Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray the Goliath defeats David 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 12 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray the Goliath defeats David

(Read 6140 times)
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Murray the Goliath defeats David « on: October 16, 2011, 12:23 PM »

In the Bible, tiny David beat the Philistine giant Goliath with just one slingshot. In the Shanghai Masters final today, Andy Murray had to soak up dozens of attacks from the 5 foot 9 inch David Ferrer, but prevailed 7-5 6-4 for his third straight title.

In the highest echelons of tennis, we're told, the difference between being great and merely incredibly good can be just a couple of points. And, in this entertaining encounter, we saw both of them at the sharp end of the first set.

Having swapped a couple of breaks early on, the Scot and the Spaniard pounded their way to 5-5. Murray had wheeled out his new beefed up serve that at one point registered 137mph, and Ferrer had retrieved like a panting dog in the park, tongue out, not knowing when he's done.

Rallies had been fierce, exploring the outer limits of the court's geography, and the retrieving, at times, improbable. Then came the tipping point of the match. With Ferrer serving at 5-5, 30-30, the Spaniard dumped a routine backhand into the net and followed up with a double fault.

Read more (261 words)
The object lesson in comparative mental strength perfectly demonstrated, Murray completed the crowd's education by duly serving out the set. Although the Scot's second serve had looked relatively shaky, he'd landed 69% of his first deliveries and won 86% of the points behind it.

But Ferrer is a terrier, and losing the first set just means more exercise, and dogs love that. Three times this week, the world number five had won his matches from a set down, against Ferrero, Roddick and Lopez.

The second set opened with three consecutive breaks, before Murray imposed his first delivery to better effect to wrest control of the contest at 3-1. Although he spurned break points at 1-3 and 2-4, the Scot was luring Ferrer out of his comfort zone and into the net.

Like a dog that's no longer a puppy, but is still keen to learn new tricks, Ferrer willingly drove himself forwards, even when the net result was a botched smash at a crucial moment.

With Murray serving for the match at 5-4, and with the prominent FedEx hoardings reminding everyone what was at stake – Federer's world number three spot – the Scot threw in a rickety game until his new best friend, the 130-mph serve, came to his aid and effectively sealed the match.

As Murray paraded his eighth Masters trophy around the Qizhong Arena, the face of the new world number three displayed a familiar look. We'd seen it across the features of Novak Djokovic after his Davis Cup triumph last season. And we all know what happened after that.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Murray the Goliath defeats David « Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 12:37 PM »

Thanks Nigel.
You were quick today!

You do justice to Andy and give  fair descripting of  match.  Liked the comparisons too!

Now we got the headline we wanted!  No. 3.
Thanks Andy    cmon yeah yay
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murray the Goliath defeats David « Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 12:38 PM »

Didn't see the match but yay Great result! And such a brilliant run from Andy just now!!! yay
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray the Goliath defeats David « Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 12:44 PM »

Fantastic run Andy - here's to a great end of season and an even better 2012!  Your fans are with you all the way!!     yay yay
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray the Goliath defeats David « Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 01:24 PM »

Good report Nigel and love the title.
There was a point during the match when Peter Fleming said something like 'that's just ridiculous' when Andy won a point, which had looked totally lost.  The view of the comms seems to be that Andy is playing the best tennis of his career.  And no way the Chinese could accuse him of not smiling this time after that wondeful smile of joy on his face at the end.  Hope they catch that in the papers tomorrow.  And hope you're right with reference to the Nole comparison.
Of course, Andy's goal, rightly, is to finish the year at #3 so he can't let up even though Fed has far more points to defend.  But SO PROUD of what you've achieved these last 3 weeks Andy.
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Murray the Goliath defeats David « Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 01:26 PM »

Great win. Never in doubt who the better player was from that first magnificent service break.
 yay yay yay yay
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Murray the Goliath defeats David « Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 01:28 PM »

Good reportage, Nigel, as ever! Like your canine comparisons of Ferrer's fetch and carry.

I also believe that Andy is starting to emulate Djokovic, in that a successful end 2011 preludes a fantastic 2012. Djokovic 2010 - 2011.

Will 2012 give Andy the first (of many) Grand Slam title? Let's hope so, as I believe it will.

Great win, Andy. Now for Valencia (or Basle). If neither then Paris and O2.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Murray the Goliath defeats David « Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 01:32 PM »

For those who missed the match its on sky again at 6.30pm I too am so pleased and so so PROUD OF ANDY. He has had a hard few weeks but he has shown strength an determination in his tennis. All we can wish for him is that he continues to play so well in the next few months and into 2012. You did us proud Andy best wishes to you from all your fans.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray the Goliath defeats David « Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 01:44 PM »

Oh you've outdone yourself Nigel.........'B****y brilliant report! w00t
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray the Goliath defeats David « Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 01:57 PM »

Really enjoyed the report. Thought Andy did so well against a very good opponent. Andy determination written all over his face....you are not going to beat me. This aura wins quite a few points against whoever Andy plays against. This is what happened with Nole when he was on his winning streak. Good to see Andy keeping up his 2 Masters won a year. Be good if he can do that at Paris, seems to be his goal as he said he's never won there and would like to. yay yay trophy trophy trophy trophy jumping-w00t
[ Last edit by michelle October 16, 2011, 02:29 PM ] IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Murray the Goliath defeats David « Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 02:12 PM »

trophy  Wonderful, Wondful, so happy for Andy!!!!!!!!  Bravo!!!   yay
IP Logged
LC the fan
Junior

Re: Murray the Goliath defeats David « Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 02:13 PM »

Fantastic achievement Andy ..  onwards and upwards from here

SO PROUD OF YOU.....SO PROUD FOR YOU
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Murray the Goliath defeats David « Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 02:25 PM »

Well done Andy you are the champion. yay
IP Logged
Tonedial
Challenger Level

WORTH THE WAIT

Re: Murray the Goliath defeats David « Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 02:29 PM »

Well done Andy  cmon yeah

* AM2011(2).png (243.03 KB, 855x458 - viewed 193 times.)
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Murray the Goliath defeats David « Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 02:40 PM »

Loved the pic. Tonedial!

Fantastic. yay
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 12 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »