Andy took the game to his opponent in sets 2 & 3, well done Andy  - could it be that Ivan as his new coach is paying dividends already, calm mindset you refer to in your article?
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray rallies against spirited Kukushkin « Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 12:51 PM »

Enjoyed your write up 'allyh84' as i have only just got in and wondered how Andy had faired. Hope this will have helped his confidence and loosened his body.
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Murray rallies against spirited Kukushkin « Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 01:07 PM »

Typical MRC© (Murray Rollercoaster), did just enough to get it done but am more worried about the condition of his knee..
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray rallies against spirited Kukushkin « Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 01:56 PM »

Enjoyed that report Alistair.  Thanks.

Such a typical Murray match.
Opponent comes out like a whirlwind, Andy starts slowly, serve poorly, clutches body parts, swears and scowls, everyone on MW is behind the sofa....As we lose hope...Andy rallies, starts to find rhythm but couldna, wouldna, shouldna win first set and makes life more difficult for himself.
Second set rhythm established and serve returns, opponent starts to have doubts. MW breathes.
Third set we see Murray magic again and with stunning, marvellous shots remember why we love him
Finally Andy ends the match with some style.
Good luck Ivan Whistle
Love that post.  So true!  I must admit I was impressed with Andy's calmness - a few swear words yes, but only one tantrum when he looked at his box, but I notice it didn't last long! Very Happy

The knee does have to be of some concern though with the AO not far off, especially as it's the one with the bi-partite patella.  He really does seem to be unfortnate with the timing of some of the more worrying niggles he picks up.

IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Murray rallies against spirited Kukushkin « Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 03:18 PM »

Murray's comments, courtesy of the Beeb website:

"He was hitting winners from all over the place," said Murray, who withdrew from the season-ending Tour Finals in London with an injured groin in his last singles match in November.

"I was a little bit slow but I wasn't expecting him to come out swinging like that.

"He was hitting the ball great so I was glad I was able to turn it around. You're meant to be ready from the start and I wasn't quite there today, but I played better towards the end, I started to move a little bit better.

"My body loosened up a little bit so hopefully I will pull up OK tomorrow."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No mention of the knee, unless others have seen it mentioned elsewhere. Sounds like rustiness to me, no practice match is ever going to be as intense as a competitive one. I wish he'd be prepared for a guy to play out of his skin from the start though and not allow the first set to get away from him like that, he must have seen it happen enough times now. Or am I being too harsh?
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray rallies against spirited Kukushkin « Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 03:31 PM »

Murray's comments, courtesy of the Beeb website:

"He was hitting winners from all over the place," said Murray, who withdrew from the season-ending Tour Finals in London with an injured groin in his last singles match in November.

"I was a little bit slow but I wasn't expecting him to come out swinging like that.

"He was hitting the ball great so I was glad I was able to turn it around. You're meant to be ready from the start and I wasn't quite there today, but I played better towards the end, I started to move a little bit better.

"My body loosened up a little bit so hopefully I will pull up OK tomorrow."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No mention of the knee, unless others have seen it mentioned elsewhere. Sounds like rustiness to me, no practice match is ever going to be as intense as a competitive one. I wish he'd be prepared for a guy to play out of his skin from the start though and not allow the first set to get away from him like that, he must have seen it happen enough times now. Or am I being too harsh?
Nope......My sentiments exactly!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray rallies against spirited Kukushkin « Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 04:23 PM »

What Andy says:
http://www.brisbaneinternational.com.au/2012/01/difficult-night-for-murray
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray rallies against spirited Kukushkin « Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 04:27 PM »

Didn't see the match so really enjoyed the positive write up and also bbh's description of a microcosm of what it's like to be on the AM roller-coaster.
 BBC website said something about problem with the lower back.  But Andy was implying just some stiffness.  Let's hope that's it. And hope no real problem with knee. 
How has the dubs been going?  And when is his next singles match?  Or are all these questions answered elsewhere?
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Murray rallies against spirited Kukushkin « Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 04:30 PM »

Did not see the match but Andy as usual coming out slowly and letting his opponent get in front of him.
He must try and get a good start if he is going to win at the AO. Seems to take a while to get going,better players are going to take advantage. Won well in the end though but must come out with guns blazing if he is going to win. I always end up hiding behind the couch. He needs to get into the game early and stop giving us all palpitations.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray rallies against spirited Kukushkin « Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 04:35 PM »

Thanks for that scotn.  I see there it talks about his hip rather than his back.  Just hope that Andy is right that it's just pre-season soreness and that he's not hiding something more worrying like he was before 02. 
While I agree he shouldn't let his opponent get in front like that, especially when he'd seen him play big tennis at the start of a match against smugfed, the fact is he's bound to be match rusty the first singles match of the year so I don't think we should be too harsh.  I like the sound of the fact that he was very calm in response and started playing much better tennis without any fuss.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »
+ Quick Reply