Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray through as Mayer withdraws 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Murray through as Mayer withdraws  (Read 1130 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Murray through as Mayer withdraws « on: October 10, 2012, 11:15 AM »

Andy Murray is into the third round of the Shanghai Rolex Masters after Florian Mayer pulled out, citing a rib injury.

Mayer is the second opponent in a week to withdraw against the Brit, who will now face the world number 20 Alexandr Dolgopolov on Thursday for a place in the quarter finals.

The US Open champion had time to gatecrash Novak Djokovic's interview on Grandstand for a quick joke, before getting down to the nitty-gritty of training. Murray will go into the third round encounter having not played since his narrow defeat to Milos Raonic on Saturday.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter October 10, 2012, 11:40 AM ] IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray through as Mayer withdraws « Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 11:30 AM »

Well, that was an easy match report, Luke. Smile
Brilliant cameo appearance by Andy during Nole's interview!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray through as Mayer withdraws « Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 11:45 AM »

Who is the joker now eh?  Apparently when Andy and Nole were practising together yesterday there were more people watching them than were watching the main matches.
Difficult to know whether the walkover is good or bad for Andy.  Good in that he conserves energy when he looked pretty tired last week;bad that he'll come out cold on a very different surface from that in Tokyo while his opponent will already be two matches in.   At least he was able to practise on the court today when he should have been playing.   
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Re: Murray through as Mayer withdraws « Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 12:29 PM »

Mayer rest for our Andrew. Smile
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray through as Mayer withdraws « Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 01:05 PM »

Hi All,

I missed Djokovic's interview. My sister phones at the worst times, bless her. I might do the rewind thing on Skyplus and see Andy gatecrashing lol.

I think it's hard to know what bearing the walkover for Andy will have against Dolgopolov. To my mind Dolgopolov is up and down anyway. I don't think anyone quite knows from one day to the next what he is going to be like. I've certainly seem him play brilliantly, but I've also seen him being, well, dire. The dire one might not be a bad idea tomorrow, just to get Andy in to the tournament and running. pray

I prefer this situation, to be honest, than if Andy had played the second round and then had a walkover in the third. If I remember rightly, which I don't always, that happened earlier in the year and didn't help Andy much. I can't remember where it was mind you.

I'm still picking Andy to win, either in straight sets or three, again, depending on whether or not Andy comes out in the mood from the start.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray through as Mayer withdraws « Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 02:07 PM »

That would have been in Miami teejay. It didn't really affect him that much, but then Nadal withdrew in the semis as well, so he went into the final completely cold and got trounced 6-1 in the first set.

I'd rather no withdrawals at all. These early rounds are the sort of matches Andy needs to get into the tournament. Dolgopolov is a bloody hard first match and I'm really uneasy about this one.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Murray through as Mayer withdraws « Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 02:45 PM »

Who is the joker now eh?  Apparently when Andy and Nole were practising together yesterday there were more people watching them than were watching the main matches.
Difficult to know whether the walkover is good or bad for Andy.  Good in that he conserves energy when he looked pretty tired last week;bad that he'll come out cold on a very different surface from that in Tokyo while his opponent will already be two matches in.   At least he was able to practise on the court today when he should have been playing.  

Well I for one would've been clamouring to watch those two... wub

Go Andy and Nole!

Yes, walkovers and their effects are difficult to gage. But given that Andy played Tokyo, he should be fine and ready to go versus Dolgo. Hope so!!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray through as Mayer withdraws « Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 03:10 PM »

had to smile this morning when sports presenter on R5 Live referred to Andy as USO champion and then the main presenter commented on it and sports presenter said yes planned to use it every time till next USO, as sounds so much better than British no 1 - or words to that effect.  I still find myself doing a double take when I hear him described in that way - and from his recent interview sounds like Andy has had quite a bit of trouble taking it in too.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray through as Mayer withdraws « Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 03:19 PM »

That would have been in Miami teejay. It didn't really affect him that much, but then Nadal withdrew in the semis as well, so he went into the final completely cold and got trounced 6-1 in the first set.

I'd rather no withdrawals at all. These early rounds are the sort of matches Andy needs to get into the tournament. Dolgopolov is a bloody hard first match and I'm really uneasy about this one.

Was it Miami? I remember Andy getting to the final there, so in my head it wasn't, but my memory is bad lol.

In the end it's what will be will be, because there's nothing we can do, but I still think a walkover now is better than playing a round, getting in to a rhythm and then having a walkover.

I honestly think Andy will come out raring to go, but we'll see. Since Andy won the USO I've become an optimist lol.
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Murray through as Mayer withdraws « Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 04:58 PM »

I was at work and in meetings so didnt even get the chance to take a peek at the live scoreboard.
Was I anxious? Yes, you bet I was.
Andy has informed he is contending with end of the season fatigue, like many other Tour players at this time of year. They all have some niggles.

A bit of a rest will do him good, as long as he can practise on that surface. Not as good as a match or two perhaps, but maybe the advantage and disadvantage with at least cancel each other out.

Andy in 2 agaist Dolly!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Murray through as Mayer withdraws « Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 05:02 PM »

Mayer rest for our Andrew. Smile
Yer jokes are getting Mayer corny by the minute. wink
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray through as Mayer withdraws « Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 05:58 PM »

Was it Miami? I remember Andy getting to the final there, so in my head it wasn't, but my memory is bad lol.

In the end it's what will be will be, because there's nothing we can do, but I still think a walkover now is better than playing a round, getting in to a rhythm and then having a walkover.

I honestly think Andy will come out raring to go, but we'll see. Since Andy won the USO I've become an optimist lol.
I think that's the one you're referring to. He beat Falla in a non-televised match, then was set to play Raonic for the first time but he withdrew, then beat Simon and Tipsy I think, before Nadal withdrew in the Semis.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Murray through as Mayer withdraws « Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 07:08 PM »

Bugger!  I was looking forward to this match.  I bet Andy would have preferred to play as well. 
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Murray through as Mayer withdraws « Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 07:13 PM »

Yer jokes are getting Mayer corny by the minute. wink
doh  Not sure who is worse - you or him!  Very Happy
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Murray through as Mayer withdraws « Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 03:46 AM »

doh  Not sure who is worse - you or him!  Very Happy
Robbie is peerless. Very Happy
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »
+ Quick Reply