Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray surges into quarters 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Reply
Author

Murray surges into quarters

(Read 711 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Murray surges into quarters « on: March 25, 2014, 09:07 PM »

Andy Murray reeled off another comprehensive victory today, thrashing the 11th seed Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 6-4, 6-1 to secure his ninth consecutive win in the Sony Open Tennis tournament as he moved into the quarter finals.

It was a very solid performance from the Brit who was completely dominant on serve, with Tsonga failing to bring up a single break point all match. The Frenchman was looking like making a game of it in set two, but Murray found another gear and never looked back, winning 15 of the last 16 points as he romped into the last eight.

* MurrayvsTsongaMiami.jpg (470.03 KB. 1600x900 - viewed 18829 times.)

A strong start from the Brit saw him break as early as the third game; dragging Tsonga all over the court and waiting for the Frenchman to fire a wild forehand out of court – which he obliged, repeatedly. A love hold for Murray made it 3-1 and the Scot quickly carved another couple of break points in the next game.

But Tsonga saved the first with a stunning whipped forehand that caught the line, and the Frenchman finally seemed to come to life, saving the second with an ace and then fending off another three before holding as he looked to get back into the contest. But the Brit was serving very well and Tsonga was struggling to so much as make a dent in his service games, as Murray steadily edged towards taking the opening set.

There were worrying signs for Murray when he called for the trainer a few games later, asking for some anti-inflammatory painkillers. But it appeared to be only a minor hindrance, as the sixth seed returned to court to hold to love, before another straight-forward hold minutes later secured the opening set 6-4.

The two shared holds early in set two before Murray made his move in game three - again. Tsonga saved one break point with a brilliant pass, and looked to be gaining confidence as he hit a thundering forehand for game point. But the Wimbledon champion dug his heels in, and managed to bring up a couple more break points before finally sealing the breakthrough with a drive volley winner.

A wild forehand from Murray gave the Frenchman an opening in the following game at 15-30, but suddenly Murray shifted a gear and stormed completely out of sight – winning the next 14 points in succession to race into a 5-1 lead. An explosive forehand winner helped the Brit towards three match points and he sealed the match on his second to complete a very commanding victory.

The win sends Murray into the quarter-finals where old foe Novak Djokovic awaits, who earlier edged out veteran Spaniard Tommy Robredo 6-3, 7-5.

IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Murray surges into quarters « Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 09:16 PM »

Thanks for the prompt report MH.  Couldn't get the see the match so your musings are appreciated.

MP
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Murray surges into quarters « Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 10:46 PM »

Good report. Thanks.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray surges into quarters « Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 12:35 AM »

Thanks from me too Luke.  Nice to see Andy getting off to good start again.  Hopefully the days of the slow ones are behind him.  Also he seems to have realised that moving up to the net is something which pays dividends, keeping points short and avoiding endless pushing rallies.  Calling for the trainer was a bit of a concern but as Andy's movement was in no way impaired, I'm optimistic that it's nothing his physio can't sort out before his next match.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray surges into quarters « Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 06:25 AM »

Great report, thank you  clap
Andy  Super
Tsonga  Rolling Eyes If anyone looks as if he's lost "motivation" it's him!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray surges into quarters « Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 06:57 AM »

Thanks for the report Luke esp as couldn't watch the match.  I like that phrase 'serving very well' as that was my one remaining concern.  But can't help but worry about the trainer and painkillers for the back  and according to bbc he shouted 'it's been 3 years to his box'.  However heard a clip from andy on radio and he didn't sound too concerned and it sounds like he played amazing well after that.  Also sounds like he was playing good aggressive tennis yet I also heard him say he only had a handful of ues in the whole match.  I'm recording the highlights so hope to see the best of it once I'm  home, which unfortunately won't be until after the QF (though just possible it will still be going when I do get home esp if more rain)
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray surges into quarters « Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 08:58 AM »

Great report Luke, I really enjoyed the match, it was great seeing Andy move and playing with purpose and poise.
If Andy had lost this report would have comments going to at least 5 pages and yet when he plays only 1? Come on guys where are you?
Re the pain in his hip, I really don't think we need to be concerned, as he plays more of these kind of matches he will be putting more strain on muscles etc that he hasn't been using in the same way, also once you are recovering form surgery you do get aches and pains. It didn't stop his movement.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray surges into quarters « Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 09:14 AM »

A great report TMH, thanks.

It was a fantastic performance from Andy yesterday, really great. I was literally jumping up and down in my chair in the latter stages. Andy looked so good.

I would worry about Andy's back if it had appeared to impair his game, but it really didn't seem to. I don't think it had any bearing on his serve, for example, which I have often thought was a bit of a barometer for how the back might be.

There was some lovely shot-making from Andy, and some lovely, imaginative play. He really took the match to Tsonga from the off.

I actually think Andy was just about the worst opponent Jo could have faced just now. Jo admits he doesn't like playing Andy at the best of times. Andy just seems so good at confusing opponents, making them question what they are doing, what they need to do, because he has so many ways to win. Jo looked really quite clueless in the second. The lack of confidence that has been evident for a while with Jo, was written all over his face, but all over his game as well.

I really don't envy Jo. Unless something changes dramatically I think this year is going to be tough for him.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray surges into quarters « Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 10:00 AM »

Nice report......Much appreciated TMH!
IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Re: Murray surges into quarters « Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 12:41 PM »

Great to be back after computer probs and work committments Thanks for the report Luke it sure helps to  catch up
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray surges into quarters « Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 12:45 PM »

Was hoping to see the match via my sons recording but our computer does not want to know.  Is there something up on Youtube?
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Murray surges into quarters « Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 05:19 PM »

Thanks, Luke. Excellent report as ever. Had certain minor concerns for Andy during the match, in addition to his holding his back. But these quickly passed.
[ Last edit by OldScotSupport March 26, 2014, 05:33 PM ] IP Logged
eeyorebob
Challenger Level

"I am a champion, and you're gonna hear me roar"

Re: Murray surges into quarters « Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 06:08 PM »

Sorry went to bed after the match! great report, sounds like Andy played well (twitter again )
IP Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »