Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray suffers disappointing defeat to Wawrinka 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray suffers disappointing defeat to Wawrinka

(Read 4226 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray suffers disappointing defeat to Wawrinka « Reply #105 on: September 08, 2013, 06:19 PM »

I wonder if the Swiss press spent hours anaylising why Federer got beaten in the 4th Round at the US Open after he first won Wimbledon in 2003? I wonder if they were asking every player and coach they could think of to comment on this 'disaster', and give their opinion as to what was wrong with him? Is any other tennis player in any other country treated the way Murray is.

That's a very fair point. I look at it in two ways. Firstly I think there are people, press and such, who are waiting for Andy to fail so they can have the satisfaction of pointing the finger and suggesting he's fluked his slam wins.

I think you've also got to look at it in the context of what tennis is like in Britain. We used to be known as a tennis nation I suppose, but we haven't really been that for years until Andy came along and showed such talent, Greg Rusedski and Tim Henman notwithstanding. I think we've been so desperate as a nation for so long to have a player like Andy, one that can stand with the very best and hold his head high, that for a long time we, meaning the media and such to be honest, were scared to death he might not live up to people's high expectations. Well now he has, so I think there are people who are scared to death it will all go pear-shaped. It won't of course, Andy's simply too good for that, but our media wouldn't be our media if they didn't fly into a panic over something.

I think a lot of the comments from people within the game have actually been quite balanced and supportive. The consensus seems to be that it's all part of the process and Andy will get through it just fine. It does make you wonder though, if all the analysis and speculation could be considered yet another source of pressure.
IP Logged
HORNET

Re: Murray suffers disappointing defeat to Wawrinka « Reply #106 on: September 08, 2013, 06:52 PM »

Hornet, welcome to MW, also, I totally agree on all counts.

Thank you TJ
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Murray suffers disappointing defeat to Wawrinka « Reply #107 on: September 08, 2013, 08:27 PM »

As long as Federer and Nadal is around, Andy is always going to be at a disadvantage scheduling wise at USO. The other slams have more sensible scheduling and at least Wimbledon will treat it's defending champions with a bit more respect.

Andy will refocus for the run up to WTF and set himself up for 2014. I believe 2014 will be a big year for Andy.

The fact that Andy has achieved another milestone winning Wimbledon, he has exceeded my expectations.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray suffers disappointing defeat to Wawrinka « Reply #108 on: September 08, 2013, 09:38 PM »

I really can't see that a loss in the quarter finals of a Major is a disaster.  Stan played well - Andy didn't play his best - end of story.  Personally, I'd far rather Andy lost to Stan than to Berdych - that I would have found hard to take!
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Murray suffers disappointing defeat to Wawrinka « Reply #109 on: September 08, 2013, 09:51 PM »

I wonder if the Swiss press spent hours anaylising why Federer got beaten in the 4th Round at the US Open after he first won Wimbledon in 2003? I wonder if they were asking every player and coach they could think of to comment on this 'disaster', and give their opinion as to what was wrong with him? Is any other tennis player in any other country treated the way Murray is.

I think it's quite widely acknowledged within the sport that Andy is put under more pressure than other top players. Which make his achievements all the more remarkable. McEnroe said Fed wd never have won 7 Wimbledons under that pressure.

I do also prefer Wawrinka's game to the likes of Berdych - although he is powerful he has lots of variety and range of strokes, I look for his name in a draw cos there are a number of players he comes up against where you feel 'Oh that will be a feast of tennis'.

IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Murray suffers disappointing defeat to Wawrinka « Reply #110 on: September 09, 2013, 12:41 AM »

As long as Federer and Nadal is around, Andy is always going to be at a disadvantage scheduling wise at USO. The other slams have more sensible scheduling and at least Wimbledon will treat it's defending champions with a bit more respect.

Andy will refocus for the run up to WTF and set himself up for 2014. I believe 2014 will be a big year for Andy.

The fact that Andy has achieved another milestone winning Wimbledon, he has exceeded my expectations.

An American friend of mine said that there were comments in the US media that Wimbledon had been quite happy to put the American Serena Williams on court 1 and court 2 on occasion. She said she wouldn't be surprised if messing Andy around was a bit of payback.

IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Murray suffers disappointing defeat to Wawrinka « Reply #111 on: September 09, 2013, 01:28 AM »

I think it's quite widely acknowledged within the sport that Andy is put under more pressure than other top players. Which make his achievements all the more remarkable. McEnroe said Fed wd never have won 7 Wimbledons under that pressure.

I do also prefer Wawrinka's game to the likes of Berdych - although he is powerful he has lots of variety and range of strokes, I look for his name in a draw cos there are a number of players he comes up against where you feel 'Oh that will be a feast of tennis'.

Not taking anything away from Stan's win but I'm not convinced he will be consistent enough to challenge the top 4 in slams. Just as we haven't seen Andy play the type of perfect tennis that he did against e.g. Nadal in Tokyo or Roddick at Queens '11 too often, Stan won't be playing every match painting the lines like he did against Andy in the QF redlining his game. Otherwise, it would be him who would have won 17 slams, not the other Swiss.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray suffers disappointing defeat to Wawrinka « Reply #112 on: September 09, 2013, 06:59 AM »

^ also he's 28. Doesn't get easier.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Murray suffers disappointing defeat to Wawrinka « Reply #113 on: September 09, 2013, 10:21 AM »

And Andy didn't really put him under any pressure which made it easy for him to play his A game.     Djoko wasn't at his best in the semi but still drew UEs from Stan especially as the match went on.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray suffers disappointing defeat to Wawrinka « Reply #114 on: September 09, 2013, 11:05 AM »

I really can't see that a loss in the quarter finals of a Major is a disaster.  Stan played well - Andy didn't play his best - end of story.  Personally, I'd far rather Andy lost to Stan than to Berdych - that I would have found hard to take!

I agree. I think the difference is that Berdych would have got a boost from beating Andy like that, regardless of whether Andy was below his best or not. Stan, as well as he played, must have realised Andy was below his best, way below if we're honest, which gave him the freedom to go for everything, which he duly did. It may well have been a tough match for Andy even if he'd been fresh and so on, but I honestly think Stan has the sense to know it would probably have been tougher for him in that cicumstance too.

The way I look at the USO is that it was a blip. Andy has struggled a bit since winning Wimbledon, but that is understandable. As long as Andy is physically right and sorts his head out, he'll be fine and normal service will resume soon, so there is nothing to panic about.

It will be interesting to see if Stan can maintain this level. If he can he'll be tough for everyone. I wonder though, I really do. I think there are a few players edging a bit closer to those at the top, especially now Federer seems to fade in the slams earlier, which opens draws up, but none of them seem to be able to threaten consistently, not in the slams, which is where it really counts.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray suffers disappointing defeat to Wawrinka « Reply #115 on: September 09, 2013, 11:07 AM »

An American friend of mine said that there were comments in the US media that Wimbledon had been quite happy to put the American Serena Williams on court 1 and court 2 on occasion. She said she wouldn't be surprised if messing Andy around was a bit of payback.

I hadn't thought about that. I believe the USTA has been petty about wildcards before now, so maybe it is a good point.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray suffers disappointing defeat to Wawrinka « Reply #116 on: September 09, 2013, 11:10 AM »

Interesting point about Serena, if true.
Actually all the press I've read have been pretty sympathetic towards Andy's defeat and I think it's helpful they've sought the views of the likes of Mac because it's a way of telling the average punter, who could easily revert to badmouthing Andy, that the defeat was perfectly understandable in the circumstances.   I think this reflects the respect the tennis comms now have for Andy - and rightly so.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray suffers disappointing defeat to Wawrinka « Reply #117 on: September 09, 2013, 11:20 AM »

I've just been reading Greg R's take on the match on Sky's website. I ignored Tennis Barbie's comments in the same piece, on the grounds that she is bad for my blood pressure. The woman has no idea and no empathy.

It's ironic really, a sign of how things have changed for Andy. Greg suggested he thought Andy would really explode at one stage and use that to get back into the match. Greg actually suggested he wanted Andy to get really angry.

I'm not surprised at that coming from Greg so much, he was never frightened of expressing himself on the court. It's just the irony of someone within the game wanting Andy to get very angry when in the past they have criticised him for exactly that.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray suffers disappointing defeat to Wawrinka « Reply #118 on: September 09, 2013, 11:31 AM »

I have been thinking about the article re: Andy's time in Spain.  At the beginning they said that they needed to make him less aggressive.  I do wonder if that is why he found it so hard to be anything but passive.  Lendl seems to have encouraged him to be more aggressive which is no bad thing.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray suffers disappointing defeat to Wawrinka « Reply #119 on: September 09, 2013, 12:38 PM »

I was really surprised by what they said about Andy needing to be less aggressive too tamila.  But it's a bit odd that the passive game then became quite so ingrained in him.  Couldn't quite make it out tbh
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »