Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray third in BBC Sports Personality award 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray third in BBC Sports Personality award

(Read 2759 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray third in BBC Sports Personality award « Reply #30 on: December 19, 2012, 01:50 PM »

It says a fair bit about the standard or class of MW members that no one moans or even questions the fact that reaching a Wimbledon Final, opening up to the nation, winning an Olympic Silver in doubles, winning an Olympic GOLD beating the top two players in the world and the small job of winning a maiden slam at the US is worthy of third. You are all too nice!!! Personally i would be apoplectic if I hadn't seen the whole Wiggo shite brewing months ago. SP2012 "mY aRSE!
Oh I (and expect most others) thought Murray was most worthy of winning it, but taking into account that it's effectively a popularity contest AND it's an Olympic year (our most successful one in a century, in our home games) I'm happy enough that he got top 3. It bodes well for the future. To beat Farah, who had inarguably the British highlight of the games and is very popular, is quite impressive given the level of dislike many previously held for Murray.

The country is coming round to him and should he ever win Wimbledon I think he'll have SPOTY in the bag.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray third in BBC Sports Personality award « Reply #31 on: December 19, 2012, 07:37 PM »

Another interesting perspective on Andy's growing popularity is perhaps that someone has bid £500 for a signed tennis shirt in the Independent charity auction.  I went on line as I was curious to see how the bidding was going.  It closes tomorrow so I wonder how I much it will go for.  I'd been tempted to bid just to get it higher when I read yesterday that the highest bid was only £120 (£100 is the reserve price) but no need to now and don't want to risk winning at that price!  w00t
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Murray third in BBC Sports Personality award « Reply #32 on: December 19, 2012, 09:54 PM »

Another interesting perspective on Andy's growing popularity is perhaps that someone has bid £500 for a signed tennis shirt in the Independent charity auction.  I went on line as I was curious to see how the bidding was going.  It closes tomorrow so I wonder how I much it will go for.  I'd been tempted to bid just to get it higher when I read yesterday that the highest bid was only £120 (£100 is the reserve price) but no need to now and don't want to risk winning at that price!  w00t
Has it been worn by Andy and therefore all sweaty? Come on Ruthie, be a sport and show us you're the REAL DEAL Andy fan, bid £750... it must be worth every penny!
 lol
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Murray third in BBC Sports Personality award « Reply #33 on: December 19, 2012, 10:01 PM »

I will be amazed if Andy doesn't get a knighthood after he's retired for all he's achieved, his dedications and his.. legacy almost for British tennis.

But that is definitely for after his career. An OBE wouldn't go amiss though..
If Sean Connery and Alex Ferguson can be knighted then Im sure Andy will be in time. Might be considered a bit young as yet and he has many tennis years in front of him.

Personally I'd like him to get it later in his career, when it will be more deserving for his contribution to tennis and sport. Should he get it now people would say he hasnt earned it (unfortunately)
A Wimbeldon Champion would clinch it for him!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray third in BBC Sports Personality award « Reply #34 on: December 20, 2012, 12:51 PM »

Has it been worn by Andy and therefore all sweaty? Come on Ruthie, be a sport and show us you're the REAL DEAL Andy fan, bid £750... it must be worth every penny!
 lol
No I think it's a virgin clean one.   Sorry Lashurst much as I love Andy .......Bidding has now closed anyway.  Not sure what it went for but will let you know
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray third in BBC Sports Personality award « Reply #35 on: December 20, 2012, 01:01 PM »

If Sean Connery and Alex Ferguson can be knighted then Im sure Andy will be in time. Might be considered a bit young as yet and he has many tennis years in front of him.

Personally I'd like him to get it later in his career, when it will be more deserving for his contribution to tennis and sport. Should he get it now people would say he hasnt earned it (unfortunately)
A Wimbeldon Champion would clinch it for him!
I think Knighthoods are ridiculous anyway if the recipient is still competing, even although they aren't under any obligation to use Sir before their name.

However David Cameron announced in early September that there would be a separate Honours List for Olympians and Paralympians - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19516395 - but so far I haven't seen any confirmation of this.

No I think it's a virgin clean one.   Sorry Lashurst much as I love Andy .......Bidding has now closed anyway.  Not sure what it went for but will let you know
One of the shirts Andy wore during the USO final auctioned the other day for £8,500, but that was only £500 above its highest valuation price, so it'll be interesting to see what this one fetches.
[ Last edit by Aileen December 20, 2012, 01:12 PM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray third in BBC Sports Personality award « Reply #36 on: December 20, 2012, 07:27 PM »

just checked and it went for £600, which not bad given I'm pretty sure it's not one Andy has actually worn and £500 above reserve price.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray third in BBC Sports Personality award « Reply #37 on: December 20, 2012, 09:53 PM »

just checked and it went for £600, which not bad given I'm pretty sure it's not one Andy has actually worn and £500 above reserve price.
Hmm - not bad.  Mind you, I'd have been wanting the real thing, sweat and all!
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Murray third in BBC Sports Personality award « Reply #38 on: December 21, 2012, 12:09 AM »

Hmm - not bad.  Mind you, I'd have been wanting the real thing, sweat and all!

Bloody hell! You women are impossible! Sweat and all! I can not believe it!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray third in BBC Sports Personality award « Reply #39 on: December 21, 2012, 10:27 AM »

For goodness sake - I was only being tongue in cheek OSS!!
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Murray third in BBC Sports Personality award « Reply #40 on: December 21, 2012, 12:25 PM »

Another award for achievement - Andy's certainly getting all his ducks in a row now, or his media people are!!  Great picture btw, don't often get the full spread with Djoko looking thoughtful.

http://www.espn.co.uk/tennis/sport/story/184587.html
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray third in BBC Sports Personality award « Reply #41 on: December 21, 2012, 12:30 PM »

Another award for achievement - Andy's certainly getting all his ducks in a row now, or his media people are!!  Great picture btw, don't often get the full spread with Djoko looking thoughtful.

Thanks 5rings - A very good summary of Andy's year and I loved the last bit = 'confirmed his status as a sporting great'.
Couldn't work out if this meant Andy came top or bottom of their list as couldn't see the rest. 
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray third in BBC Sports Personality award « Reply #42 on: December 21, 2012, 12:39 PM »

Thanks, Fiverlings. I've taken the liberty of posting the pic that goes alongside the article because it deserves to be seen, and I'm not sure I've even seen that one before.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Murray third in BBC Sports Personality award « Reply #43 on: December 21, 2012, 01:11 PM »

Thanks, Fiverlings. I've taken the liberty of posting the pic that goes alongside the article because it deserves to be seen, and I'm not sure I've even seen that one before.

Thanks for doing that - I tried to do it but I'm not savvy enough!!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray third in BBC Sports Personality award « Reply #44 on: December 21, 2012, 02:15 PM »

Another award for achievement - Andy's certainly getting all his ducks in a row now, or his media people are!!  Great picture btw, don't often get the full spread with Djoko looking thoughtful.

Great article.  I liked the bit about his 1st GS win after 4 unsuccessful attempts - "..... it was not about luck. This was a triumph of hard work, dedication and sheer single-mindedness - the downright determination to achieve a life's dream."  So true, and how lovely to see that recognised.

I don't think I've seen that one before either.  Magnificent!   I love the way Djoko's looking at the trophy wistfully and maybe thinking "That should have been mine."

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »