Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray shot down by The Missile 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 9 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray shot down by The Missile

(Read 5411 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray shot down by The Missile « Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 11:45 AM »

The thing I forgot to say is that in my view anyone who thinks Raonic is going to be top five any time soon is having a laugh. He has never won a Masters and not got remotely close to winning a major. He is promising, don't get me wrong, but top five in the immediate future? No chance.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray shot down by The Missile « Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 11:50 AM »

Hi All,

I think too much is being made out of Andy getting frustrated. He smashed a racquet? So what. Baggy smashed half a dozen in a match at the AO (I think) and no one gets on his case. What happened today is not a return to 'bad habits', it's just a man who got frustrated and edgy in a tight match against a tennis equivalent of a brick wall, and a brick wall with a big serve and no obvious personality at that.

The fact is that Andy had match points. Losing them would have been frustrating. What's he supposed to do in a three set match when there is no room for manouvre, stand there and go 'oh well, never mind, silly me'? He's human. Unlike Raonic, Andy shows his feelings on court. Personally I don't want him to be a robot.

My concern is Andy's back right now, not his game. He did look a bit stiff at times against Wawrinka, so maybe it is troubling him again. He's also bound to be feeling some reaction from all of his success this summer, success which hasn't suddenly vanished because he's lost a match to an upstart. Andy has already been quoted as saying there was bound to be some reaction at some point, and I'm sure Lendl would say the same. It happens.

I do think Andy needs a win over Raonic in a best of three soon, to put Raonic in his place, but Andy doesn't need to worry about that now. All he needs to think about is being as right as he can be for the rest of the season. I'd love him to win the WTF, more than Shanghai to be honest, although both would be nice. However, what will be will be at this point. I'm not about to worry about ranking points, although I am convinced Andy will finish the year at three or above.

I think next year's schedule will be interesting to see from Andy's point of view. I'm sure Lendl will advise and guide him to do the right things to get the best out of himself. That's good enough for me.
Well said Teejay. I could see yesterday that his movement between points was poor and that he was having trouble with his back. So hopefully his physio can work on his back and do some accupunture on it as well. I wish those who come down on Andy would give him some slack. I will like to see how they would react if they were in Andy's shoes. I've a feeling we'd all have to take cover!
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray shot down by The Missile « Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 12:13 PM »

Brilliat Teejay. My feelings exactly.  I am surprised at how many on this site are now down on him when only 4 weeks ago the young man beat Djoko in five tight sets and played the equivalent of 3 football matches back to back.  He has had a wonderful year and we should get off his back.
IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Murray shot down by The Missile « Reply #18 on: October 06, 2012, 01:00 PM »

Keh, Murray really needs to pick up his game in the racquet smashing department:

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray shot down by The Missile « Reply #19 on: October 06, 2012, 01:02 PM »

Hear hear tj, michelle and tamila.  We shouldn't allow our own disappointment at a loss to warp our appreciation of what he's achieved this year.   If failure to defend his titles in the Asian swing is the price he pays for his achievements this summer, so be it.  As tj said, we should be more concerned about his physical state ie his back than his mental state and his game.
Re reviewing his schedule: there was a piece in the paper today which said he plans to spend time in Miami after AO practising and preparing for US hard courts (with possible addition of  a US tournament) rather than fly back and forth across the world like he's done in past.  Sounds smart to me.

Just looked at the stats - interesting that his first serve % was 68 which better than previously in the tournament and slightly better than Raonic's.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray shot down by The Missile « Reply #20 on: October 06, 2012, 01:41 PM »

Hi Ruthie and all,

I agree with you, it makes sense for Andy not to fly back and forth across the world in the early part of next year. If I remember rightly, he has struggled, at least over the last couple of years, in that early American run on the hard courts, so it makes sense to me for him to spend the time in Miami preparing himself. To my mind it all comes down to him managing himself, making sensible decisions now, if he is going to make that move upwards.

His stats in the semi with Raonic, as you say, aren't that bad, in fact I think they are pretty good. His FSP, as you say, was the best it has been all week, it was up considerably on the quarter final. I just honestly think he got tired, sore and frustrated, and just didn't have anything left to give today.

People will analyse it to death, but I don't think it's a big deal. I am disappointed, don't get me wrong, but it will only be a big deal if it is allowed to be. At the end of the day, irrespective of what happened before, and I know he had match points and all that, Andy lost in the gamble that is a tiebreak. As long as he is physically all right, and ready to finish off the year reasonably well, I can live with that.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray shot down by The Missile « Reply #21 on: October 06, 2012, 01:56 PM »

Once more I agree with you tj - just wish it wasn't a loss to Raonic who will start getting cocky again.  And just wish there wasn't this sneaking anxiety about the back. 
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray shot down by The Missile « Reply #22 on: October 06, 2012, 02:05 PM »

Well at least there is no Raonic or Berdych in andys half in shanghai. Just Federer !  Although again he doesn't have the easiest draw.  Although I shouldn't think poor Tsonga is to happy. 
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray shot down by The Missile « Reply #23 on: October 06, 2012, 02:07 PM »

Just watched Andy's interview.   He says the back wasn't a real problem today [though that doesn't explain why he didn't sit down between change of ends as someone said] but was sore earlier in the week.  He says it tends to get better the more matches he plays so he's glad he had a few matches before Shanghai.  Not sure how much he's trying to play it down as he's often v reticent about injuries.
He says his main immediate goal now is to be fit and healthy for WTF as he doesn't want to miss them again.  Good.
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Murray shot down by The Missile « Reply #24 on: October 06, 2012, 02:12 PM »

I think Andy played very well to win the 2nd set on a tiebreak against the run of play. A slight shame he couldn't keep it up from 4-1 in the third but then again as Andy is tired having played also in the Doubles, having an extra day rest for Shanghai and not having to play the final may be a blessing in disguise.  Hopefully, Andy won't enter into any more Doubles tournament in the future. It is good to improve the net play but I don't think his body can handle the Singles and Doubles workloads.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray shot down by The Missile « Reply #25 on: October 06, 2012, 02:16 PM »

Andy himself said it was nothing to do with the dubs, though he might have said that because of Jamie.   After a break, it's sometimes good to play dubs to get feel of courts etc and I do think it's improved his net play, but I'm forced to agree with you that he needs to keep it down to a minimum.  To be fair, he doesn't play that much these days. In the past he played dubs in a GS on at least one occasion I think but now it's fairly rare.  Of course with Olympics he played more this year.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray shot down by The Missile « Reply #26 on: October 06, 2012, 02:26 PM »

Two match points. That's what makes this defeat so frustrating. If he'd lost in straights I don't think I'd have cared as much. But two match points. One on a second serve.

When was the last time he lost a match after having match points?
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Murray shot down by The Missile « Reply #27 on: October 06, 2012, 02:30 PM »

I Expect a lot of upsets to happen over the course of the Asian swing, Paris and WTF.  Its quite common actually at the tail end of the  season for players to be unmotivated and tired.  Look at what happened at the wtf last year. That was a mess.  One of the worst tournaments I have ever seen.  Now I'm not saying Andy isn't motivated-  far from it actually, he was just simply beaten by an inspired Raonic.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray shot down by The Missile « Reply #28 on: October 06, 2012, 02:45 PM »

Two match points. That's what makes this defeat so frustrating. If he'd lost in straights I don't think I'd have cared as much. But two match points. One on a second serve.

When was the last time he lost a match after having match points?

It happens. As for your question, I've no idea, but there's not much point in worrying about it now. I just hope Nishikori does to Raonic what he did to Berdych.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray shot down by The Missile « Reply #29 on: October 06, 2012, 02:48 PM »

I was shocked when I saw the result of the match on the net.
Even more shocked when I read that he was leading 4-1 in the last set and even got 2 match points!!
Though Raonic is a good player, I felt Andy would have had the match under control...just trying to convince myself that upsets are a part of the game..
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »