Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray suffers disappointing defeat to Wawrinka 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray suffers disappointing defeat to Wawrinka

(Read 4263 times)
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Murray suffers disappointing defeat to Wawrinka « on: September 05, 2013, 11:28 PM »

Andy Murray has been knocked out of this year's US Open in straight sets, losing 4-6, 3-6, 2-6 to Stanislas Wawrinka.

It was a disappointingly one-sided match, with Murray being unable to find his best tennis against an opponent in inspired form. His return game, usually one of his main strengths, was lacking, and he was unable to create any break point opportunities. In contrast, the Swiss player's return game was clicking and he successfully attacked Murray's second serve throughout the match, putting the Scot on the defensive and out of position.

Although this was a well below-par performance from Murray, who seemed to struggle to hit through the breezy conditions, credit has to go to the Swiss for the level of tennis he brought to the match. His powerful groundstrokes were lethal on the backhand and especially the forehand side, consistently landing deep and close to the lines, pushing the world number 3 back.

* Andy-Murray-008.jpg (36.34 KB. 460x276 - viewed 29198 times.)

In the first set, as in the match as a whole, it was Wawrinka who was pushing Murray in many of his service games while holding with relative ease. The key moment came when Murray was serving to stay in the set at *4-5. Five set points came and went, with Murray digging deep to get himself out of trouble but still making uncharacteristic unforced errors, especially on the forehand side. At the final deuce, the world number 10 accelerated on a forehand into the corner, setting up his fifth set point. On the break point, Murray's serve down the middle was returned crosscourt to an excellent length and his forehand sailed long; his resistance was over and the set was Wawrinka's.

The Swiss kept up the pressure on Murray, threatening to break him in his first service game of the second set. Although the Brit held, the signs were ominous. Wawrinka kept up the aggressive play, pouncing on any short balls, pounding cross-court groundstrokes into the corners and transitioning effectively to the net.

In the fifth game,  unforced errors again leaked into the world number 3's tennis and he was soon down 0-40. Wawrinka broke with a huge forehand return that set up a crisp backhand into the corner.

Murray managed to extend Wawrinka to 30-30 as he was serving out the second set, but the Swiss was playing with a huge level of self-belief and pounded down an unreturnable serve to take him to set point. Murray missed the return on the next point, a recurring theme of the day's tennis, and the Swiss had a two set lead.

Although the Brit held after being taken to deuce in the first game of the third set, he was broken in his next service game. In somewhat of a lucky moment for Wawrinka, he flirted with the netcord before the ball bobbled over on Murray's side; the Scot netted in reply, setting up another break point for the Swiss. Murray double-faulted, handing the break to Wawrinka.

With Murray serving at *2-4, more errors crept into his game when he least wanted them, and a searing passing shot by Wawrinka saw Murray go down a double break.

What little hope Murray had left was channelled into the last game. With Wawrinka serving for the match at *5-2, Murray managed to get to 0-30 after a double fault followed by a crunching return. But he wasn't able to take advantage, and Wawrinka sealed his win with an overhead winner.

Murray will hope to regroup from this defeat as quickly as possible. He will next be in action in the Davis Cup, where Great Britain take on Croatia in a world group play-off tie in Umag from 13-15 September.

[ Last edit by Katie September 05, 2013, 11:38 PM ] IP Logged
LIBANY
Satellite Level

Connecting to multiple grand slams Murray!

Re: Murray suffers disappointing defeat to Wawrinka « Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 11:53 PM »

oh ! i am so sad for him !

we have to think that tomorrow will be better  !
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Murray suffers disappointing defeat to Wawrinka « Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 12:08 AM »

He looks knackered in the picture above. Maybe he was ill or something, hence why he couldn't make it close, also rarely showed emotion throughout the match.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Murray suffers disappointing defeat to Wawrinka « Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 01:33 AM »

Very depressing result, what a difference a year makes, last year we were dejected at Wimbledon and elated at the USO, this year exactly the opposite.

He needs to get his mojo back as he's clearly struggling with motivation and confidence, maybe losing here will shake him out of his malaise, we know how much he hates to lose and this is the first time he's lost so emphatically since 2010, ironically the last time was to the exact same player.

I'm convinced he will bounce back, but i have my doubts wether it will be anytime soon, maybe the upcoming DC match will be good for him, to hang around with the other GB players might instill him with some passion again as at the moment he's like Rocky Balboa in Rocky 3, he needs to get his eye of the tiger back.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Murray suffers disappointing defeat to Wawrinka « Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 01:35 AM »

Andy must be gutted.

Hope he steers clear of the crap that's 'out there' about him. That's what I do.

If by some miracle he occasionally reads this forum, just want to say:

Andy, you are brilliant, and we are lucky to have you and follow your incredible journey.  clap
IP Logged
myren
Junior

Re: Murray suffers disappointing defeat to Wawrinka « Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 01:58 AM »

Andy must be gutted.

Hope he steers clear of the crap that's 'out there' about him. That's what I do.

Andy, you are brilliant, and we are lucky to have you and follow your incredible journey.  clap
Join you in that thought.
IP Logged
Johnny Handsome
Futures Level

Re: Murray suffers disappointing defeat to Wawrinka « Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 07:13 AM »

In truth he's struggled to get out of second gear since Wimbledon...needed to go deep in one of those masters series IMO just to see where his game was at... I know last year he managed to get through battles against Lopez and cilic to find his level but the field proved to be to strong this year.

