Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray scrapes past Millman 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray scrapes past Millman

(Read 2025 times)
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Murray scrapes past Millman « on: January 03, 2013, 01:04 PM »

Andy Murray reached the third round of the Brisbane International event with a see-saw 6-1, 5-7, 6-3 victory over the Australian John Millman.

Millman has spent most of his career playing challengers and, until this week, had failed to post a single win on the ATP circuit. In the first set the gulf in class was absolute and Murray breezed through in under 40 minutes. The Australian wasn't completely toothless, demonstrating power off the forehand wing, but this was little more than a training exercise for the Scot.

The second set was a completely different affair as Murray's form dropped precipitously. Whether this was due to a minor injury or a simple lapse in concentration is open to speculation, but suddenly Millman looked the better player. Murray struggled to find the court, hitting long or into the net with alarming regularity. Millman capitalised on this generosity, breaking twice on his way to taking the set and levelling the match.

Some semblance of normality returned in the third set, as Millman wilted and Murray once again found his range. The Scot was again tested on his serve but this time held firm.

This was an odd performance from the Scot. Lacklustre early round performances are nothing unusual, but the brilliant first set followed by such a dramatic collapse in form was unusual to say the least.
[ Last edit by boogers January 03, 2013, 02:08 PM ] IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Murray scrapes past Millman « Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 01:14 PM »

Andy Murray reached the third round of the Brisbane International even with a see-saw 6-1, 5-7, 6-3 victory over the Australian John Millman.

More to follow.
  "Scrapes" is a bit of an exaggeration, Boogers, but the second set was certainly dodgy.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray scrapes past Millman « Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 01:27 PM »

Perhaps boogers could make a new year's resolution not to be so resolutely negative whenever Andy falters - and this could be the first opportunity to put the resolution into practice  w00t
IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: Murray scrapes past Millman « Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 01:32 PM »

I had to leave house when the first set was 5:1, and I left in good mood. Now, on returning, I have to read about a tight outcome. so I am going to read the match thread to get the picture.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray scrapes past Millman « Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 01:39 PM »

Oh well, bang goes the 'I will not be goaded by Boogers' resolution.

Scrapes? Seriously?  6-1 5-7 6-3 is a scrape?

Blimey, now who's being a drama queen?

Andy had a second set blip, that was all. Something physical? Maybe? A bit of a dip in concentration? Almost certainly. Either way, he got the job done pretty convincingly in the third. I'm sure he'll be in good nick against Istomin.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray scrapes past Millman « Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 01:41 PM »

Perhaps boogers could make a new year's resolution not to be so resolutely negative whenever Andy falters - and this could be the first opportunity to put the resolution into practice  w00t

Ruthie, some people won't be satisfied until Andy wins all his matches 6-0 6-1. Making things sound worse than they were seems to make some folks happy.

IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Murray scrapes past Millman « Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 01:43 PM »

Did everyone watch the match?
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray scrapes past Millman « Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 01:46 PM »

Did everyone watch the match?

Nope. So I have no right to comment. Just glad Andy won it.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Murray scrapes past Millman « Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 01:50 PM »

I think bogglers has improved. Better than some of the disgraceful headlines last year.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray scrapes past Millman « Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 01:53 PM »

Yes I watched it. Boogers  how many matches had John M played? Four to my knowledge. This was Andy's first match....also John had nothing to defend could hit out at everything. There is always pressure on the seeded player especially at the start of the Tournament,so we can expect better tomorrow from Andy tomorrow.   cmon yeah
[ Last edit by michelle January 03, 2013, 02:16 PM ] IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: Murray scrapes past Millman « Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 01:56 PM »

Even when reading the match thread I felt like being on the all too well-known rollercoaster. We are used to it and do we want it any different (as long as he wins his match)? From  what I saw in the first set, Millman has a solid game, esp. his groundstrokes. And when lower-ranked players face a champion, their ambitions will rise, as Andy knows from the times when he entered the senior stage. Often they cannot maintain such a high level over three or five sets. But as one of you remarked,  the other top players rarely seem to have such first-round struggles.
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Murray scrapes past Millman « Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 02:10 PM »

Oh Ruthie - I wish!! Even the might Novak was beaten by Tomic yesterday - Andy has dips - sometimes he climbs out - sometimes he doesn't - today he did, let's hope tomorrow he's more consistent.
IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Murray scrapes past Millman « Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 02:12 PM »

Scrapes? Seriously?  6-1 5-7 6-3 is a scrape?

Against someone ranked nearly 200 places below him? Against an opponent, who, until this week, had never won a match on the ATP circuit? Yeah. That's a scrape.

It wasn't as if Millman was overpowering Murray either. It was almost entirely unforced errors from Murray's racquet.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray scrapes past Millman « Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 02:14 PM »

Not having watched the match I can't comment on Andy's performance but actually felt that the match report was OK and wasn't too negative.
(This is called the positive reinforcement strategy  Whistle)
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Murray scrapes past Millman « Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 02:19 PM »

Thanks for the factual report, Boogers.

We both watched the same match.

A win's a win, so onwards and upwards.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »