Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray shows Tomic who's the master 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray shows Tomic who's the master

(Read 1473 times)
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Murray shows Tomic who's the master « on: January 07, 2012, 09:44 AM »

Andy Murray and young Aussie Bernard Tomic both play with a particularly beguiling brand of wizardry. However, master Murray dismissed his apprentice today, 6-3 6-2, to move into the final of the Brisbane International.

Before the approving gaze of new coach Ivan Lendl, the world number four was faster, smarter and slicker than the 19 year old throughout.

However, with Tomic initially chopping, slicing, spinning and driving with equal aplomb, it was 4-3 before Murray secured the break, serving out the set decisively with two aces.

Murray broke immediately at the start of the second, which saw the world number 42 attended to by the ATP trainer for a foot problem. The injury dashed any hopes of a comeback and, when the Scot sealed a second break at 5-2, the night crowd's thoughts probably shifted to opening time at Fortitude Valley.

Read more (175 words)
Murray, pursuing his 22nd ATP Tour title, helped them on their way to that delicious first beer with a nerveless love service game to propel himself into the final against Alexandr Dolgopolov.

Murray said, "He started very well but I managed to get into a lot of long rallies at the end of the first set and got through. I'm just moving so much better. It's such a huge part of my game so, when I move well, the rest of my game goes well and it made it hard for Bernard to hit lots of clean winners."

World number 15 Alexandr Dolgopolov reached his first ATP hardcourt final, with a hard-earned 6-3 6-4 victory over Gilles Simon. The Ukrainian, also no stranger to Alistair Campbell levels of guile and spin, needed treatment for a groin strain, although it failed to stem the flow of winners from his rocket forehand.

The singles final in Brisbane will follow the doubles, which starts at midday on Sunday, local time. Murray holds a 2-0 head-to-head lead over Dolgopolov.
[ Last edit by Mark January 07, 2012, 02:23 PM ] IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray shows Tomic who's the master « Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 10:45 AM »

Nice summary Nigel! So glad I got up to watch, Andy was definitely the master, some brilliant shots.
IP Logged
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Re: Murray shows Tomic who's the master « Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 11:48 AM »

The highlights showed Tomic dominating with ground strokes and Andy coming through because of his serve. I take it this was merely partisan editing? 
IP Logged
mumbler

Re: Murray shows Tomic who's the master « Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 12:03 PM »

The highlights showed Tomic dominating with ground strokes and Andy coming through because of his serve. I take it this was merely partisan editing? 

Definitely partisan editing. Tomic played well, but it felt like Andy was in control throughout, serving and defending well and throwing in some cracking return of serves too.

I see the order of play has the final billed as not before 2pm which would be 4am here I think, was hoping it would be a bit later. My girlfriend's staying over and has to get up for work at 6.30. I don't think it'll go down well if I wake her two hours early as I get up to watch the match!
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Murray shows Tomic who's the master « Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 12:08 PM »

Definitely partisan editing. Tomic played well, but it felt like Andy was in control throughout, serving and defending well and throwing in some cracking return of serves too.

I see the order of play has the final billed as not before 2pm which would be 4am here I think, was hoping it would be a bit later. My girlfriend's staying over and has to get up for work at 6.30. I don't think it'll go down well if I wake her two hours early as I get up to watch the match!

Cant she just go to bed 2 hrs earlier (ha ha  lmao) Just serve her breakfast in bed with a rose Smile
She must learn to love Andy!
IP Logged
scotsgeek28
Futures Level

Re: Murray shows Tomic who's the master « Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 12:09 PM »

I watched the end of the first set and second set, Andy's movement was excellent, he hit some great shots including a fantastic retrieving winner with his back to the baseline.  Movement was great, depth of shot was good, serve was going well.  Tomic played very well and was dangerous, he tried as hard as he could, but Andy was just way too good in the end to be honest.

Turning out to be a great start to the year.  It was also Ivan's first match alongside his new charge, I am sure he was suitably impressed!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray shows Tomic who's the master « Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 12:14 PM »

Love that - "The Ukrainian, also no stranger to Alistair Campbell levels of guile and spin," lol

Nothing to add to your usual journalistic (and in this case inventive) mastery except to say that I took a great deal of heart from seeing Lendl in Andy's box.  He definitely inspired my confidence.  Just a shame that it took so long for Andy to get this coaching matter finally sorted out, Lendl having offered his services as far back as March last year, but maybe he just simply wasn't ready for it before on the level of maturity, and Andy has definitely matured considerably in a relatively short space of time.  My flagging optimism for that first GS win has been revived.
[ Last edit by Aileen January 07, 2012, 12:20 PM ] IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray shows Tomic who's the master « Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 12:17 PM »

I don't know who edits the highlights but I don't think he/she is an Andy fan.  I can understand it with Tomic - he is the local lad after all but it was the same with the Baghdatis match - if you had only watched the highlights you would have wondered why Baggy didn't win! 
IP Logged
mumbler

Re: Murray shows Tomic who's the master « Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 12:17 PM »

Cant she just go to bed 2 hrs earlier (ha ha  lmao) Just serve her breakfast in bed with a rose Smile
She must learn to love Andy!

I can imagine where the rose would end up if I tried that!   excl

She's a fan of Andy, just not early mornings.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Murray shows Tomic who's the master « Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 12:18 PM »

Murray broke immediately at the start of the second, which saw the world number 42 attended to by the ATP trainer for a foot problem. The injury dashed any hopes of a comeback and, when the Scot sealed a second break at 5-2, the night crowd's thoughts probably shifted to opening time at Fortitude Valley.
Murray, pursuing his 22nd ATP Tour title, helped them on their way to that delicious first beer with a nerveless love service game to propel himself into the final against Alexandr Dolgopolov.
My fav. bit.
It seems you know Brizzy Nigel! I wish I was there to raise my glass to Andy Murray 2 man down
Skaal!, as we say in Norway.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Murray shows Tomic who's the master « Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 12:24 PM »

Love that - "The Ukrainian, also no stranger to Alistair Campbell levels of guile and spin," lol

Nothing to add to your usual journalistic mastery except to say that I took a great deal of heart from seeing Lendl in Andy's box.  He definitely inspired my confidence.  Just a shame that it took so long for Andy to get this coaching matter finally sorted out, Lendl having offered his services as far back as March last year, but maybe he just simply wasn't ready for it before on the level of maturity, and Andy has definitely matured considerably in a relatively short space of time.  My flagging optimism for that first GS win has been revived.
Agree with you Aileen. Andy needs to let all thing need to mature in his mind. He also has a whole team to think of, not just himself. Finding a person with the right competencies and personality cant be easy. Potentially it could upset the apple cart-  for everyone.

Monfils goes through coaches like paper hankies, its often pointed out. That cant be productive for him.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray shows Tomic who's the master « Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 12:51 PM »

Nothing to add to your usual journalistic (and in this case inventive) mastery except to say that I took a great deal of heart from seeing Lendl in Andy's box.  He definitely inspired my confidence.  Just a shame that it took so long for Andy to get this coaching matter finally sorted out, Lendl having offered his services as far back as March last year, but maybe he just simply wasn't ready for it before on the level of maturity, and Andy has definitely matured considerably in a relatively short space of time.  My flagging optimism for that first GS win has been revived.
I think it was probably no bad thing that Andy didn't rush into responding to Lendl's offer back in March.  I think it may have been good for him to do it for himself for a while.  But clearly now he is ready and both he and Lendl have had time to think through exactly what it will mean.  Kicking myself for not getting up early to watch the match - and not sure I can face 4am tomorrow as got a really busy few days from monday.
What Andy said about movement reminded me of how much this can affect his mood on court.  When he's not moving well he knows he can't play his best and that brings him down and nerves can turn the legs into lead I guess.  So if he can stop the nerves affecting his movement in that way then life would be so much easier when it comes to GS finals.
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Murray shows Tomic who's the master « Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 12:53 PM »

Not only was it partisan editing, but they haven't bothered to upload the whole match onto their site  grr
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Murray shows Tomic who's the master « Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 01:25 PM »

Press conference
http://www.youtube.com/user/brisbanetennis#p/u/2/Cquv9rvJEgY
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray shows Tomic who's the master « Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 02:24 PM »

Some of you didn't like Tomic but he has given a delightful interview on Brisbane web site. He smiles and laughs a lot. In contrast Dolgopolov comes across as really arrogant and humourless.
Agree with comments about so-called "highlights" of the match.  Did Andy really win?
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »