Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray staggers past Lopez 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Murray staggers past Lopez  (Read 2182 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray staggers past Lopez « Reply #30 on: September 02, 2012, 09:03 AM »

Hi All,

The thing that gets up my nose is that Andy will be criticised for this one, through no real fault of his own. The fact is that his legs weren't functioning in the third. He looked incredibly heavy-legged, and wasn't getting up to the serve anywhere near as well as he had been. It seems clear to me that his physical issues had an impact on his game. I also think most people, most normal people that is, don't think as clearly in those sorts of conditions. Maybe he wasn't thinking as clearly as normal. Frankly, maybe he was a bit caught out by how well Lopez was playing. I still don't think I've ever seen Lopez play a better match against anyone.

I still feel that Andy did brilliantly well in staying calm. The idiots discussing the match (I don't mean Petch and Fleming) took it as him not having the energy to get riled, but I'd go for self discipline and self control.  If Andy had started to get frustrated I'm in no doubt he would now be out of the tournament. Getting frustrated and angry would have depleted his resouces and left him with nothing to fight with in key moments. I think he realised that. I just feel he deserves credit for this significant change in his attitude.

The fact is that Andy missed out on a key part of his training for this part of the year because he was in London winning a gold medal for his country. However, he fought yesterday when he could have thrown in the towel. It's that fighting spirit that makes champions. It's the same sort of spirit he showed to get over the Wimbledon loss and achieve the Olympics triumph.

I do worry about how much Andy has left in the tank now, I'll be honest about that. All I do know is that Andy will fight on Monday. He will do everything he can to be ready and to win.
Hear hear tj.  Wish croft and greg would put a sock in it.  Andy can't win with them whatever he does.
IP Logged
lgriev10
Satellite Level

Re: Murray staggers past Lopez « Reply #31 on: September 02, 2012, 09:21 AM »

Well, I tuned in time for the tie break in the first and was initially very surprised that Feliciano had taken him that far. I wasn't able to watch the match properly due to family commitments, I was supposed to be watching the excellent Inspector Montolbano with my daughter and we had prepared a roast chicken supper to go with it, so all tennis watching was stolen glimpses on the laptop, or having the pc on in the same room, but mute.  This added to the tension I can tell you.  I caught the fact that Andy had prevailed in both tie breaks, but was highly aware that Feliciano was playing very well. Andy was not dominating this particular opponent as he usually does.  As one watched both players, struggle with the heat, it became obvious that just standing up was tiring.  All players have to go through matches like this, occasionally, not just Andy, but the wonderful thing about Andy is that he is such a battler, and when it comes to grabbing the vital points, I'm going to have to use a word, seldom associated with Andy, he is ... clinical.  Hence three wonderful tie break successes, doing just enough to win, just when he needed to.  It would have been a terrible disappointment to go out to the lovely Feliciano!  Hopefully he can recover fully, because I really feel that Raonic is going to challenge all the leading tennis players in the next few years, he just has that all encompassing tennis game, so similar to Pete Sampras, in that he will win alot, and that if he gets on top of the men's game, I will probably have to stop watching again.  I really found Sampras games oppressive and boring. I am of course hoping for a strong Andy performance, to hold that hideous future at bay.  God I hope I am being melodramatic, but for me this is a pivotal match for both players!
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Murray staggers past Lopez « Reply #32 on: September 02, 2012, 09:22 AM »

I've not watched the match but will catch the rerun today. From the sounds of it, it was an absolute grind in the heat but the main thing is that Andy pulled through.

How many times has the likes of Rafa, Fed and Djokovic pulled through when it looked like they were going to be beaten in slams? Every top player will most likely have to play 1 tricky match when they're often taken to the brink of elimination and they get through and then go on to win the tournament.
IP Logged
lgriev10
Satellite Level

Re: Murray staggers past Lopez « Reply #33 on: September 02, 2012, 09:27 AM »

Hi All,

The thing that gets up my nose is that Andy will be criticised for this one, through no real fault of his own. The fact is that his legs weren't functioning in the third. He looked incredibly heavy-legged, and wasn't getting up to the serve anywhere near as well as he had been. It seems clear to me that his physical issues had an impact on his game. I also think most people, most normal people that is, don't think as clearly in those sorts of conditions. Maybe he wasn't thinking as clearly as normal. Frankly, maybe he was a bit caught out by how well Lopez was playing. I still don't think I've ever seen Lopez play a better match against anyone.

I still feel that Andy did brilliantly well in staying calm. The idiots discussing the match (I don't mean Petch and Fleming) took it as him not having the energy to get riled, but I'd go for self discipline and self control.  If Andy had started to get frustrated I'm in no doubt he would now be out of the tournament. Getting frustrated and angry would have depleted his resouces and left him with nothing to fight with in key moments. I think he realised that. I just feel he deserves credit for this significant change in his attitude.

The fact is that Andy missed out on a key part of his training for this part of the year because he was in London winning a gold medal for his country. However, he fought yesterday when he could have thrown in the towel. It's that fighting spirit that makes champions. It's the same sort of spirit he showed to get over the Wimbledon loss and achieve the Olympics triumph.

I do worry about how much Andy has left in the tank now, I'll be honest about that. All I do know is that Andy will fight on Monday. He will do everything he can to be ready and to win.

Quite agree with you Teejay.  This was a victory for Andy against an inspired opponent, the conditions and a physical slump, that will hopefully prove to be just a bad day.  Andy showed the determination and character that we all know he has in spades to come through this one in four!  clap
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray staggers past Lopez « Reply #34 on: September 02, 2012, 09:48 AM »

Definitely.  I missed the first set and lost my one and only livestream halfway through the 4th - agony piled on agony - so Phil's report is very helpful.

I don't really think there's much wrong with Andy physically, even if the thought of the earlier back problem still lurks in my mind, although his movement was fine against Dodig.  Let's face it, Andy's basically a ginger-headed, fair-skinned Scot, so it's hardly surprising he finds playing in temps pushing 100F+ difficult, and the humidity won't help either.  As he said himself he missed out on his usual acclimatisation period in Miami this year.  I believe the comms said people were actually leaving the match because they couldn't sit in the heat, so I'd truly like to see how some of his detractors would have coped in the same conditions.

Also Andy mysteriously lost a set he should probably have won.  Well, as Phil says "tennis is a funny old game", and he isn't the first top player to do so in a Slam, and won't be the last, but the fact is that he got it back together mentally pretty quickly, and that 4th set TB spoke volumes.  In addition there were none of the signs of frustration we could have expected from Andy in the past, or at least there weren't in the two and half sets I did manage to see.  These facts in themselves are a major improvement.

I thought Andy looked and sounded remarkably unfazed during his on-court interview, which is more than can be said for his stressed, washed-out fans!  I think he'll be up for Raonic come Monday.
Totally agree with you Aileen. The way he fought back even though he was exhausted because of the heat and humidity, shows me that he will fight through. He will find Milos easier because he hasn't got the same speed as Feliciano. I wanted to give Andy a hug and tell him how proud I was of him. Hope he's back on Ashe and has an evening match.
[ Last edit by michelle September 02, 2012, 10:48 AM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray staggers past Lopez « Reply #35 on: September 02, 2012, 10:27 AM »

@ Igriev 10
Hey! Another Montalbano fan wave
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray staggers past Lopez « Reply #36 on: September 02, 2012, 11:12 AM »

Well said, teejay - Croft and Rusedski drive me nuts.  I would love to know what their comments would have been had it been Fed who came through that match rather than Andy.
IP Logged
lgriev10
Satellite Level

Re: Murray staggers past Lopez « Reply #37 on: September 02, 2012, 11:57 AM »

@ Igriev 10
Hey! Another Montalbano fan wave

Hi bbh, I am indeed, or I should say, we are, as I usually watch it with my daughter.  It's a testimony to how wonderful it is, that there was even any contest between Andy and a another tv programme.  So glad they have the second series!  Meditteranean colour, language, landscape and storie, fantastico!  yay

Have you come across any books of the series, in English?  I'm assuming the series is based on original books!?
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray staggers past Lopez « Reply #38 on: September 02, 2012, 11:59 AM »

I've now read the BBC report and thought it was very grudging.  Yes at one level Andy was unconvincing in that it was more of a struggle than it needed to be.  But they give him insufficient credit for hanging on in there and finding inspiration at key moments in the match against a for the large part inspired opponent.  So nice to read a more balanced account on MW.
Someone earlier wondered if Andy was affected by the loss of crowd support.  I'm not sure how important that was as he's used to playing against the crowd.  But if more of the crowd had been with him it might have helped him battle the exhaustion.  I thought it was unfair of the crowd to take it out on Andy for more than just the subsequent points.  It wasn't for Andy to overrule the umpire. And apparently the call was good anyway.  A pity the umpire didn't allow the challenge.  Still there were clearly a good number of Andy supporters there who were trying to make their voices heard against the tide of the crowd.  I have wondered though how he'd react to playing half empty stadia after the buzz of the Olympics and the Wimby final; it must be something of a let down.

According to Kev Mitchell in the Guardian 2 juniors had to be helped from the court with heat exhaustion.  I'm thinking that Lopez was probably able to prepare in hotter conditions than Andy as he was not involved in the Olympics I think?  It does underline how wise Andy has been to buy a place in Florida and use it for pre-season training and pre-USO training.
[ Last edit by Ruthie September 02, 2012, 12:14 PM ] IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray staggers past Lopez « Reply #39 on: September 02, 2012, 12:36 PM »

Thinking back to Wimby, Andy had 4 four-setters and 2 three setters and I did not worry so much.  Perhaps that, because he has improved so much, I am expecting too much.  The main thing is that he showed his tanacity and won thematch.  I do feel for Lopez as he, once again, did not win even when playing probably the best match of his career. 

If Andy does not win here I hope he only gets to the SF as it would be horrible if he lost yet another final.  I have said ever since Lendl came on bopard that it probably be the AO.

After this match I think he will have the tenacity to beat Roanic who often cannot keep it up.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray staggers past Lopez « Reply #40 on: September 02, 2012, 12:45 PM »

Well said, teejay - Croft and Rusedski drive me nuts.  I would love to know what their comments would have been had it been Fed who came through that match rather than Andy.

Oh Fed walks on water, didn't you know? They would have gone on ad nauseam about him fighting through and toughing out the conditions, not to mention his sublime play and quick wits, keeping cool under pressure, blah, blah, blah. Rusedski would have carried a stretcher on for Federer, whilst Croft peeled him a grape. Marcus would even have sung him a lullaby at the change of ends, just to keep him calm. They're all idiots.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray staggers past Lopez « Reply #41 on: September 02, 2012, 01:01 PM »

Speaks volumes about a person when they'd choose to spend their free time going on opposition fan forums and trying to bait. Does that make you feel happy? Does it satisfy you? I think it's quite pathetic but each to their own.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Murray staggers past Lopez « Reply #42 on: September 02, 2012, 02:08 PM »

Thanks for the match report ! I only watched 1st 2 sets had a girls night out that i was getting ready for and he was 2 sets up and a break at that point when i left so i thought it was safe to leave! Lopez played great even in the first 2 sets and was unlucky not to win the 2nd so im not suprised what transpired in 3rd and 4th.

This result reminds smwhat of that Roddick match Wimb Sf, where Roddick had a poor H2H with Andy, and he and his coach came up with a masterplan to take Andy down, and executed it well, and gave an inspired performance. If anything Andy deserves credit for having the balls too come through it although struggling with the condtions his body and an inspired oppenant. I think it will be fine next round- coming through so many tiebreaks and tough sets can only help against Raonic and the match will probably be quite similar. A few of you mentioned Anabel and Greg being critical of Andy what were they saying? xx
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray staggers past Lopez « Reply #43 on: September 02, 2012, 02:13 PM »

A few of you mentioned Anabel and Greg being critical of Andy what were they saying? xx

Can't remember exactly Rachie but what annoyed me was when Croft seemed to be complaining that Andy wasn't showing emotion so it was impossible to tell what had gone wrong in 3rd set.   As she is someone who is forever chastising him for his emotions on court I thought that really took the biscuit.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray staggers past Lopez « Reply #44 on: September 02, 2012, 02:26 PM »

Great report, Boogers. Thanks. Accurate, fair and funny in parts.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »
+ Quick Reply