Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray loses game of Shanghai survival 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray loses game of Shanghai survival

(Read 4102 times)
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Murray the loser in game of Shanghai survival « Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 01:54 PM »

After a 2 set win I planned to do so much in the garden on this sunny Sunday, now I can't be bothered.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray the loser in game of Shanghai survival « Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 02:03 PM »

Great report again Nigel.  But can our collective blood pressure stand the prospect of an Andy-Nole rivalry defining tennis for next few years?   So exciting to think of what lies ahead. 
Even though he ran out of gas, and couldn't take those championship points in 2nd set, he looked to me like a man playing with a new air of authority.  This is just a minor blip after the triumphs of London 2012 and NY.
IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: Murray the loser in game of Shanghai survival « Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 02:05 PM »

Good match report Nigel very fair and balanced. Pretty much what I saw myself as I watched. Like others I too think there are many positives to take away from recent weeks. As for the troll comment on the first page I would usually say better ignoring them than replying and encouraging them back - but I liked the comparision you made Masaka!  Whistle
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Murray the loser in game of Shanghai survival « Reply #18 on: October 14, 2012, 02:08 PM »

But this encounter ultimately defined not only the distance between the two friends – one single trick shot – but surely also the changing shape of men’s tennis.
This is very poignant, consider that if Djoker missed that crazy tweener he would have probably lost the match. That's how close these things are and Andy was so close to winning it practically was a win.
IP Logged
Johnny Handsome
Futures Level

Re: Murray the loser in game of Shanghai survival « Reply #19 on: October 14, 2012, 02:12 PM »

I think this might turn out to be a healthy defeat
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Murray the loser in game of Shanghai survival « Reply #20 on: October 14, 2012, 02:12 PM »

Edge of your seat stuff for me, watching two worthy opponents going toe-to-toe. Nole is like the punchbag who always gets back up no matter how blows he's given. Some jaw-dropping shots from both players, and up until the tb it was anyone's match..then Andy's legs left the building in the 3rd.

No worries..the reigning USO champ will be back to play many more matches with the Djoker as they claim their era of rivalry.
Well said, scotnadian - common sense attitude - well done Andy - he and Novak are the two to watch now I feel.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray the loser in game of Shanghai survival « Reply #21 on: October 14, 2012, 02:13 PM »

This is very poignant, consider that if Djoker missed that crazy tweener he would have probably lost the match. That's how close these things are and Andy was so close to winning it practically was a win.
Novak himself said it was incredibly close and could have gone either way.
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Murray the loser in game of Shanghai survival « Reply #22 on: October 14, 2012, 02:17 PM »

I think this might turn out to be a healthy defeat

Yep. Much like when he lost to Rafa in WTF, Nole in AO SF and Roger at Wimby. He will come back stronger.
IP Logged
alisonfiner

Re: Murray the loser in game of Shanghai survival « Reply #23 on: October 14, 2012, 02:35 PM »

I totally agree with all that's been said here.  As Andy said in his post match interview the result came down to a few centimetres and one between the legs shot from Nole.  Still looking forward to my week away in London for the WTF, I feel Andy's going to win it for the first time.  Oh, and I meant to say, looking forward to many matches like this between the two of them, in the years to come.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray the loser in game of Shanghai survival « Reply #24 on: October 14, 2012, 02:41 PM »

These two guys are, without doubt, the best in the world at the moment.  Nole easily swatted Berdych aside, as did Andy with Fed and yet it was pistols at dawn out there between them.  I'm convinced that if Andy had been fit he would have won but congratulations to both of them on a fantastic match.  Exciting times ahead!!!
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Murray the loser in game of Shanghai survival « Reply #25 on: October 14, 2012, 02:55 PM »

Ah fecking I just watched that hot-dog shot again - Andy really should have come to net as soon as he lobbed him. Would have easily been able to put it away for a winning if he was at net and won the match.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray the loser in game of Shanghai survival « Reply #26 on: October 14, 2012, 02:58 PM »

^^ Should have, could have, but didn't.  I reckon Andy, like everyone else, including my seasoned ESPN comms, thought the shot was unreturnable.

Many matches have been turned around on incredible shots won, or easy shots missed - that's the way the cookie crumbles in tennis.  Djoko was a new man after that point.  Just a shame that Andy had been suffering from a virus that finally took its toll in the 3rd set, probably not helped by the fact that he had such a late match on Saturday so therefore less time to recover - but, then, he showed SmugFed who was boss, so let's not forgot that!

Given all the circumstances I think Andy did incredibly well in this tournament, and even here with legs that could barely hold him up he fought to the bitter end.  He vowed in his speech to keep on fighting for the rest of the season, and I've no reason to believe he won't, although it wouldn't surprise me if he skipped Basel since he really does need to be 100% fit for Paris and the WTF, and he has no ranking points to lose by not playing there.

Also Andy may not have won a Masters this year so far, but Olympic gold and a maiden Slam more than compensate for that, in my book anyway.

Personally I'm looking forward to next year and more great Andy/Nole matches, provided my nerves can handle them!
[ Last edit by Aileen October 14, 2012, 03:01 PM ] IP Logged
Coldmarek
Top Seed

Andy Murray is better than you.

Re: Murray the loser in game of Shanghai survival « Reply #27 on: October 14, 2012, 02:59 PM »

How frustrating this Murray guy is?  Unbelievable CHOKE!  Five match points and no killer instinct!  I don't like DJOKER but what guts!!!!!
That's the difference between Murray and the real top 3!!!!  Guts in the Clutch baby....!  Murray had it in two sets and let it slip away big time!
Bring out the cry baby towel now people!  Djoker is now certain to reach year end #1 from washed up Smugfest!!!

Murray is top three in case youve missed it.
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Murray the loser in game of Shanghai survival « Reply #28 on: October 14, 2012, 03:22 PM »

Ah well, that was exciting.  Congratulations Andy for 2nd place. I’m thinking the cold medicine was wearing off in the 2nd set as during it there was a little less concentration. The first set was so fabulous and must have taken extreme concentration in combination with a kind of abandonment.  There were, nevertheless, great shots throughout, beautiful to watch, unbeatable & what hard work has gone into the development of his game. Magnificent!

(Looking at the quote in post above, absolute rubbish!)
[ Last edit by adb..OH October 14, 2012, 04:00 PM ] IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Murray the loser in game of Shanghai survival « Reply #29 on: October 14, 2012, 03:25 PM »

Brilliant match report and a great account of a thrilling match, watching the best two players in the world is a privilege pure and simple.  Andy has taken his seat at the top table and is playing the most aggressive and exciting tennis I have ever seen him play but with high percentage aggression there sometimes comes a higher level of unforced errors but I know which type of tennis I prefer to see Andy play.  Andy and Djoko are supreme tennis players and proved that today, this is a rivalry that will hopefully be around for the foreseeable future.

Onwards and upwards is what I say, whilst dissapointed at the result I still have that warm" Readybrek" glow from Andy taking RF apart yesterday!!!

What an exciting end of year we have in prospect, RF with loads of points to defend, the Rafa will he or won't he pay again, Andy with relatively no points to defend and the opportunity to gain and Djoko wanting his No 1 spot back, bring it on......
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »