Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray squeezes past Berrer in Dubai 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray squeezes past Berrer in Dubai

(Read 1461 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Murray squeezes past Berrer in Dubai « on: February 28, 2012, 01:52 PM »

Andy Murray has squeezed past German qualifier Michael Berrer 6-3 4-6 6-4 in the first round of the Dubai Desert Classic Championships. This was the Scot's first match since last month's Australian Open semi-final defeat by Novak Djokovic and he looked rusty.

Murray seemed to struggle at times, either with the heat or some unspecified ailment, and he later confessed that he didn't "feel great" as the match kicked off, and felt sick on court.

Berrer is the size and shape of a Panzer tank and his offensive, bullying groundshots looked great until he dropped serve early on to concede the first set. The second looked like going the same way when Murray again broke. But the 31-year-old from Stuttgart came right back and took the set with some flashing backhands.

As the third set kicked off, Murray looked uncomfortable, despite an early break. After handing it back, the Scot was looking rubbery until the qualifier cracked at 4-4, crashing a wayward forehand to give Murray the 11th break of the match and a 5-4 lead. The world number four then finally closed out the match without further ado.

Murray will now face 185th-ranked Marco Chiudinelli in the second round.

It was a frustrating match because I was up a break in the second set, and I gave it back.

In the third set, again I went up a break and gave the break straight back. So I could have made it a little bit easier for myself if I played a bit better.
[ Last edit by Grabcopy February 29, 2012, 11:50 AM ] IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray squeezes past Berrer in Dubai « Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 02:03 PM »

I think the important thing to take from this match, is that Andy won. He didn't berate himself or his box, just kept on battling. Sometimes a match like this is the kick start a player needs to find his form. I hope Andy is not suffering from any nasty lurgies and that it was just something very minor which he will quicly recover from. I'm hopeful that he will progress steadily through the tournament. hug
[ Last edit by michelle February 28, 2012, 07:44 PM ] IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray squeezes past Berrer in Dubai « Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 02:51 PM »

Hoping it's just a 24 hour thing - Gasquet withdrew unwell from his match at a set down.
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Murray squeezes past Berrer in Dubai « Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 03:06 PM »

Am watching tennis channel,Annabel Croft is Comm.She said she had a quick word with Andy and he was 'feeling under the weather'.Didn't elaborate. She is now drooling over Roger,I'm outa here.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray squeezes past Berrer in Dubai « Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 03:25 PM »

I've looked at the report on the ATP website and there's no mention of any illness, despite earlier headline suggesting this, so fingers crossed that if he indeed has picked up something it's minor.

Only managed to watch half the second set, so can't really comment much, but even there Andy was struggling to find his form and was showing signs of frustration, whilst Berrer looked to be playing very well and causing him all sorts of problems. 
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Murray squeezes past Berrer in Dubai « Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 03:29 PM »

Do I really have to endure Castle on Sky now?  What were they thinking? I don't know what is worse. When he talks tennis or when he goes into GMTV mode and starts wittering on about fashion, girlfriends etc.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray squeezes past Berrer in Dubai « Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 03:37 PM »

Gasquet retired after losing the first set feeling 'flu-like'.  I hope there isn't something nasty lurking in the locker room - apart from Smugfed of course!
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Murray squeezes past Berrer in Dubai « Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 03:44 PM »

Do I really have to endure Castle on Sky now?  What were they thinking? I don't know what is worse. When he talks tennis or when he goes into GMTV mode and starts wittering on about fashion, girlfriends etc.
Perhaps this is just a one off - please?????? Can't stand the man. Come back Peter Flemming! Something didn't seem quite right with Andy perhaps there's a virus going round the locker room if Gasquet is also afflicted.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray squeezes past Berrer in Dubai « Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 03:53 PM »

Maybe the BBC paid Sky to take Bouncy off their hands!!
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Murray squeezes past Berrer in Dubai « Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 04:40 PM »

Andy website says he came through after grinding out a tough win over Berrer. 

At least its truthful!
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Murray squeezes past Berrer in Dubai « Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 05:38 PM »

just look at Brisbane and other tournament 1st round  matches   Andy  struggles (sometimes) 
I kind of expected this from Andy today because he  nearly always plays nervous tentative tennis from the start...  in other words he doesn't get out the blocks fast enough in matches..  he was a bit rusty. anyway at least he won which is the main thing Smile  cmon yeah  yay  I hope Andy improves for the next match .. im sure he will !
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Murray squeezes past Berrer in Dubai « Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 06:19 PM »

I DVR'd the match and was pleasantly surprised when I got up for work that Andy's match was being shown on the tennis channel.  I saw he won the first set and got in to see him lose the second set.  I tried not to watch, didn't want to give him bad luck as he seemed to be struggling, but I just had to watch.  Not holding serve after breaking Berrer twice seemed like the old Andy, and if he was not feeling well, his confidence could have been down...but finally glad he came through, champions come through when they are not playing their best.  yay
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray squeezes past Berrer in Dubai « Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 07:01 PM »

One word, disappointed!
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Murray squeezes past Berrer in Dubai « Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 07:06 PM »

Croft said he was feeling nauseous during the game.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Murray squeezes past Berrer in Dubai « Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 07:14 PM »

^She was,nt interviewing him at the time was she?
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »