Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray through after Nadal withdraws 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray through after Nadal withdraws

(Read 3324 times)
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Murray through after Nadal withdraws « on: March 30, 2012, 06:34 PM »

Andy Murray advanced to the final of the Miami Masters without hitting a ball after Rafael Nadal withdrew. The Spaniard, who suffers from chronic tendinitis, cited left knee pain.

Every time you play against one of the top guys in the world, it's always a good opportunity to see exactly where your game's at.

I have been working with Ivan now for a couple of months. We worked on a lot of things, certain tactics and stuff that would work against Rafa, Novak, and Roger. It would have been, for me, nice to see whether or not those things were working.

I have done a lot of practicing, a lot of hitting balls this week, but not a lot of match play. It's been quite a strange week. Hopefully the final, whoever it is, is going to be fit and well and we can have a good match.

I guess the one benefit here is that there is a day in between, so I'll have tomorrow to practice with righties. The last of couple days I have been hitting with lefties. I practiced for [30 to] 40 minutes with Paes and Stepanek just to get used to playing righties again.

Murray will meet Novak Djokovic or Juan Monaco in the final on Sunday.
[ Last edit by Mark March 30, 2012, 10:48 PM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray through after Nadal withdraws « Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 06:39 PM »

Well, Andy's hard draw certainly opened out  shocking
Was really looking forward to this and believing in an Andy win. Even less practise for a match with Nole.
What a bizarre tournament!
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Murray through after Nadal withdraws « Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 06:42 PM »

Too bad for us but best thing he could do for his knee's sake.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray through after Nadal withdraws « Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 06:50 PM »

I just came on the internet this minute to do the Euro Lottery, then thought would check here if there was anything new, and then I read that Rafa has withdrawn  w00t Disappointed was so looking forward to this match!! 
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Murray through after Nadal withdraws « Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 06:55 PM »

GUTTED was really looking forward to this match, had a good feeling that Andy would have done it.   I wonder if Rafa had anyone other than someone from the top four if he would have pulled out???  Had my evening's timetable all planned out, things are not that bad that I will feel compelled to watch the woman's doubles which has been put into fill up the void !!!
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray through after Nadal withdraws « Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 06:57 PM »

I just came on MW just to make sure the match was still on after Aileen had mentioned yesterday that Rafa hadn't practised and lo and behold, it's off!

A tad disappointed (got up early especially) but Rafa has to take care of himself, as would any player. 

I guess Andy will be hitting the practise courts with anyone he finds loitering around!
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray through after Nadal withdraws « Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 07:00 PM »

Rafa tweets: So sorry for my fans, those here at Miami and those around the world. My knee won't let me play today.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray through after Nadal withdraws « Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 07:06 PM »

Too bad for us but best thing he could do for his knee's sake.

I think his knee problems relate to an ongoing issue in his foot. When he was 19, doctors discovered a rare congenital bone problem in the bridge of his left foot. They told him to pack in tennis and he nearly took up pro golf. Then Nike made some specially adapted shoes. But I think that compensating for the foot injury has led to knee problems.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Murray through after Nadal withdraws « Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 07:06 PM »

Only a bit sad. Not up to  another Wed this soon. I have no stamina.  Suspect Nadal knows if Murray is less battered than he is, he hasn't got a chance. Shows they know they have to be 100% to beat him.  Will he get the points? He looked so wrecked after Wed. I am watching the Wed match. It's stressful even knowing the outcome...!!! I am then going to enjoy the one against Simon, which reminds me of watching my cat toy with a mouse. Hopefully he will also conserve energy for the final with I assume Djokovic.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Murray through after Nadal withdraws « Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 07:08 PM »

This tournament  has been all so weird for Andy that i wouldn't be at all surprised to see him facing Monaco in the final shocking
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray through after Nadal withdraws « Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 07:10 PM »

This tournament  has been all so weird for Andy that i wouldn't be at all surprised to see him facing Monaco in the final shocking

Nothing would surprise me this week!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray through after Nadal withdraws « Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 07:15 PM »

Very unladylike, but - SH*T!!.  Very glad I popped into an internet cafe to check this out, but I was getting a strong feeling Nadal had pulled out.  Was really looking forward to this match which I think Andy had a very good chance of winning, and so I'd like to have seen him get another testing match under his belt before Sunday's final, which will almost certainly be against Djokovic.

So Andy has had two w/os in the same tournament - anyone remember if this has ever happened to a player before?

IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray through after Nadal withdraws « Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 07:22 PM »

Very unladylike, but - SH*T!!.  Very glad I popped into an internet cafe to check this out, but I was getting a strong feeling Nadal had pulled out.  Was really looking forward to this match which I think Andy had a very good chance of winning, and so I'd like to have seen him get another testing match under his belt before Sunday's final, which will almost certainly be against Djokovic.

So Andy has had two w/os in the same tournament - anyone remember if this has ever happened to a player before?

Apparently Sam Stosur in Sydney got 2 walkovers and Amelie cam close in AO 06, some one retired in the 4th or qf, kim in the sf and justine in the final!  Not sure about mens tournies.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Murray through after Nadal withdraws « Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 07:26 PM »

The good news is that Andy is through to the final!

It could be good also if he had a bug or something (saw dr during tipsa match i guess). More rest.

It could also backfire in lack of match play.

Hard to say.

I would've loved to see where he stands versus Rafa right now though, so disappointed about that. A win versus Rafa before heading onto clay would've been nice.

Oh well, still in the final.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray through after Nadal withdraws « Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 07:27 PM »

Apparently Sam Stosur in Sydney got 2 walkovers and Amelie cam close in AO 06, some one retired in the 4th or qf, kim in the sf and justine in the final!  Not sure about mens tournies.
Thanks Bev.

Oh well, I suppose the one consolation is that Andy will be able to conserve energy now.  Every cloud, etc ...
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »