Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray rolls over hapless Haase 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray rolls over hapless Haase

(Read 1523 times)
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Murray rolls over hapless Haase « on: January 15, 2013, 08:10 AM »

In his only previous grand-slam encounter with Robin Haase, Murray had taken the most circuitous route possible to victory. On Rod Laver Arena this afternoon, though, the Scot rolled over the Dutchman in little over 90 minutes, sealing a spot in round two of the Australian Open with a 6-3 6-1 6-3 victory.

Murray is looking to become the first man in the Open era to win his second major in the slam that immediately follows the first. That task was given impetus with two early breaks of serve amid the kind of searing backcourt play that can make grown opponents chew off their own racket arms.

Although an over-adventurous drop shot handed back a break, the number three seed rarely looked troubled, even as he staved off five break points to clinch the first set.

As Murray sent Haase from corner to corner in the second set, the look in the Dutchman’s eyes seemed to be saying ‘I didn’t sign up for anything like this’. The Scot wrapped up the set in just 23 minutes.

Read more (105 words)
After Murray broke immediately in the third set, a minor lapse saw Haase break back, but the Scot broke again for the eighth time to seal the deal.

"I started the year well in Brisbane, but obviously coming into the Slams, the first match is normally pretty tough," said the Scot.

"There's nerves in the build-up. You've just got to try and focus and play solid, not make too many silly mistakes. I did a good job of that today. It's always nice to get through the first round of a tournament, but especially here."

Murray will play Joao Sousa of Portugal in round two.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray rolls over hapless Haase « Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 08:39 AM »

Love the headline Very Happy
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray rolls over hapless Haase « Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 08:58 AM »

Nice report Nigel! I'd love to see repeat performance by Andy in the next round! I'm sure there'll be enough nail biting stuff  further up the line!  Whistle
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray rolls over hapless Haase « Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 09:12 AM »

Super report,Nigel,also a rave review on the Telegraph I only have one thing to say to Murray "That's the way to do it!"
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray rolls over hapless Haase « Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 09:30 AM »

Thanks Nigel , great play from Andy, very impressive .  yay
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray rolls over hapless Haase « Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 09:47 AM »

Cheers Grabc.
That's what we want from Andy in the first week. Nice, quick, energy conserving matches.
Come on!
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murray rolls over hapless Haase « Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 10:15 AM »

Smile There was nothing much to comment on that match, he won and I wish I'd slept through it yawn
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Murray rolls over hapless Haase « Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 10:41 AM »

Great report, Nigel, it was an easy match. The Telegraph have had some good articles over the last few days. Simon Briggs seems to support Andy and writes very well of him.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray rolls over hapless Haase « Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 12:23 PM »

Great report. I'm just watching the highlights on Eurosport. Job done with little fuss,and the next match should be an easy one as well.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray rolls over hapless Haase « Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 12:33 PM »

Enjoyed the report Nigel and hope I'll be able to watch the eurosport highlights, which I recorded, once I'm home again later this week.  It was good to wake up to the news and that it sounded easy peasy -so different from their previous encounter as you say.
Sounds like the heat might be Andy's main opponent on Thursday - they were talking about 40 on the radio
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray rolls over hapless Haase « Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 12:40 PM »

Nice Nigel! Great play by Andy, only 6 to go!! Poetry in motion. cmon yeah
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray rolls over hapless Haase « Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 12:51 PM »

Great report Nigel, thanks.

Andy was fantastic, I thought it was worth staying awake for. Sure, there are some things he can improve, but that is how it should be really. It was just brilliant to see him looking pretty cool and calm on the whole, and playing efficient tennis. He went out there and got the job done quickly. Just what the doctor ordered.
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: Murray rolls over hapless Haase « Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 01:37 PM »

Great report Nigel thanks.
Good win for Andy he played really well I thought. His concentration was good for most of the match.
Looking forward to his next match expecting a win for him, must say that I think he will win that match in three
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Murray rolls over hapless Haase « Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 03:02 PM »

Nigel, excellent report as ever.

Watched the match live as I rarely go to bed much before 2 am on a normal working day. Believe that Haase's two break games were due to Andy's slight loss of concentration, probably because he (Andy) was bored.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray rolls over hapless Haase « Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 03:24 PM »

Great report, Nigel, it was an easy match. The Telegraph have had some good articles over the last few days. Simon Briggs seems to support Andy and writes very well of him.

Just watch Simon Briggs though. He can be silly when he puts his mind to it, although on the whole he isn't too bad.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »