Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray storms into semis after epic comeback 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray storms into semis after epic comeback

(Read 1986 times)
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray storms into semis after epic comeback « Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 10:45 AM »

Great report MH.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Murray storms into semis after epic comeback « Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 10:46 AM »

Good stuff Luke - summed up the disparity in Murray's performance levels well.
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: Murray storms into semis after epic comeback « Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 11:06 AM »

Well well well the so called great man out,im not at all suprised as i said on a post a few days ago Fed would lose.I would not be suprised if Delpo beat Novak allthough that will be a harder proposition.I think Andy can beat birdshite just needs to start well right from the off.
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: Murray storms into semis after epic comeback « Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 11:07 AM »

Great report MH
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray storms into semis after epic comeback « Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 11:11 AM »

Firstly, very fair and accurate report, Luke. I am absolutely astonished and with admiration that you could put this report so quickly at 1.30 am. Your command of English is superb.

For Michelle. Let me remind you of my post at 1.10pm yesterday on the Murray vs Cilic stream when I stated about sequences and you accused me of being "The voice of doom". I think you owe me an apology as I was only writing as I saw it. Realistically, I was proven correct. Andy did win as I said, but I also said it would be tough.

I continue to support AM in all his endeavours, but sometimes I step back and try to look at his playing and results objectively.
So was I!
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray storms into semis after epic comeback « Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 11:26 AM »

yay yay What a comeback from Andy, just pure majestic, a true champion!  cmon yeah
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Murray storms into semis after epic comeback « Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 11:57 AM »

I think Andy will be fired up playing on AA again and does not want the prospect of seeing Berdy winning a slam before he does.

Raonic was supposed to the trickiest match of them all and Andy sailed through that with flying colours.

C'mon Andy, 2 more inspired matches to play. Summon the form that carried you to Olympic glory this Sat & Sun.
IP Logged
PETRA

Observe time and opportunity.

Re: Murray storms into semis after epic comeback « Reply #22 on: September 06, 2012, 12:26 PM »

SYC23
I share your reasoning.  This tournament I could only watch the beginning of the Bogomolov Lopez and Cilic matches but fell asleep during each one and they were all iffy.  The Dodig and Raonic matches started too late for me and I had to wait for the results on the 7.00am news on the beside radio.  Those matches Andy played a blinder.  As we are now going on holiday there is little chance of me seeing the next one or two so I beleive if I can't watch, his problems are solved.  Will have to find out the results somehow.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray storms into semis after epic comeback « Reply #23 on: September 06, 2012, 01:22 PM »

Hi All,

Great match report TMH, as always.

Andy clearly hates Armstrong. You could tell, in retrospect, that he was none too happy even before he'd struck a ball. I'd still love to know how much notice was given of the change in court. The match was also earlier than it might have been. I know players have to deal with these things, but I do have some sympathy with the idea that you prepare to play on a certain court, which you know plays a certain way. Had Andy known it was going to be Armstrong surely he would have prepared to play on Armstrong, knowing it is quicker than Ashe. Also, in terms of the match, Andy would have planned for it to be at round about a certain time. It ended up being brought forward effectively. I bet that messed up some of his preparations, such as when to eat etc. He was not a happy bunny.

Whatever happened, Andy found a way. I knew he would. I know he threw a racquet, and I know he was muttering a bit, but the difference for me was that he was clearly livid with being messed about - not that he'll say that - and was playing, to be blunt, crap, in the early part of the match, but he didn't lose control to the degree that he stopped thinking, as he might have done in the past. He regrouped and got on with it.

I think we all know that if Berdych plays well he won't be easy. However, I think the semi being on Ashe will help Andy. He will also get the crowds he so loves. I have a weird theory that the Olympics experience has made Andy a bit of a crowd junkie to be honest, in the nicest possible way. I know he has always loved lively crowds, but he seems to really feed off it now. Does anyone share my view that the crowd might get behind Andy more than Berdych in the semi? I think they might, what with Andy being a former finalist, and then getting to the Wimbledon final this year, and then of course the Olympics gold. There seems to be real warmth towards him in the US. Once Armstrong had filled up last night, although it took long enough, a lot of the crowd were rooting for Andy.

I know Andy's head to head with Berdych. I think we all do. I'm choosing to hold on to the win in Dubai in February this year, where Andy won, before going on to beat a certain Serbian in the semi's. Sure, he lost to Fed that time, but that isn't happening this time, is it?

I just think it could all come down to who wants it more. I just think Andy has shown at the USO that he wants it. I also think that maybe losing to one of the top 3 (well, two really) is something Andy could deal with in time. Losing to the 7 in the world might be harder to stomach. That isn't to say I want Andy to dump a load of pressure on to himself. I want him to go out there, fight for it, and show Berdych who is boss. If he could arrange to give him a whack with a forehand as well that might be fun Whistle.

I wonder who will come through on the other side? I know the obvious name is Djokovic, but I wonder about that. It was interesting to hear Petch say after Andy's match last night that Andy might prefer Berdych in the semi's, but it would probably be Federer. How wrong could he be! I still think schedule could play a part yet.
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Murray storms into semis after epic comeback « Reply #24 on: September 06, 2012, 02:04 PM »

Great report Luke I have a few more white hairs now.He did it though.
Well done Andy.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray storms into semis after epic comeback « Reply #25 on: September 06, 2012, 02:30 PM »

I missed chunks of this match because of people bugging me by coming to visit when I'M TRYING TO WATCH AN ANDY MATCH AT THE USO! so thanks for filling in the gaps, Luke.
If you'd held on about another 2 hours, you could have changed your final paragraph. Very Happy

Frustrating, scary, but inevitably brilliant Warrior-like performance from our hero.
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Murray storms into semis after epic comeback « Reply #26 on: September 06, 2012, 03:41 PM »

I'm sure Ivan and Andy will figure out a way to neutralise Berdy's game come Saturday. Against Raonic, it was an excellent serving performance that kept the Canadian at bay. Andy knew that the slider serve prevented Raonic from teeing off and gave him some drop shots and exposed his weak BH and by the end of the match, Milos was at a loss how to cope.

Against Berdy, his variety and giving different looks, depth and spins will give him the edge over the Czech. Having watched the whole Fed v Berd match last night, Fed tried to fight fire with fire and he was outhit by Tomas. When the Swiss varied things a little, he unsettled him but resorted to a hitting contest again and we know it's one of the hardest tasks to try and outhit Berdy.

The key to the match keep 1st serves % high to avoid giving Berdy a chance to attack the 2nd serve, secondly make the big guy move all over the court. This is something Rafa and Nole does so well against Tomas. If you try and feed him continuous flat balls, he hit back with interest.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray storms into semis after epic comeback « Reply #27 on: September 06, 2012, 05:19 PM »

Hi All,

Just been watching the highlights of last night. Pat Cash was interesting on the subject of Andy. He talked a lot about crisis management, which is what Andy has had to do a lot of at Flushing Meadows this year. He mentioned the Lopez match and, obviously, last night especially. It was interesting to hear his thoughts on whether or not this means Andy has less chance of winning the tournament, whether he has had to do too much, etc. Pat said that he feels that what has happened with Andy has made him match tough. He spoke about the way that Andy has played important points, how he has kept control when his back has been to the wall. Pat feels that Andy is ready to win the tournament, and feels that he is going to.

An opinion, sure, but it's something positive. What he said about the way Andy has dealt with everything thrown at him makes sense.
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: Murray storms into semis after epic comeback « Reply #28 on: September 06, 2012, 05:39 PM »

Hi all great tennis last nite well done to Andy.I heard Pat Cash say he picked Andy to win this slam from the start and he's sticking with that.He said Andys ready for this win now.
IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: Murray storms into semis after epic comeback « Reply #29 on: September 06, 2012, 07:00 PM »

Lost my Internet access for the first set, only read about a dismal Andy start, but still confident. Then found a TV set in the hostel where I'm staying at  the moment (thank God no crazy tennis fans around) only to be completely shattered at 6:3, 5:1. They showed Andy smashing  his racket ,ranting. I thought myself in the wrong Film and really saw the Set lost, if Not the match. Respect to everybody who still believed in Andy in 4. But what I then saw was an unbelievable fight back which kept me glued to the screen to the very end. And to now read about Roger's defeat made this victory even sweeter. My only fear after the second set was they would switch over to Serena. A rollercoaster, indeed.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »