Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray strolls into second round 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray strolls into second round

(Read 1597 times)
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Murray strolls into second round « on: July 29, 2012, 04:43 PM »

Andy Murray eased into the second of the Olympics singles tennis event with a routine 6-3, 6-3 victory over Stanislas Wawrinka.

Most tennis players have a nemesis, and whilst Wawrinka doesn't quite qualify for that title against Murray, he comes close. The pair have met ten times in the past and of those encounters, six have gone the distance. Thankfully for the partisan British crowd an upset never looked likely.

Murray was the stronger player throughout and - most importantly - the most frugal when it came to errors. Wawrinka by contrast had racked up 32 unforced errors by the end of the match. Such levels of profligacy ensured that, whenever the Scot was under pressure, the Swiss inevitably let him off the hook.

Murray will play in the second round on Tuesday.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter July 30, 2012, 02:14 PM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray strolls into second round « Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 04:50 PM »

Hmmm don't think it was quite as easy as you make it sound boogers at least to begin with.  Yes Stan certainly helped with his large number of errors and faults but Andy played some good tennis apart from a short blip and it  felt like more than a stroll to me even if the score line made it look easy. 
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Murray strolls into second round « Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 04:53 PM »

Ok, a minor stroll.... He won.... Moving on.
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Murray strolls into second round « Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 05:13 PM »

Thanks for a quick and fine report. It summed up the match perfectly!
clap
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Murray strolls into second round « Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 05:16 PM »

Hmmm don't think it was quite as easy as you make it sound boogers at least to begin with.  Yes Stan certainly helped with his large number of errors and faults but Andy played some good tennis apart from a short blip and it  felt like more than a stroll to me even if the score line made it look easy. 
  Agreed. the scoreline belies the tightness of the match a bit, although there was never any real doubt that Andy would prevail. Good to get into winning ways on centre Court again though. Not sure about how well the post-Championship  renovations will survive though - the court is looking pretty worn already and its only Day 2
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray strolls into second round « Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 05:27 PM »

Hi All,

I wouldn't have quite called it a stroll, it did have its nervy moments. He's through though, so really you can call it whatever you like yay.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray strolls into second round « Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 05:32 PM »

As Stan has often given Andy a hard time- this looks very encouraging.
Come on yay
IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: Murray strolls into second round « Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 06:10 PM »

Always worried about first round matches, particularly with such tricky opponents as Stan. And it had the usual nervy start for both of them. So  not really a stroll, was it? Nevertheless, while watching I gradually got  the feeling of Andy's growing confidence, which Fed's presence in the box could not shatter. Having his whole wreched lot with him was a rather poor attempt of getting under Andy's skin.Sure, without knowing about Smug's manipulating nature, you might say that he wanted to support his, well, friend is surely not the right word to use. However, us Murray supporters are aware of his dodgy ways of playing psycho games...and we despise it. Unnecessary, especially the fact that good old Mirka accompanied him.
Murray performed excellently in terms of consistency today, and most importantly, played well when it mattered. Surely, his performance was way better then Fed's against Falla yesterday, who I consider as probably the weaker opponent compared to Waw. Onwards to the second round.

IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Murray strolls into second round « Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 06:19 PM »

"It feels good," said Murray after recording his first ever win in the Olympics singles, "I won a doubles match in Beijing, but this was the first singles match [win] for me.
"Obviously there was a bit of pressure for me coming in playing at Wimbledon and in a home Olympics, and after losing the doubles yesterday I wanted to try and make sure I was still involved. I played a good match today."
It was the first time back on a singles court for the world No.4 since losing the Wimbledon final to Roger Federer exactly three weeks ago and the reception and support he received from the home crowd didn't go unnoticed:
"It was great, the crowd did a really good job, really got behind me from the first point to the last and I got a great reception when I went back onto the court and that helped settle me down a little bit."
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray strolls into second round « Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 06:37 PM »

Congrats to Andy,not easy a first round match and the Fed watching.Now I hope he'll sail through the coming matches and catch up on points,so giving himself a chance of overtaking Nadal asap.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Murray strolls into second round « Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 07:14 PM »

Did not know what time the tennis was being shown. Had to keep checking what time it started. I missed the first set but maybe they will show the highlights later. Andy seemed a bit nervous but won anyway. Saw Mr Smug what a dial does he never smile maybe he was trying to hex Andy. Of course maybe he was there to support Stan (poor Stan I think he is better of without Mr Smug's support) who needs a friend like him. The court was pretty full and Andy was well supported.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray strolls into second round « Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 07:25 PM »

Nieminen through to play Andy next round
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray strolls into second round « Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 08:16 PM »

Whoohoo!!!! Great first match from Andy! He looked great, so handsome the colour of his shirt so suited him!, Some stunning shots! Gold Andy Gold!! Smile Great news that Berdych is out!! Smile

IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray strolls into second round « Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 08:48 PM »

Been away so missed everything.
Happy and relieved to hear Andy is past Stan.. always a tricky opponent. Hope it was an enjoyable match for those who watched.
Thanks for report boogers.
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Murray strolls into second round « Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 08:56 PM »

Always worried about first round matches, particularly with such tricky opponents as Stan. And it had the usual nervy start for both of them. So  not really a stroll, was it? Nevertheless, while watching I gradually got  the feeling of Andy's growing confidence, which Fed's presence in the box could not shatter. Having his whole wreched lot with him was a rather poor attempt of getting under Andy's skin.Sure, without knowing about Smug's manipulating nature, you might say that he wanted to support his, well, friend is surely not the right word to use. However, us Murray supporters are aware of his dodgy ways of playing psycho games...and we despise it. Unnecessary, especially the fact that good old Mirka accompanied him.
Murray performed excellently in terms of consistency today, and most importantly, played well when it mattered.  Onwards to the second round.
Hi Counter punch welcome  Good posting!
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »