Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray strolls past wounded Simon 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray strolls past wounded Simon

(Read 2269 times)
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Murray strolls past wounded Simon « on: January 21, 2013, 09:06 AM »

Andy Murray moved into the quarter-finals of the Australian Open with a routine 6-3, 6-1, 6-3 against the 14th seed Gilles Simon. It was a patchy display by the Brit, but was enough to book a place in the last-eight with minimal fuss.

A fully fit Simon poses little threat to Murray, as demonstrated by the overwhelming 9-1 head to head in the Scot's favour. A Simon battered, injured and exhausted by a marathon encounter in the previous round barely posed a challenge.

It's difficult to read much into this performance. Murray will be pleased to have reached the quarter-finals without dropping a set, but will perhaps be worried about being undercooked.

Murray will face his Cincinnati conqueror Jeremy Chardy in the quarter-finals, who earlier defeated Andreas Seppi in four sets.
[ Last edit by Mark January 21, 2013, 06:32 PM ] IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Murray strolls past wounded Simon « Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 09:48 AM »

Annoyed that I got up at 6 and had to kill an hour, then the game was so one-sided I found myself channel hopping and reading the newspaper at the same time, but a win is a win.  As a supporter I want Andy to win, but as a viewer I want to be entertained, like I was by the joker and stan the man.  Bring back the roller coaster and an adrenalin rush.  I haven't punched the air or sworn at the TV for a while now.  Great to see Ross Hutchins in the studio.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murray strolls past wounded Simon « Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 09:51 AM »

Annoyed that I got up at 6 and had to kill an hour, then the game was so one-sided I found myself channel hopping and reading the newspaper at the same time, but a win is a win.  As a supporter I want Andy to win, but as a viewer I want to be entertained, like I was by the joker and stan the man.  Bring back the roller coaster and an adrenalin rush.  I haven't punched the air or sworn at the TV for a while now.  Great to see Ross Hutchins in the studio.

lol Know how you feel, I caught the end of Andy's match because I wasn't worried Smile Chardy should be more of a challenge next but in the Grand slams I'd expect Andy to go through there...but I will be watching all that one!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray strolls past wounded Simon « Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 10:14 AM »

Great indeed! Smile  I was up anyway and so was able to keep an eye on things and only managed to lie down for an hour.  Off to bed now!

My only comments on this match are that it was (yet another) practice match for Andy and that Simon's Gallic pride was left intact.  He knew he was going to lose but insisted on playing anyway, even if most of us felt that, really, he shouldn't have bothered.  Chardy will be very different.  I watched the last two sets of his match against Seppi and was impressed by his performance.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray strolls past wounded Simon « Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 10:14 AM »

Andy did enough against a wounded opponent. It is difficult to play well in this situation. We will see a very different Andy on Wednesday. I am sure he will get past Chardy and advance to the next round.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray strolls past wounded Simon « Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 10:22 AM »

Andy did enough against a wounded opponent. It is difficult to play well in this situation.
Pretty much what Andy said!

ANDY MURRAY:  Yeah, I mean, it was kind of tough.  A tough situation for both players   more obviously for him.  You know, after the first few games, I mean, it didn't feel like that competitive.  Sort of at this stage of a Grand Slam you're sort of geed up and prepared for a tough battle.

That's why it becomes hard because the emotions aren't quite into it.  You're not quite necessarily feeling pressure, but you're wanting to try to finish the match as quickly as possible.

It was quite a tough situation for both.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2013-01-21/201301211358761988239.html
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray strolls past wounded Simon « Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 10:33 AM »

annoyed it started late as had to leave to get my train just as it was starting but sounds like I didn't miss much in terms of a competitive match.  But FCR you are clearly a masochist!  I'm quite happy to keep the roller coasters matches for those where I don't care so much about the outcome. 
At least Andy will be more wary of Chardy after his defeat in Cinci.  Thought he dealt with the questionning about a boycott well.  An example of how he's getting more confident in dealing with media.
Onwards and upwards Andy
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray strolls past wounded Simon « Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 11:47 AM »

Missed the match but very happy with the scoreline.....I actually expected Simon to pull out but congrats to him for continuing to play...
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray strolls past wounded Simon « Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 02:10 PM »

We don't need any rollercoasters thanks. My head, which suffers when I get stressed, is happy, although it didn't like me spending the day yelling at Wawrinka yesterday! Now that was a rollercoaster!

This one was weird, as there was no real doubt about who was going to win. Andy won't have liked the UE's, but I just think he needs to establish a rhythm. If Lendl isn't concerned, Andy indicated he isn't in one of the interviews, then I'm certainly not. You don't get points for artistic impression in tennis, you just need to win.

Simon did well to play. From Andy's perspective I'm not sure a walkover would have been helpful. As it is, he got to play, but got it done quickly, no messing. It was essentially a practice session after a while, but Andy still needed to get it done, and he did.

Onwards and upwards my son!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray strolls past wounded Simon « Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 02:12 PM »

Forgot to say, respected Andy so much for the somewhat muted celebrations when he won. In that situation, with Simon essentially beaten into submission because he had nothing left, it was nicely done. Classy lad that Andy.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Murray strolls past wounded Simon « Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 03:14 PM »

Andy's cruising...!
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Murray strolls past wounded Simon « Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 03:23 PM »

Forgot to say, respected Andy so much for the somewhat muted celebrations when he won. In that situation, with Simon essentially beaten into submission because he had nothing left, it was nicely done. Classy lad that Andy.

Andy's celebration is always classy. None of the Djokovic circus celebration and short ripping.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray strolls past wounded Simon « Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 04:14 PM »

We don't need any rollercoasters thanks. My head, which suffers when I get stressed, is happy, although it didn't like me spending the day yelling at Wawrinka yesterday! Now that was a rollercoaster!

This one was weird, as there was no real doubt about who was going to win. Andy won't have liked the UE's, but I just think he needs to establish a rhythm. If Lendl isn't concerned, Andy indicated he isn't in one of the interviews, then I'm certainly not. You don't get points for artistic impression in tennis, you just need to win.

Simon did well to play. From Andy's perspective I'm not sure a walkover would have been helpful. As it is, he got to play, but got it done quickly, no messing. It was essentially a practice session after a while, but Andy still needed to get it done, and he did.

Onwards and upwards my son!

Exactly. You can never please all the people all the time. More precisely Andy did what was needed. Nole, Federer, Nadal would have all had similar results given Simon's condition.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Murray strolls past wounded Simon « Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 04:17 PM »

How did Luke magically change into Phil?
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray strolls past wounded Simon « Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 05:31 PM »

How did Luke magically change into Phil?
I put up a holding report whilst Phil was at work. Mark changed the author once Phil had done the report.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »