Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray takes scenic route to victory 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray takes scenic route to victory

(Read 1253 times)
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Murray takes scenic route to victory « on: March 10, 2013, 10:51 PM »

Surrounded by the stunning mountains of Central California, Andy Murray took the scenic route to victory this afternoon against 83rd ranked Evgeny Donskoy. The rusty-looking Scot advanced to the third round of the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells, beating the Russian number five 5-7 6-2 6-2.

Although the encounter was a ragged one from Murray’s point of view, the final two sets will be what he would have expected from a match-up against a mid-ranked big-hitter. The world number three would doubtless take the 5-7 first-set reverse as a trade-off for his seven-week respite from competitive action.

The afternoon was off to a bad start for Murray in the broiling Californian sun, as he slipped to a 1-5 first-set deficit, shanking groundshots wildly into the tramlines and generally looking like a man desperately searching for some kind of form.

When he pulled back to 5-5, the Scot seemed to have found it. But Donskoy, looking like the love child of Jimmy Connors and Tim from The Office, was a man possessed throughout the opening set.

Read more (236 words)
With his careless-match-in-a-box-of-fireworks game, the Russian smoked some outrageous winners, not least a magnificent, towering lob at 6-5. Donskoy followed that up with a nuclear forehand down the line to bring up three set points, converting on the third with a thundering backhand pass that left Murray floundering at the net.

From there, though, it was one-way traffic. The Scot, who can overtake Federer as world number two in this event, began to impose his bigger, more-rigid matchplay on the Russian. Donskoy’s game began to look wild and ragged and Murray surged to a 5-2 lead, sealing the second set with a colossal forehand into the corner.

It was more of the same in set three. The British number one kept Donskoy off balance with a barrage of searing groundshots and exquisite dropshots. Murray raced to a 5-2 lead and concluded an entertaining match with a huge serve that the Russian bunted long.

The victory should help erase some nasty memories for Murray, who has tasted first-match defeats here both last year against Garcia-Lopez and in 2011, when Donald Young took advantage of the Scot’s post-Australian Open-final malaise.

A relieved Murray said afterwards, "I've been playing sets in practice, but nothing beats getting on a match court. I was definitely nervous, but I just need to get a few matches under my belt.”

Next up is Taipei’s Yen-Hsun Lu, a 7-6 7-6 winner over Martin Klizan.
[ Last edit by Grabcopy March 10, 2013, 11:24 PM ] IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Murray takes scenic route to victory « Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 10:52 PM »

Any mention of the celebrity yelping lines person?
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murray takes scenic route to victory « Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 10:56 PM »

Well he got there in the end-and what would being an Andy Murray follower be without a little first set drama?! Smile
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Murray takes scenic route to victory « Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 10:58 PM »

Woeful.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray takes scenic route to victory « Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 10:59 PM »

Just glad to finally get that monkey off his back. Solid performance after that start. Won 16 of the last 22 games.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Murray takes scenic route to victory « Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 10:59 PM »

Woeful.

It was a good match. Both played well.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Murray takes scenic route to victory « Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 11:06 PM »

Overall it went pretty much as I expected - slow start, steady pressure, snuff. Didn't expect Andy to drop a set though.
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Murray takes scenic route to victory « Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 11:07 PM »

Well done Andy,you got there in the end .Better next time.
IP Logged
lgriev10
Satellite Level

Re: Murray takes scenic route to victory « Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 11:07 PM »

Excellent match from when I started watching at 3-5 in the first set. Donskoy was impressive, some of the rallies were superb and brought out the best in Andy. Lovely to see him using the back hand up the line, whenever Donskoy even thought about running round his backhand.  I've missed the big man, but I don't mind, cause it's all the sweeter when he comes back!
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Murray takes scenic route to victory « Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 11:16 PM »

All that fresh desert air has done something to his head!

Plenty good stuff in this match to make your puns and analogies Nigel.
IP Logged
Moozza

Re: Murray takes scenic route to victory « Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 11:20 PM »

Overall I'd say decent enough performance after 6 weeks off. Andy was ridiculously bad first 6 games but from them on began to play better and better. A couple of freak games at 5 all allowed Donskoy to take the first set but from then on it was one way traffic. I'm confident we'll see Andy in the semi's.

IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Murray takes scenic route to victory « Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 11:29 PM »

Just another day at the office and after 6 weeks its just nice to see him at work again.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Murray takes scenic route to victory « Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 12:33 AM »

Looking at that first set, I began to wonder exactly who was the world number 3. Certainly it wasn't Andy the way he was playing.

The match really for me lacked too much excitement, therefore, I kept switching from time to time to watching golf.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray takes scenic route to victory « Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 02:19 AM »

A win is a win, no matter how 'ugly' it was to get there. cmonandy Hopefully I will have some coverage next match, though probably at work again Rolling Eyes

At would you adam and eve it, looks like word's spread about that scenic route to Novak Whistle
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray takes scenic route to victory « Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 02:31 AM »

Thanks, Nigel. I also felt like he was playing ol' JC at times.

I'm currently in the process of re-watching it on my (non-live) TV coverage.

Always interesting to watch Andy when not emotionally invested.

Donskoy was hot... then not. Definitely has the skills tho' and I give him credit for taking it to World Number 3.

Andy was on simmer, and didn't boil over.

Next..
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »