Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray rallies to beat Tsonga 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Reply
Author

Murray rallies to beat Tsonga

(Read 431 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Murray rallies to beat Tsonga « on: June 15, 2013, 08:37 PM »

Andy Murray recovered from a set down to beat Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 4-6, 6-3, 6-2 at the Aegon Championships today in a repeat of their Wimbledon semi-final from last year.

The top seed was having problems trying to deal with the Frenchman's power early on, struggling to make a dent in Tsonga's service games. But after an edgy game at 3-3 in the second set he turned it round; winning nine of the last 11 games to surge into his third Queen's Club final.

In the windy conditions it was Murray who provided the early pressure, taking Tsonga to deuce and then earning a break point in the following game. But the Frenchman’s serve came to the fore as he fended off the British number one, and after that Tsonga started to impose himself upon the match.

Murray was making a lot of use of the Hawk Eye system, and after his second unsuccessful challenge his focus seemed to waver. A wild double fault at 0-30 offered up three break points for Tsonga, but the world number two responded well – finding his first serve as he won the next five points in a row to hold.

The Brit was still struggling to get a racquet on the Frenchman’s serve, and after a couple of straighforwards holds Tsonga looked to attack again, taking the match to Murray. And this time he found the breakthrough; a rocket backhand return setting up the break points before Murray served up his second double fault of the game, gifting the fourth seed the vital break. Tsonga then served it out with aplomb, hitting three big serves to take the first set 6-4.

Read more (442 words)
Tsonga continued to serve up bombs as Murray struggled to deal with the Frenchman’s power. And the Scot found himself in more trouble early on in the second set, quickly going down 0-30 after a couple of careless errors. But he was able to dig himself out of trouble again, aided once again by the re-appearance of his first serve.

The world number two found himself in yet another hole at 3-3, and it seemed only a matter of time before Tsonga would break through Murray’s resistance. But suddenly Murray came to life; fending off break points with a big serve and beautiful touch volley, he eventually held serve and then turned the tables on the world number seven. Some aggressive play saw him open up his first break points of the match since the third game, and despite missing the first Tsonga netted on the second as the Brit started to take control.

From the cusp of going a break down deep in the second set, Murray was serving to take it to a decider. Which he did, taking it on his first set point to level the match.

The momentum was now with the British number one, and in the third game of the decider he forged out three more break points with some clever play. But Tsonga responded in kind, battling back to deuce with some heavy hitting, including a second serve ace. Murray would not give it up however, and after half-a-dozen break points he finally seized the advantage with a brilliant volley winner.

Tsonga was trying to get back in the match but the 2011 champion would not relent, and after Murray consolidated the break the fight seemed to leave the Frenchman. Murray broke again in a much more straight-forward game – to love this time – as he raced into a 5-1 lead. And after an hour and 48 minutes he served it out with an ace down the tee - not dissimilar to the one that saw him seal the Olympic gold nearly a year ago.

In the final Murray will take on the defending champion Marin Cilic, who edged out Lleyton Hewitt 6-4, 4-6, 6-2 in the other semi-final. Murray is looking to retain his crown that he conceded to Cilic a year ago.

The Brit will turn out again afterwards for an exhibition match with Tim Henman, Ivan Lendl and Tomas Berdych for Rally Against Cancer. The event is in honour of his good friend and Davis Cup doubles player Ross Hutchins, who is looking to raise money for The Royal Marsden Cancer Charity to thank them for helping him as he battles Hodgkins lymphoma.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter June 16, 2013, 07:11 PM ] IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Murray rallies to beat Tsonga « Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 09:00 PM »

Andy came good in  tough match conditions against an on-form Tsonga.
Look fwd to the full report Smile
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Murray rallies to beat Tsonga « Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 09:18 PM »

Great match report. That's exactly how it was !
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray rallies to beat Tsonga « Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 09:36 PM »

Such an evocative match report tmh - great to relive the match through it.  Must admit I thought Jo W would win after that first set as Andy just seemed so below his usual par.  But he proved once again how he can turn a match round and I loved his more aggressive play as he found his form.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray rallies to beat Tsonga « Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 09:42 PM »

A really great report, you are excelling yourself. You really captured the match and the way Andy dug deep to overcome Jo-Wilfred who came to the match with a very good game plan and which he executed brilliantly for a set and a bit, but Andy is capable of going up the gears and was able to win the third set very easily once he had taken the wind out of Jo-Wilfred's sails.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray rallies to beat Tsonga « Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 10:33 PM »

Thanks great report , great match, Andy really is tuff these days, really good to see him go up a gear when needed.
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Murray rallies to beat Tsonga « Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 10:52 PM »

Super, thanks Luke for the report. Well done, Andy. Confusing day, thought the rain delay had gone on all the while, then see he has played and won! Hoping we'll see a replay of it.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray rallies to beat Tsonga « Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 07:09 AM »

Excellent report clap
Andy's turning into a man of steel before our eyes wub
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray rallies to beat Tsonga « Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 07:49 AM »

Thanks for the brilliant match report TMH! It must have taken you ages, but I've just relived through whole thing with my morning coffee and it's much appreciated! That's the best I've seen Tsonga play in quite a while, but though it was 'hairy', I never doubted for a moment, that Andy would turn it around. Roll on the final!  cmon yeah
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray rallies to beat Tsonga « Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 11:27 AM »

Thanks for the report MH. I thought it was an entertaining, competetive and unpredictable match, which is what was needed after a day of waiting around. The weather here was ridiculous yesterday, torrential rain, bright sunshine, and howling wind. Much calmer today, so hope all goes well at Queens. 
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray rallies to beat Tsonga « Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 11:47 AM »

Thanks for the brilliant match report TMH! It must have taken you ages, but I've just relived through whole thing with my morning coffee and it's much appreciated! That's the best I've seen Tsonga play in quite a while, but though it was 'hairy', I never doubted for a moment, that Andy would turn it around. Roll on the final!  cmon yeah
good for you Caz - you showed more faith than I did  Rolling Eyes.  I did think Jo-W would win after the first set but I wasn't too sad as I reminded myself we weren't even sure Andy would be able to play and there he is in the SF, having played some good tennis this week.  But I loved the way Andy came alive and started playing some really aggressive and smart tennis.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray rallies to beat Tsonga « Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 12:19 PM »

good for you Caz - you showed more faith than I did  Rolling Eyes.  I did think Jo-W would win after the first set but I wasn't too sad as I reminded myself we weren't even sure Andy would be able to play and there he is in the SF, having played some good tennis this week.  But I loved the way Andy came alive and started playing some really aggressive and smart tennis.
Believe me Ruthie......I'm not always without doubt! Sometimes I'm like this  nervous in fact, more often than not!  Whistle
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray rallies to beat Tsonga « Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 09:35 PM »

went through same set of emotions today Caz how about you? - really feared that fall had knocked it out of him, not in terms of pain but confidence on the grass. So wonderful to see him turn it round once again and end up playing brilliantly.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »