Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray stutters past Stan 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray stutters past Stan

(Read 1576 times)
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Murray stutters past Stan « on: October 13, 2011, 12:29 PM »

Andy Murray advanced to the quarter finals of the Shanghai Masters with a 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 victory over Stanislas Wawrinka. Matches between the Murray and the Swiss number two are rarely pleasing on the eye and this was no exception.

Murray had yet to play a competitive match thanks to a first round bye and a walkover in the second round, so he could have been forgiven for feeling his way into the match. The Scot had other ideas and came out firing on all cylinders, breaking Wawrinka twice and racing into a 3-0 lead. Unfortunately the fourth game contained more than a trace of clownishness and a series of comedy errors saw the Swiss retrieve one of the breaks.

Murray's baseline game was now stuttering, especially on the backhand wing, but his first serve kept his opponent at bay. A calm service game at 5-4 sealed the set.

Murray has only once beaten Wawrinka in straight sets, back at the 2008 US Open, and that statistic didn't look under threat as the Scot became increasingly lackadaisical. A series of miscued groundstrokes in the eighth game gave Wawrinka the decisive break of the second set.

Murray matches are often prone to dramatic momentum switches, especially when the Scot is not playing at his best. The third set did not disappoint. After scraping through his initial service game, Murray capitalised on some loose play from Wawrinka to stagger into a 3-0 lead. The Swiss then called for a medical timeout to have treatment on his lower back. The interruption hindered more than it helped and Murray immediately broke for a second time. The Swiss was incensed and took his frustration out on his racquet - to the obvious amusement of Murray and the crowd.

There was still time for more drama at 5-1, when Murray was broken serving for the match. Wawrinka ratcheted up the pressure by holding his subsequent service game, but Murray was able to clinch the match at the second time of asking.

Brad Gilbert would be proud - this was Winning Ugly at it's finest.

Next up is the Gilles Simon or Matthew Ebden.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murray stutters past Stan « Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 12:38 PM »

Well he got through and considering his recent wins it doesn't bother me too much Smile
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray stutters past Stan « Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 12:49 PM »

A win is a win, and he will now feel better, don't think he will have much trouble with Gilles or Matthew.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray stutters past Stan « Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 12:53 PM »

Let's hope Ebden beats Simon. Murray should be able to thrash a has-been snooker player.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Murray stutters past Stan « Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 12:59 PM »

Let's hope Ebden beats Simon. Murray should be able to thrash a has-been snooker player.

Thats a bit unfair on Andy. Nigel. But very funny all the same! roflmao
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Murray stutters past Stan « Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 01:00 PM »

Thanks for a very objective review of the match Boogers.

The truth must be spoken and you did it, but remember Andy is just feeling his way into the tournie.

Better things lie ahead.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Murray stutters past Stan « Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 01:10 PM »

Man, you must be a psychic. Ebden wins, and Andy will be playing the has-been snooker player!
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Murray stutters past Stan « Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 01:46 PM »

Methinks Andy has got over the 'tricky' hurdle of the draw. Hopefully it'll be more of a serene progress to the final with at least 600 points guaranteed.

Mayer is giving Rafa a game at the moment so we may not get a potential Rafa v Andy rematch..
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray stutters past Stan « Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 02:05 PM »

Rafa's out...
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray stutters past Stan « Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 02:12 PM »

Yep!
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Murray stutters past Stan « Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 02:18 PM »

There are always plenty of surprises,however we don't want one like this.
Must open up the field for eveyone now.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray stutters past Stan « Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 02:25 PM »

I'm quite happy, as it should make it easier for Andy. Nadal never played nearly as well today as he played on Sunday!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray stutters past Stan « Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 02:45 PM »

Very fair report Phil.  As you say Murray/Wawrinka matches are never pleasant but I thought Andy did reasonably well in the circumstances - first match of tournament, change of surface and balls - and all that on top of the amount of tennis he's played over the last two weeks.  If he had to win ugly then so be it.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray stutters past Stan « Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 03:22 PM »

Good report Boogers.......Thanks!
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray stutters past Stan « Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 03:33 PM »

Great Andy wins dont mind how, Nadal out so go Andy. Does anyone know how the guy Andy was playing yesterday had a bad wrist, then played doubles today!!  and does that mean when Andy wins he dosnt get the full 1000 points?  confused
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »