Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray loses game of Shanghai survival 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray loses game of Shanghai survival

(Read 4314 times)
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Murray the loser in game of Shanghai survival « Reply #60 on: October 14, 2012, 10:08 PM »

Firstly, great report, Nigel.

Secondly, most people on this have already stated my intended comments. However, to emphasise, I believe that if Andy had not had this virus he might well have won. In particular leading 5-4 + 30-00 on his own serve in the second set from which he would normally have succeded.

Can't wait for 2013 and the intense and close rivalry between Andy and Novak. It will happen!
IP Logged
circe
Satellite Level

Re: Murray the loser in game of Shanghai survival « Reply #61 on: October 14, 2012, 10:36 PM »

pray
Not a very good crowd to be honest when they put their love for a certain tennis player first than tennis itself. And then becomes vindictive. It makes things difficult not only for the players but also for the viewers.

I don't know when Federer will retire but despite that crowd support, I don't think Federer will come back to Shanghai again.
Pretty sure I read a stat that said that Murray has beaten Fed in every single one of their meetings in Shanghai.  So no, I don't think Fed'll be back Very Happy

Just back from a TV-less weekend and I see I've missed a couple of crackers.  But I got some Day 3 and 4 Bercy tickets on a whim  to go across the channel by meself so I hope Andy shows up  pray nervous  Anyone else here a possible?

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray the loser in game of Shanghai survival « Reply #62 on: October 14, 2012, 11:32 PM »

Firstly, great report, Nigel.

Secondly, most people on this have already stated my intended comments. However, to emphasise, I believe that if Andy had not had this virus he might well have won. In particular leading 5-4 + 30-00 on his own serve in the second set from which he would normally have succeded.
I'm not so sure it was the virus which caused Andy to lose the second set, especially given that even when he's fully fit his first serve can be misfiring, but there's no doubt that it was making its presence, or at least its after-effects, felt by the middle of the third when his body simply decided that enough was enough - although to his great credit he did try to keep fighting right to the end.

IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray the loser in game of Shanghai survival « Reply #63 on: October 15, 2012, 07:21 AM »

Great report Nigel, very very fair and it echoed what many of us felt that this is the beginning of a new era. Thought they both played very well, and I felt that it showed how well Andy is playing and I too think the virus sapped his strength. I don't think he will dwell on this loss as he said in his interview he wouldn't. He'll go home get some rest and be ready to fight the next battle, if he goes to Basel which I think he will then he will go with a lot of confidence.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray the loser in game of Shanghai survival « Reply #64 on: October 15, 2012, 07:36 AM »

If it was the state of his health which caused this defeat he will know and not take it to heart as the h2h for this year is 3-3 and Andy has the two best wins, Olympics and USO.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Murray the loser in game of Shanghai survival « Reply #65 on: October 15, 2012, 12:34 PM »

Have to confess to thinking Andy had it in the bag yesterday - that'll teach me!  I went out after Nole won the second as I had a feeling he would go on to win the match and I didn't want to watch (bit wimpish, but I'd have dwelt on it all day Frown.  However, Nole is the World No. 1 and rational thinking has to tell me that he is in that position for a reason, much of which was evident in this match. I got to thinking that this battle may just give him the psychological advantage the next time he and Andy play each other, but I don't doubt Andy's dander will be up and he'll be out to redress the balance.  The next match between these two will be mouthwatering to say the least!  cmon yeah
IP Logged
WishIWasKim

Re: Murray the loser in game of Shanghai survival « Reply #66 on: October 15, 2012, 12:50 PM »

Sorry - slightly off topic but is anyone else having problems with Andy's official website?  For weeks now when I try to go into any of the news items the screen just goes blank except for a background picture - annoying....

Well done to Andy and Nole - brilliant tennis as always, looking forward to the battles in 2013. (even more glad he kicked the Swiss Princess's a*se - couple of drops of rain ffs!)
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray the loser in game of Shanghai survival « Reply #67 on: October 15, 2012, 01:06 PM »

Have to confess to thinking Andy had it in the bag yesterday - that'll teach me! 
It was my fault. I stated gangnam dancing at the beginning of the 2nd. 
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray the loser in game of Shanghai survival « Reply #68 on: October 15, 2012, 01:15 PM »

It was my fault. I stated gangnam dancing at the beginning of the 2nd. 
Ya *****!  Very Happy
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray the loser in game of Shanghai survival « Reply #69 on: October 15, 2012, 01:36 PM »

I am having the same problem with the website.

I have just watched the final set and it seemed to me that it was down to who ran out of juice first.  I feel that if Andy had not had a virus he would have more than Nole left in the tank as I do think he is the fitter.  Neither of them gave up mentally which bodes so well for future matches between them.  I cannot wait. I can only watch at my son's after the match.

Perhaps Andy will play Basel if he is better and make up the lost points but it would be understandable if he backed off.  I do not think anything Federer would say bothers him.  I would much rather he played Paris and WTF feeling fit.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Murray the loser in game of Shanghai survival « Reply #70 on: October 15, 2012, 01:36 PM »

Nigel.. forgot to say how great the report was, thanks!
My fave bits:
The second set defined the mental battle between the two friends just as surely as if they’d been playing chess with a gun against their temples. As with much of their careers, Djokovic was building bricks and mortar, but Murray was doing a nice line in interior décor, too.

For much of the match, the pair had been like two men sharing the same parachute. But this encounter ultimately defined not only the distance between the two friends – one single trick shot – but surely also the changing shape of men’s tennis.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Murray the loser in game of Shanghai survival « Reply #71 on: October 15, 2012, 01:40 PM »

What Andy says on his blog:

"Yeah, I played pretty well for the most part (in Asia). You know, the match against Stepanek wasn’t particularly good, but I played fairly well in Tokyo. It could have been a different story. I could have come away with two wins.”

“But, last year I came away from Asia with three wins. I didn’t win a Grand Slam and the Olympics. Kind of a big year. It didn’t go necessarily as I would have liked.

This year I would have signed up for the way I played here and having won the US Open.”

Absolutely, Andy  clap
IP Logged
WishIWasKim

Re: Murray the loser in game of Shanghai survival « Reply #72 on: October 15, 2012, 01:45 PM »

I am having the same problem with the website.

I have just watched the final set and it seemed to me that it was down to who ran out of juice first.  I feel that if Andy had not had a virus he would have more than Nole left in the tank as I do think he is the fitter.  Neither of them gave up mentally which bodes so well for future matches between them.  I cannot wait. I can only watch at my son's after the match.

Perhaps Andy will play Basel if he is better and make up the lost points but it would be understandable if he backed off.  I do not think anything Federer would say bothers him.  I would much rather he played Paris and WTF feeling fit.

Thanks Tamila
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray the loser in game of Shanghai survival « Reply #73 on: October 15, 2012, 01:48 PM »

What Andy says on his blog:

"Yeah, I played pretty well for the most part (in Asia). You know, the match against Stepanek wasn’t particularly good, but I played fairly well in Tokyo. It could have been a different story. I could have come away with two wins.”

“But, last year I came away from Asia with three wins. I didn’t win a Grand Slam and the Olympics. Kind of a big year. It didn’t go necessarily as I would have liked.

This year I would have signed up for the way I played here and having won the US Open.”

Absolutely, Andy  clap
Love it!  I do think he needs a little time off to take it all in.  It was so great to see him back in Dunblane in his trackie bottoms and hoodie - just so down to earth and sharing his achievements with everyone.  He's a rare breed and a thoroughly good guy who deserves it all. 
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray the loser in game of Shanghai survival « Reply #74 on: October 15, 2012, 02:45 PM »

Brilliant report Nigel......as always!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »