Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray staggers past Lopez 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Murray staggers past Lopez  (Read 2146 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray staggers past Lopez « Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 03:44 AM »

OMG!  I was bloody right!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray staggers past Lopez « Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 04:44 AM »

Look Murray did well you know he came through! Obviously it was a dog fight he lost more point than he won and he was broken more times than he broke!

If Fish wins tonight then you would expect his match v Roger to be a night match! Which means Murray to have to face the force of Raonic's serve in the blistering heat!

I am sure Murray will turn in a plucky performance and then who knows :-)
I really don't see any reason why Roger should automatically have a night match and Andy a day one.  Apart from anything else there are two show courts.  Also the temperature is set to drop considerably by Monday and it it'll be cloudy as well, so I think we can forget about "blistering heat" even if Andy does have to play during the day.

Anyway I've said goodbye to you once, and I'll say it again, so please buzz off back to FedLand where you obviously belong.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray staggers past Lopez « Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 05:28 AM »

God, I don't think the Americans would cope with yet another night match from Fish!  He's making so many errors at the moment.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray staggers past Lopez « Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 06:26 AM »

I entirely agree with the red hair bit.  I am a red head with fair skin and the heat + humidity absolutely kills me.  When I was a child I lived in Singapore (very high humidity) and was apparently very miserable but when we lived in Egypt I was fine as it is a dry heat.  It could be nature as we tend to burn very easily. 

I hope we do not have another match like this for a while.  My sleep pattern went to pot and I had to get up at 5:30 this morning, but Andy pulled the rsbbit out if the hat a most top players do. 

I don't remember all the media fuss when Federer nearly lost to Benneteau.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray staggers past Lopez « Reply #19 on: September 02, 2012, 06:41 AM »

This heat problem could be very dangerous.  The two juniors who had to be virtuall;y carried off court could cause damage to their internal organs.  I do remember Andy having a mild heat injury at Cincy one year and then could not cope with the heat at USO either.  It is not always because you do not drink enough.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray staggers past Lopez « Reply #20 on: September 02, 2012, 06:54 AM »

I thought that was a quite brilliant review Phil, very poetic in fact "in the shower shampooing his lustrous locks" hmm quite an image you've conjured up there.......Wink
Don't know what was up with Andy in the third, hope it was just the heat.  Think
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Murray staggers past Lopez « Reply #21 on: September 02, 2012, 07:22 AM »

Look it's a concern I mean Murray was what 4-2 up in the 3rd set then all of a sudden he's in a dogfight v Lopez! Raonic will fancy his chances in the last 16 that's for sure.

Hello, ak400.
IP Logged
DramMan

Re: Murray staggers past Lopez « Reply #22 on: September 02, 2012, 07:36 AM »

A win is a win and for that we should be thankful but the way he surrendered two breaks in the third set was downright odd. His movement (or lack of it ) at times was woeful and he didn't seem to mix his shots as well as usual, an (almost?) complete lack of drop shots. His return of service success was very low and in this and most other stats, Lopez was ahead. We can only speculate but a lack of energy seems the most likely explanation as surely a trainer would have attended if it had been a back/leg problem.
He battled through in the end, so get a good rest Andy and be ready for another win on Monday!
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Murray staggers past Lopez « Reply #23 on: September 02, 2012, 08:20 AM »

Good report, Boogers, thank you. I think it was a strange match in that there was no sign of what, if anything, was wrong with Andy during sets 3/4. No obvious discomfort and absolutely no temper of any description, just a lack lustre game - as if he didn't want to play any more. He did, of course, and I'm sure everything will be discussed in camp - all we knew was that he had stopped playing his best and that Deliciano was making the most of it. The Spaniard played brilliantly - lets hope the real Andy returns to battle with Raonic.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Murray staggers past Lopez « Reply #24 on: September 02, 2012, 08:22 AM »

Staggers, runs? Whatever - he won!!! GO ANDY!!  cmonandy
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray staggers past Lopez « Reply #25 on: September 02, 2012, 08:24 AM »

I am sure Murray will turn in a plucky performance and then who knows :-)

Has Federer started giving lessons in how to be patronising? Looks like it.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Murray staggers past Lopez « Reply #26 on: September 02, 2012, 08:26 AM »

I think it was the heat, I do think he would have called the trainer if it was anything else. He knows he has to protect his body. The fact remains, he delivered at the crucial moments, and let's not forget he did it in 4. I also think that Lopez's age and the realisation that a similarly aged player I.e. Roddick, has announced his retirement, may have made Lopez aware that this was one, of not his last chance at this event, and do made him fight to his last breathe. Mr M won that match in 4 sets, in conditions that obviously didn't suit him and that were obviously making him feel really rough.
Surely to win under those circumstances make his performance actually better than against Dodig, which turned out to be little more than a training session for Murray? He has got a complete days rest, on the back of extra rest. I think Raonic will have a fight on his hands. Also Murray is used to battling to the Semi's and Finals of GS. Is Raonic? I suspect Murray will be better at pacing himself over the long haul.
Sometimes the most unexpected matches turn into dog fights, sometimes the ones you expect to be like that are not (M v Fed in the Olympic Final for example). We were not out there, we don't know what was going on. Murray won, which was the desired and expected outcome. What more should we expect or ask of him?  Another reminder, we support Murray remember our "flawed genius". A bit flawed yesterday, probably. A genius to come through it at all, much less in 4 - definitely. We have got what we signed up for, let's not complain about it. He may lose against Raonic, but equally and more likely over 5 sets he will win.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Murray staggers past Lopez « Reply #27 on: September 02, 2012, 08:38 AM »

“It was very hot and humid in the middle of the match and I struggled a bit with that,” Murray explained to on-court interviewer Jim Courier at the end of the match. “Normally after Wimbledon I have three weeks in Miami to get used to the conditions. I didn’t get that this year because of the Olympics, but it was a nice problem to have. This was the first match I’ve played in this humidity for a while so it’s been tough.”

Murray didn't train in Miami,  because of the Olympics,  hence why he struggled badly today with the conditions.     it was so painful that match,  I swear I don't have any hair left.  w00t  but Andy is a fantastic fighter, with a big heart.   this is one of the reasons why he won that match.  Andy better improve for the next match.  hopefully it is a night match,   otherwise  he will have his worked cut out.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray staggers past Lopez « Reply #28 on: September 02, 2012, 08:51 AM »

A very fair match report boogers and enjoyed reading it.
I've thought the lack of Miami acclimatisation may well account for Andy's difficulties in coping with the heat and humidity.  The comms were talking about him clutching at body parts at some point but it doesn't seem like it was a physical injury.  They said he could have asked for trainer/doctor to help deal with heat fatigue or something but perhaps Andy is too principled to use a trainer if no actual injury. 
The match goes to show we can never take any match for granted.  Comms thought Lopez played the best he'd ever played and to his credit he never gave up.  It would probably have been close even if Andy hadn't had his physical problems but at least he'd have wrapped it up in 3.  The good news was that for much of the match Andy was serving well again. And ultimately what really counted was that he produced brilliance just when he needed it whereas in the past sometimes he lost big matches because he lost those key points.  I think that's a testimony to his growing mental fortitude.  But would you believe it bloody Croft seemed to be complaining afterwards that he was so unemotional that difficult to understand what was wrong - can't win can he?
I fear next match will be a day match because smugfed will be playing fish and I'm sure that will get the night slot.  But as it's Labour Day perhaps that changes things and perhaps Ivan can do some lobbying for his man. 
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray staggers past Lopez « Reply #29 on: September 02, 2012, 08:58 AM »

Hi All,

The thing that gets up my nose is that Andy will be criticised for this one, through no real fault of his own. The fact is that his legs weren't functioning in the third. He looked incredibly heavy-legged, and wasn't getting up to the serve anywhere near as well as he had been. It seems clear to me that his physical issues had an impact on his game. I also think most people, most normal people that is, don't think as clearly in those sorts of conditions. Maybe he wasn't thinking as clearly as normal. Frankly, maybe he was a bit caught out by how well Lopez was playing. I still don't think I've ever seen Lopez play a better match against anyone.

I still feel that Andy did brilliantly well in staying calm. The idiots discussing the match (I don't mean Petch and Fleming) took it as him not having the energy to get riled, but I'd go for self discipline and self control.  If Andy had started to get frustrated I'm in no doubt he would now be out of the tournament. Getting frustrated and angry would have depleted his resouces and left him with nothing to fight with in key moments. I think he realised that. I just feel he deserves credit for this significant change in his attitude.

The fact is that Andy missed out on a key part of his training for this part of the year because he was in London winning a gold medal for his country. However, he fought yesterday when he could have thrown in the towel. It's that fighting spirit that makes champions. It's the same sort of spirit he showed to get over the Wimbledon loss and achieve the Olympics triumph.

I do worry about how much Andy has left in the tank now, I'll be honest about that. All I do know is that Andy will fight on Monday. He will do everything he can to be ready and to win.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »
+ Quick Reply