The disappointing thing was that he'd pretty much decided after losing that first set that he wasn't going to win the match... You'd expect more from a defending champion.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray suffers disappointing defeat to Wawrinka « Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 07:17 AM »

Come on peeps, this time last year he had zero slams.  yay
Clearly from post match interview he needs to re-group after Wimbles. Was a huge moment psychologically. Heck that last game was probably the most tense and stressful I have ever seen. Well, actually I lie, I watched it from the bottom of the garden Whistle
Andy must've been shredded after it.  Think
He  needs space and time to recover. thumb up
IP Logged
circe
Satellite Level

Re: Murray suffers disappointing defeat to Wawrinka « Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 07:37 AM »

Good report Kate.  Andy lived through a nightmare yesterday because his game had taken a holiday.  Hopefully he'll find some bounce back in the Davis Cip next week.  Right now it feels like a change is as good as rest.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray suffers disappointing defeat to Wawrinka « Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 07:48 AM »

Andy must be gutted.

Whilst I share your heartfelt words, I hope he stays clear of the character assasinations on here!         
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Murray suffers disappointing defeat to Wawrinka « Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 08:08 AM »

Scotnadian says it all with her words. The bad thing is not Andy losing but the way he lost. So often he finds a way through a competitor who is playing very well but last night  he could find nothing except heartache. Excellent report Katie. Maybe he can find his game at Davis Cup and I do hope it will help him to recover his confidence which was so clearly lacking last night.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray suffers disappointing defeat to Wawrinka « Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 08:13 AM »

Thank you for a very fair report Katie.  I was dreading facing one of your colleague's hatchet jobs.  Whistle
It's clear that Andy hasn't recovered from the enormity of what he achieved at Wimbledon even if he has tried to persuade himself and the world that he had.  We have to remember that that wasn't on the same level as the average win of a slam. Winning your home slam with the weight of expectation of 77 years on your shoulders was just massive.  I was proud of how Andy conducted himself in what I've seen of the pressa giving Stan full credit and acknowledging he himself played a bad match.  It may be that we won't see Andy at his best for the rest of this year - though perhaps the WTF will help to remotivate him.  And I hope being with the team at DC will help even if won't give him the same lift as when it was in Scotland.  In the mean time I hope all his fans on MW will give him the space he needs and the respect and support he deserves.  I'm still proud of you Andy even if this was a hugely disappointing performance.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Murray suffers disappointing defeat to Wawrinka « Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 08:38 AM »

Thank goodness that Katie was writing the match report, I was dreading another Booger's special. A very fair report. Thank you.

I agree completely with Scotnadian.

Unlike many of his so called fans who post on here, I am not disgusted with the result, or ashamed to be a Murray fan. I am disappointed, but mainly for him.

Being a pragmatic sort of person my response to this loss is there must have been a reason.

He hasn't played well for much if this year. That to me suggests that perhaps the back is becoming more of a problem than he is letting on. Unlike a certain Kneedal, injuries and chronic weaknesses are never going to miraculously disappear.  I said on another thread that as he got older I would expect those problems to have an increasing impact. It could be that he has tried over the last couple of months to minimise them to enable him to defend his first slam.  Equally it could be, as he said in his press conference, that having achieved his lifetime's ambition this time last year, followed by the Holy Grail of tennis in July that it has been harder to re motivate himself.

I haven't noticed Del Potro defending his first GS, or managing to pick up another one.

This is a situation not without precedent in British sport - you only have to look at Bradley Wiggins for that. The difference being that there are a lot of other cyclists in the British cycling squad to pick up the slack, and take some of the pressure off. Andy Murray doesn't have that indulgence. There us no one else to slot in to pick up the next Grand Slam.

For those that cry "Kneedal, or Djokovic or Federer don't behave like that, he should be more like them". I for one am immeasurably grateful that he does not. Two of them highly suspect on the doping front, and one arrogance personified. I'll pass on that thanks.

All I know is that he has given me immense pleasure in the 2 or 3 years I have been following him, and I thank him for that.

If he has given all he can give, and achieving what he has achieved has left him burnt out, with nothing more to give.  That's fine by me.

I personally think that he will plod on through the rest of the year, do his best in the Davies cup for Britain, and have a good go at the Asain Swing.  Then regroup for next year.

After that I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear the "R" word.

From a purely personal viewpoint tennis since the return of Nadal has been incredibly boring. I am not enjoying it all. This this not the time and place for another "doping tirade", people know my views on that. However until tennis takes meaningful action on that front and becomes rather better at demonstrating that it is a clean sport, then I fear for it. Nothing I have seen since Kneedal returned to the tour has persuaded me it is, rather the reverse.

Andy Murray has won the first Olympic Tennis Gold for this country, since 1906, the first tennis Grand Slam since 1936, and the first Wimbledon Male Singles trophy since 1936 as well. When he packs it in - well that is one hell of a sporting legacy for any man, much less one as troubled as Andy Murray.

Andy Murray I salute you.

[ Last edit by Masaka September 06, 2013, 08:51 AM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray suffers disappointing defeat to Wawrinka « Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 08:56 AM »

From Kevin Mitchell's piece on the pressa:

Andy Murray was resigned, dignified and honest in defeat after his shock exit from the US Open on Thursday night. That is not easy for any athlete. For someone who has gone into a deep funk after losing in the past it was a response that smacked of encouraging maturity.

IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Murray suffers disappointing defeat to Wawrinka « Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 09:10 AM »

From Kevin Mitchell's piece on the pressa:

Andy Murray was resigned, dignified and honest in defeat after his shock exit from the US Open on Thursday night. That is not erasy for any athlete. For someone who has gone into a deep funk after losing in the past it was a response that smacked of encouraging maturity.

It also smacks to me of somebody who knew it was likely to happen, and therefore wasn't surprised. Why bother to really fight if your body is failing and you know there is not a cats chance in hell of getting through 3 more matches, followed by holding the British Team together in the Davies Cup? A fully functioning Andy Murray wouldn't have been beaten down like that on a hard court without an underlying problem.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »