Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray rallies to see off Gasquet 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray rallies to see off Gasquet

(Read 1461 times)
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Murray rallies to see off Gasquet « on: March 30, 2013, 01:15 AM »

Andy Murray came from a set down to beat Richard Gasquet 6-7(3), 6-1, 6-2 in the semi-finals of the Sony Open Tennis tournament.

Murray had the chance to serve out the first set, but the Frenchman broke back and took it on a tie-break. However the Brit responded well, bouncing back to take the next two sets for the loss of just three games to move into his first Masters final of the year.

Gasquet dominated the opening stages, peppering his opponent with a broadside of spectacular backhand winners. Murray has made a habit of slow starts in recent times, so being 3-0 down within ten minutes was familiar territory. The Scot was unperturbed by this and began to work his way back into the match.

A confident service hold got the Scot on the scoreboard, before he upped the pressure, passing Gasquet twice to bring up three break points. He took the first and levelled the scores at 3-3.

Read more (202 words)
Murray was now in the ascendency, and another break at 4-4 left him serving for the set. This tournament has seen the Scot making a habit of throwing in desperately poor games at the sharp end of a set, and a sequence of unforced errors and a double fault on break point saw that trend continue. Gasquet capitalised, forcing a tiebreak which he then ran away with.

Murray remained calm, steeled himself, and then proceeded to bludgeon his opponent off court. The Scots groundstrokes and deadly accurate lobs left Gasquet reeling, and he quickly levelled the match at one set all.

Gasquet's movement had dropped noticeably over the course of the set, and the Frenchman called for the trainer at the change of ends. He later revealed that he'd tweaked an ankle injury suffered at Indian Wells.

Murray's momentum was undisturbed, and he broke again at the start of the third. A sloppy service game featuring two double faults saw that advantage erased, but another immediate break proved decisive.

Murray will meet David Ferrer in the final on Sunday. The Scot leads the head to head 6-5, and a victory will see him leapfrog Roger Federer to number two in the rankings.
[ Last edit by Mark March 31, 2013, 12:09 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray rallies to see off Gasquet « Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 01:45 AM »

Don't forget you said during the match that Andy's going to lose in straight, Mh.

[ Last edit by Emma Jean March 30, 2013, 02:20 AM ] IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Murray rallies to see off Gasquet « Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 03:34 AM »

Who-hoo! That was a great show, with a happy ending!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray rallies to see off Gasquet « Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 03:46 AM »

It was a great show alright, but I wish Andy would stop making life difficult for himself.  He had that 1st set in the bag so it was disapointing to see him fail to serve it out and then go on to lose the tie-break.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray rallies to see off Gasquet « Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 03:48 AM »

Will watch the the replay in another 1 hour and will see how 'entertaining' it was...
Anyways, COME ON ANDY!!! cmon yeah
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Murray rallies to see off Gasquet « Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 04:08 AM »

Scintillating performance by Andy, the best this year. If he plays like that again he's going to beat Ferrer.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray rallies to see off Gasquet « Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 06:26 AM »

^ Didn't Gasquet tweak his ankle? Didn't see match but bizarre scoreline.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray rallies to see off Gasquet « Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 06:37 AM »

I don't think he did, he had blisters. It makes me laugh when some of the Coms say Gasquet is playing his best tennis, and then say Andy isn't playing his best! It goes to show how good Andy is, obviously way above Gasquet and I might add Ferrer as well Whistle clap
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray rallies to see off Gasquet « Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 06:42 AM »

Cheers Michelle. And also gather Andy's serve got better at the match progressed, which could explain the score a bit.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray rallies to see off Gasquet « Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 06:42 AM »

:Tut tut Boogers, you went to bed before you wrote your report! :shocking:It had better be worth waiting for Rolling Eyes I thought we saw some wonderful tennis from both players, Andy was the stonger of the two both mentally and physically. cmon yeah
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray rallies to see off Gasquet « Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 08:41 AM »

Have to admit I didn't watch as an exhausting week caught up with me last night.  But great to wake up in the night and hear the result on the radio and great to read now that it was a good match.  Look forward to watching the recorded version.  Well done Andy even if aided by Gasquet's blisters.

In the absence of a proper match report yet, the BBC one is worth reading especially for those of us who missed the match itself
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/21978972
[ Last edit by Ruthie March 30, 2013, 08:56 AM ] IP Logged
Ada jwo
what statement are you making-26 « Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 09:25 AM »

|
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray rallies to see off Gasquet « Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 09:43 AM »

I don't think he did, he had blisters. It makes me laugh when some of the Coms say Gasquet is playing his best tennis, and then say Andy isn't playing his best! It goes to show how good Andy is, obviously way above Gasquet and I might add Ferrer as well Whistle clap

Couldn't agree more, it shows what a high level Andy plays at when he is at his best.

I thought Andy was brilliant last night. Sure, he could have won the first and made life easier for himself, but hey-ho. I think you have to give Gasquet some credit for not backing down, not at that point.

The point for me was that Andy didn't get down on himself, he took the match well and truly by the scruff of the neck in the second and then hardly looked back. A job well done.
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Murray rallies to see off Gasquet « Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 10:36 AM »

He really should have won that first set and we might have got to bed a bit earlier.  Up again at 7 with the sun shining and a brisk walk with the dog.  All in all a rewarding past 12 hours.

Hope he doesn't muck around too much with Ferrer and puts away all opportunities that come his way first time.  A 4.30 match here in the UK, so a nice starter before Easter Sunday dinner.  Well, I hope it will be, otherwise it could spoil my appetite.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Murray rallies to see off Gasquet « Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 11:19 AM »

Ankle/blisters whatever - didn't affect the result.  Sure, Gasquet is brilliant in phases.  Andy is brilliant all the time (despite the odd lapses).
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »