Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray storms into top 100 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Reply
Author

Murray storms into top 100

(Read 810 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Murray storms into top 100 « on: September 29, 2005, 08:18 AM »

UPDATE: Andy Murray will take on Robby Ginepri this morning second on Stadium court after 0730 BST - discuss here.

Andy Murray battled into the top 100 today after he edged past fifth seed Robin Soderling at the Thailand Open to go through to the quarter-finals.

The players exchanged breaks twice in the first set before Murray took the first tiebreak 7-3 to finish the opener 7-6.

In the second set, they once again traded breaks before Murray edged another tense tiebreak 7-5.

Murray will face US Open semi-finalist Robby Ginepri in the quarter-finals after beating his Swedish opponent 7-6 (7-3) 7-6 (7-5).

The 18-year-old will now be awarded automatic entry into January's Australian Open and achieve his target of entering the ATP top 100.

After the match, Murray said:
It's a pretty big deal for me, getting to the top 100 when I'm 18.

I said at the start of the year that's my goal. After the first couple of months a lot of people told me I should have kept quiet.

But I'm pretty happy with myself now.

I wasn't feeling that great towards the end of the first set.

But I took a timeout and got some medication from the doctor. I had a really sore head. I don't know why.

But I thought I played a pretty clever match. I used my slice pretty well and I didn't give him so much pace which I think he likes. I returned well in the first set and when I had to in the second.

I thought I could have served better and maybe attacked a little bit more, but it was a pretty big match for me and I'm just happy to come through.

Looking ahead to his quarter-final match against Robby Ginepri, Murray said:
He's played really well the last couple of months and he's got a lot of experience, so it's going to be pretty difficult.

I'm not expected to win, and I'll have to serve well to stay with him.

- Live Scores!
- Live Chat!
- MurraysWorld Gallery: Thailand Open

Related:
- Thailand Open: Today's Order of Play
- Thailand Open: Main Singles Draw
- Official Thailand Open Website
IP Logged
David
Satellite Level

He's got character! « Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 03:27 PM »

I'm impressed by his attitude in Bangkok. After the disappointment of the David Cup, it took guts to put that to one side and show what he is really made of. Top players on the circuit, must be hoping they don't draw him now, as they know they will be in for a tough match.

Depending on other player's results, he should be 94th in the Race and Entry and if he beats Robby Ginepri he could move up to 90th in the race and 82nd in the Entry.

It's ironic that he suffers yet another physical problem...the headache! Maybe it was jet lag....
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Murray storms into top 100 « Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 03:31 PM »

Yeah, this guy doesn't seem to get nervous, not even on tie-breakers like most players do. Of course the Davis Cup tie seemed to be the only time I have noticed him possibly let the nerves get to him.
IP Logged
David
Satellite Level

Hi Mark « Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 03:36 PM »

Yes I think I will reconsider my view of him when he played the singles in the Davis Cup. It was his first singles match...he was playing for other people rather than himself and was of course a big occasion. I think he disappointed because of nerves.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »