Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray Thais Simon in knots 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray Thais Simon in knots

(Read 1472 times)
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Murray Thais Simon in knots « on: October 01, 2011, 12:38 PM »

Andy Murray Advanced to the finals of the PTT Thailand Open with an entertaining 6-2, 3-6, 6-2 victory over Gilles Simon.

The Frenchman, ranked number 12 in the world, has a counter punching game style which matches up nicely with Murray's. This goes a long way to explaining why, in eight previous meetings, Simon has only emerged victorious once.

Murray raced through the first set in a little under half an hour, manoeuvring Simon around the court like a puppet on a string. The Frenchman was unable to outlast Murray in ground stroke rallies and, when trying to force the pace, inevitably misfired.

These days Murray matches against quality opposition are rarely straightforward affairs and today was no exception. A momentary lapse in concentration at the start of the second set saw Simon race into a 3-0 lead. Murray retrieved the break in the fifth game, but immediately capitulated.   The Scot was now the loser in the longer rallies, and Simon sealed the set with a comfortable service game.

Murray has played with intent all week - something he rarely does at ATP 250 events these days - and he continued to do so in the third set. The errors were cut out, the aggression nicely measured, and Simon again floundered.

Murray will meet Donald Young in the final tomorrow, due to be played at 7am BST. This is the Americans first ATP final. Murray? This is his 27th.
[ Last edit by Mark October 01, 2011, 01:29 PM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray Thais Simon in knots. « Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 12:45 PM »

See, you can put a positive spin on things Very Happy

Great result for Andy and best of luck in the final! cmon yeah
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Murray Thais Simon in knots. « Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 12:51 PM »

Nice to hear a positive report from you Boogers; well done Andy, well mplayed apart from the hiccup in the 2nd set.  Good luck for tomorrow, keep the positive vibes going yay yay yay
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray Thais Simon in knots. « Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 12:57 PM »

Nicely balanced report Phil.  Let's hope Andy wins tomorrow without the all too familiar 2nd set lapse!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray Thais Simon in knots. « Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 01:00 PM »

The result never seemed to be in doubt - perhaps Andy's 2nd set lapses are just a ruse to get more match practice!!!
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray Thais Simon in knots. « Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 01:02 PM »

Good report, nice to see a positive Boogers. I'm sure Andy will put his best foot forward tomorrow and win the Trophy.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray Thais Simon in knots. « Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 01:03 PM »

Andy is saying on his FB page that play in the final starts at 3 pm local time confused
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Murray Thais Simon in knots. « Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 01:11 PM »

AM's website said today's match was second on after 1 p.m. so I thought I'd be watching an evening match this afternoon, but now realise I missed it this morning.  What a drag.  So, I assume the final will be around/not before 9 a.m. UK time ?????????
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray Thais Simon in knots. « Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 01:26 PM »

AM's website said today's match was second on after 1 p.m. so I thought I'd be watching an evening match this afternoon, but now realise I missed it this morning.  What a drag.  So, I assume the final will be around/not before 9 a.m. UK time ?????????

Some commentator at the semi, said 1 pm local time start (7 am UK (BST) ) start but Andy's says 3 pm start, so I'm confused
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray Thais Simon in knots. « Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 01:30 PM »

Right, found out more information from official website, though schedule not up.

1 pm local time start for doubles final, followed by singles final, not before 3 pm local time, so 9am UK (BST) and 9 pm NZ, so that will mean 6.30 pm for Adelaide!

IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray Thais Simon in knots « Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 01:32 PM »

So, I assume the final will be around/not before 9 a.m. UK time ?????????

You are correct.
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Murray Thais Simon in knots « Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 02:35 PM »

yay  Congrats in order!   Well done, Andy!! 
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray Thais Simon in knots « Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 03:34 PM »

Getting a bit mixed up here, is Andy on 7am UK time or not, then wont need to get up at a ridiculous time for a Sunday.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Murray Thais Simon in knots « Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 03:36 PM »

Same as me FCR. Just goes to show you cant check up enough!
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Murray Thais Simon in knots « Reply #14 on: October 01, 2011, 03:44 PM »

We fans in the northern hemisphere wont be able to relax and enjoy Sunday morning breakfast. With Andys final we'll all be strung out, he'll probably not make it easy for us even though it is only Donald Young. DY has some talent and he's managed to get to the final. Young Donald will be wanting to redeem himself after the USO.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »