Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray rips it up in the Thunderdome 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray rips it up in the Thunderdome

(Read 1541 times)
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Murray rips it up in the Thunderdome « on: June 28, 2013, 09:02 PM »

Andy Murray put down a marker this evening with a scintillating, mesmerising display of piledriving tennis. With his shots cracking like rifle fire in the thunderdome that Wimbledon Centre Court becomes when the roof slides over, the Scot stormed to a mighty impressive 6-2 6-4 7-5 third-round victory over 32nd seed Tommy Robredo.

Those who endured from behind the sofa Murray’s pre-Lendl displays of pressure-soaking and counter-attacking crawled into daylight tonight to see a player transformed. This match signified the emergence of a brick wall from the wind-blown wisteria of earlier years.

Right from the off, Murray was anchored to a spot in the middle of the baseline. From here, he shuffled left and right, dictating play like André Previn conducting the London Symphony.

With his kick serve jumping all over the greenery in the hothouse humidity and his mesmeric game sending the Spaniard hither and thither, Murray broke for 2-1 with a series of balls drilled mercilessly into the wide-open spaces.

The British number one maintained the ballistics throughout the first set, with some regulation groundshots hitting close to 100mph. He broke again for 4-1, but a relatively sloppy game saw Robredo claw back one break.

Read more (250 words)
Murray refocused and took away the time from his laboriously big-swinging opponent. At 5-2, an increasingly defiant Robredo pounded a forehand into Murray’s backhand corner, only to see the Scot drift a low backhand onto the apex of sideline and baseline. A service winner sealed the set.

Set two saw more of the same, Murray spinning shots from the baseline like a fly shuttle on a weaving machine. With his shoes shuffling over the baseline paint, the world number two sent the Spaniard scampering from corner to corner as his stone-wall groundshots relentlessly found their mark.

Murray’s remarkable and telling statistic of 100% first serves won, backed by a welter of pounding groundshots, helped him capitalise on an early break to take the set 6-4.

In set three, the lightweight Spaniard rolled the dice, firing groundshots way out of his comfort zone and achieving an astonishing level of application in the face of Murray’s unrelenting hostility.

But Robredo’s counter-attack was like a pop gun against the Red Army. With consummate professionalism, Murray brought up a break point at 5-5 with a snap backhand volley to the very margins of the Centre Court. After the Spaniard netted a regulation forehand, the number two seed served out without drama to book a spot in round four.

With Federer and Nadal crashing out before round three, Murray’s fans will be hoping that this display signifies a shark sensing blood. More will be revealed in the rounds ahead, as he prepares to take on Victor Troicki or Mikhail Youzhny in the last 16.
[ Last edit by Grabcopy June 28, 2013, 09:42 PM ] IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Murray rips it up in the Thunderdome « Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 09:07 PM »

Excellent descriptive report !  A great read - and it really conveys the superiority that Murray enjoyed throughout the match. thanks !
IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

What was I drinking last night?

Re: Murray rips it up in the Thunderdome « Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 09:15 PM »

I think it was a tad disrespectful to Tommy he is a good player coming back from injury, which also devalues the manner of Andy's victory. he is no light weight of the tour IMHO.
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Murray rips it up in the Thunderdome « Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 09:16 PM »

Great report Nigel,  Andy  looks so very confident now shoulders back ,head held high .well done.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray rips it up in the Thunderdome « Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 09:17 PM »

Brilliant report, really caught the flavour of the match. It was imperious Andy at his best. Really cheered me up as I watched the match in bed after spending last night being violently sick and today existing on fluids.
The BBC have lost a fitting replacement for Jonathan Overend.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Murray rips it up in the Thunderdome « Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 09:18 PM »

I think it was a tad disrespectful to Tommy he is a good player coming back from injury, which also devalues the manner of Andy's victory. he is no light weight of the tour IMHO.

Tommy's a great bloke, with a good heart, who's done lots of good stuff for charity. I have nothing against him personally. I just used the word lightweight because, in comparison to Andy, that's what his game is. Sorry.
IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

Re: Murray rips it up in the Thunderdome « Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 09:31 PM »

Tommy's a great bloke, with a good heart, who's done lots of good stuff for charity. I have nothing against him personally. I just used the word lightweight because, in comparison to Andy, that's what his game is. Sorry.

No need to apologise, we are all entitled to our opinion, no doubt Federer/Rafa/Djokovic fans will equally be entitled to call Andy a light weight based on slams and what he has achieved in his career to date.

It does not make it right.

Mod NoticeFixed your quote.
[ Last edit by Mark June 28, 2013, 09:37 PM ] IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

Re: Murray rips it up in the Thunderdome « Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 09:55 PM »

Thanks Mark
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Murray rips it up in the Thunderdome « Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 09:58 PM »

Thanks Mark

It barely matters. Your comment was next to worthless in any case.
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Murray rips it up in the Thunderdome « Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 10:00 PM »

Brilliant report, really caught the flavour of the match. It was imperious Andy at his best. Really cheered me up as I watched the match in bed after spending last night being violently sick and today existing on fluids.
The BBC have lost a fitting replacement for Jonathan Overend.
Hope you get to feel better Michelle. hug
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Murray rips it up in the Thunderdome « Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 10:00 PM »

Good report Grabber, if a bit on heavy on the hyperbole! racquet
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Murray rips it up in the Thunderdome « Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 10:02 PM »

Andy's game was poetry in motion today. Your report Nigel is also poetry, it did justice to Andy's game.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Murray rips it up in the Thunderdome « Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 10:02 PM »

Good report Grabber, if a bit on heavy on the hyperbole! racquet

Nope, this was one of his very best. Murray was almost faultless until the third set, when Tommy woke up. Then he raised his game, which was even more impressive.
[ Last edit by Grabcopy June 28, 2013, 10:56 PM ] IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray rips it up in the Thunderdome « Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 10:12 PM »

Andy Murray playing sexy.

If I didn't smoke, I'd be persuaded to light up around now.
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Murray rips it up in the Thunderdome « Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 10:14 PM »

Great report Nigel.  Andy reminded me of his demolition of Andy Roddick at Queens, I thought his tennis was on that level.  I actually found myself telling Robredo to get into the net more and questioning why he went for a particular shot.  That is a first for me, Andy is playing with so much maturity and confidence now.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »