Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray strolls into second round 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray strolls into second round

(Read 2032 times)
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Murray strolls into second round « Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 09:09 PM »

Whoohoo!!!! Great first match from Andy! He looked great, so handsome the colour of his shirt so suited him!, Some stunning shots! Gold Andy Gold!! Smile Great news that Berdych is out!! Smile

Hi Chris, yeah, Andy looked handsome. Prince charming Smile   I'm not sorry to see the surly Berdych be KO'ed.

* All smiles.jpg (41.89 KB, 638x359 - viewed 285 times.)
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Murray strolls into second round « Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 09:13 PM »

Yeah, Phil, why couldn't you be more negative? lol

IP Logged
caroline
Seed

Re: Murray strolls into second round « Reply #17 on: July 29, 2012, 10:01 PM »

Big fuss over all of the empty seats.Coe said on BBC news it's being looked into and seats will be offered to students,etc etc.Tennis was one of the venues that was mentioned as having to many empty seats.They shoulld be selling tickets to true supporters of these sports at decent prices,instead of all these big corporations,so serves them bl--dy well right that it's being made into a big embaressment for them.I would have loved to have been able to go and watch Andy play,at an affordable price but no chance.Way out of most true supporters price range.Coe now saying they gonna fill these empty venues buy offering people the chance to buy tickets to fill these empty seats.He said they do that at the tennis allready if a seat is empty for longer than 30mins,then people are given a chance to buy a ticket and fill that seat'
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Murray strolls into second round « Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, 10:14 PM »

Seves 'em right that a lot of the empty seats are "prime ringside" so that tv coverage makes the attendance look even poorer than it is.
IP Logged
caroline
Seed

Re: Murray strolls into second round « Reply #19 on: July 29, 2012, 10:26 PM »

Will have to wait and hope that i can go to watch the players at the O2 this year.would have gone last year.Hubby offered to pay for me to go.Instead of buying me a birthday present,but due to ill health was not able to go in the end,so lost out on both fronts.But am determined to go this year,come hell or high water.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray strolls into second round « Reply #20 on: July 30, 2012, 12:48 AM »

I tend to go along with the view that the score doesn't do justice to the match.  There were some long, nail-biting games which certainly couldn't be called a stroll.  Andy did very well in coming through against an opponent who, although not on his best form, had the potential to cause problems.  There's no doubt that Andy has benefited greatly from the increased support he's been getting since the Wimbledon final.  From the Daily Mail -

That famous display of emotion has done the 25-year-old Scot no harm, and the ovation that greeted his return to Centre Court spoke of a warmth towards him that has not been so evident before.

‘The support I got from people I bumped into in the street, from politicians and celebrities, was overwhelming after the final and I’m not really used to that,’ said Murray, who now meets Finland’s Jarkko Nieminen.  I understand that in the past it wasn’t that easy to get behind me because I didn’t look particularly happy on court.'

'Before and during Wimbledon I felt like I had grown up a bit and that my demeanour was better. All the support afterwards was great for my confidence and made me want to get back to work.  Last week I was so pumped to play that it was almost like I was peaking too early. There is a real motivation in wanting to help the team medal count here.’

IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Murray strolls into second round « Reply #21 on: July 30, 2012, 01:11 AM »

Well done, Andy!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray strolls into second round « Reply #22 on: July 30, 2012, 06:31 AM »

Gr8 quote from Andy there clap Thanx Aileen.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray strolls into second round « Reply #23 on: July 30, 2012, 08:50 AM »

Positive piece in the independent which includes the quote from Andy above.  It's funny as the crowd didn't sound that loud during the match watching on tv but perhaps that was because the sound wasn't that great anyway.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/other-events/tennis-pumped-murray-gives-centre-court-plenty-to-cheer-with-opening-victory-7985920.html
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray strolls into second round « Reply #24 on: July 30, 2012, 10:06 AM »

Nice article Ruthie and so good Andy is starting to feel confident cos we all know what confidence does mentally yay
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray strolls into second round « Reply #25 on: July 30, 2012, 11:41 AM »

I tend to go along with the view that the score doesn't do justice to the match.  There were some long, nail-biting games which certainly couldn't be called a stroll.  Andy did very well in coming through against an opponent who, although not on his best form, had the potential to cause problems.  There's no doubt that Andy has benefited greatly from the increased support he's been getting since the Wimbledon final.  From the Daily Mail -

That famous display of emotion has done the 25-year-old Scot no harm, and the ovation that greeted his return to Centre Court spoke of a warmth towards him that has not been so evident before.

‘The support I got from people I bumped into in the street, from politicians and celebrities, was overwhelming after the final and I’m not really used to that,’ said Murray, who now meets Finland’s Jarkko Nieminen.  I understand that in the past it wasn’t that easy to get behind me because I didn’t look particularly happy on court.'

'Before and during Wimbledon I felt like I had grown up a bit and that my demeanour was better. All the support afterwards was great for my confidence and made me want to get back to work.  Last week I was so pumped to play that it was almost like I was peaking too early. There is a real motivation in wanting to help the team medal count here.’

I love this, it's so positive. I can't explain it really, but Andy just looks good to me. I really do feel so much that he is growing up in front of us. I have to say that I've never been bothered by his demeanour before, at least not in itself, but it's the message it sends out to opponents that I think is the point. Andy looks to me like a man on something of a mission now, a man who looks for a way in, not a way out. I also think that positive energy takes less out of you that negativity, and even gives you that bit extra, which has to help. It's all good.

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray strolls into second round « Reply #26 on: July 30, 2012, 02:05 PM »

What I liked in particular is the implication that he feels happier on court now.  And perhaps that's partly because he feels happier in his own skin - or at least that's what I sense.  So yes it's all very encouraging.  yay
IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: Murray strolls into second round « Reply #27 on: July 30, 2012, 02:07 PM »

For all of us it was obviously easy to get behind Andy. And I did not have any problems with his on-court demeanour so far as long as it does not affect his play. On the contrary, I have always been bored by watching players who show no signs of emotions, display a pokerface (or smugface) throughout the match, which some may find a sign of maturity and control, and especially in Fed's case a sign of gentleman- like behaviour. Btw, what has often been considered as ranting at his box is  for me a simple explosion of understandable anger. I am not sure if that is what he sees as "not seeming happy on  court". But sometimes it probably helps to let out your emotions, but that depends on the player, and should not be generalized. I would find it awful if all these characteristics of a player were ironed out so that in the end we have a uniform product. Imagine a tennis world full of Fed- Faces.... shocking
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray strolls into second round « Reply #28 on: July 30, 2012, 02:11 PM »

For all of us it was obviously easy to get behind Andy. And I did not have any problems with his on-court demeanour so far as long as it does not affect his play. On the contrary, I have always been bored by watching players who show no signs of emotions, display a pokerface (or smugface) throughout the match, which some may find a sign of maturity and control, and especially in Fed's case a sign of gentleman- like behaviour. Btw, what has often been considered as ranting at his box is  for me a simple explosion of understandable anger. I am not sure if that is what he sees as "not seeming happy on  court". But sometimes it probably helps to let out your emotions, but that depends on the player, and should not be generalized. I would find it awful if all these characteristics of a player were ironed out so that in the end we have a uniform product. Imagine a tennis world full of Fed- Faces.... shocking
I agree to some extent cp and certainly wouldn't want all emotion drained out of Andy.  But I do think he's hurt himself sometimes by getting so down on himself and then letting his opponent see it.   And I agree that the supposed ranting at the box is usually anger with himself.  Another thing I always remember is Agassi saying in his autobiography that the reason tennis players talk so much to themselves on court is because it's so lonely out there. 
IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: Murray strolls into second round « Reply #29 on: July 30, 2012, 05:54 PM »

Positive piece in the independent which includes the quote from Andy above.  It's funny as the crowd didn't sound that loud during the match watching on tv but perhaps that was because the sound wasn't that great anyway.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/other-events/tennis-pumped-murray-gives-centre-court-plenty-to-cheer-with-opening-victory-7985920.html

Great article. I never had much problem getting behind Andy either but then I may just be one of these partisan Scottish types.  Whistle  I thought the crowd sounded much louder at the doubles on Saturday.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »