Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray through opener at Madrid 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray through opener at Madrid

(Read 973 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Murray through opener at Madrid « on: May 07, 2013, 07:32 PM »

Andy Murray won his first match at the Madrid Open beating Germany's Florian Mayer, 7-6 (13-11) 7-6 (7-3).

The Scot struggled to claim his 400th career win, particularly in the first tie-break where he was required to save five set points.

Murray said:

I thought it was good, I just didn't read his serve well. He aced me a lot in the first set. I had chances in almost every service game and he aced me or I didn't read the serve or missed the return.

I moved way, way better than in Monte Carlo and felt I was able to dictate with my forehand, but he's a very difficult player to play; he's so unorthodox and can play almost every shot, can volley well and has such long reach he doesn't play with much topspin and it's tough to hit through him.

Murray will play 16th seed Gilles Simon in his next match.
[ Last edit by Mark May 07, 2013, 07:37 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray through opener at Madrid « Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 08:11 PM »

Great report, Mark. Thanks for taking the time to write it. I applaud you from the bottom of my heart. :p
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray through opener at Madrid « Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 08:17 PM »

Thanks Mark for writing the report. Andy came through a very difficult player.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Murray through opener at Madrid « Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 08:21 PM »

Thanks Mark for the report.  I'm thrilled that Andy won today.. lets hope he goes deep into the Madrid Open.

I saw Djoko lose the first set to Grigor Dimitrov. A littel chink in his armour.
Exicting match!
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Murray through opener at Madrid « Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 08:59 PM »

Tight scoreline, nervy match with some moments of pure brilliance from both players.  Most pleasing aspect, Andy M being 1-4 down then being able to visibly change gears and draw the set level again, such a change in his mental fortitude now, you always knew he never gave up but now he has the class to know he is always still in a set even when trailing by a couple of games.  Seemed very upbeat in his interview at the end of the match throwing in a couple of jokes aimed at Mark Petchy, that is also good to see his ever improving ease with the media.  Good first match, have to say clay is my least favourite surface to watch, but whenever you see the clay you know the grass courts are just round the corner.

Onwards and upwards for Andy M.  Great report btw.

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray through opener at Madrid « Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 10:39 PM »

Good to see Andy moving better and feeling more comfortable on the clay.  He may have struggled to win but that was probably no bad thing and with a day's rest before he plays Simon, a longish match isn't a problem.  And compared to the Dimitrov-Nole match it was over in a flash  Whistle  Must say I was glad it didn't go to 3 sets.  Well done Andy  clap clap clap
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray through opener at Madrid « Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 11:11 PM »

A short and sweet match report, lovely stuff.

I think Andy responded brilliantly when he needed to today. I didn't feel that he was out of it at any point, which makes watching him much easier lol.

Andy did so well to get it done in straights. I think he probably needed a bit of a battle like this to be honest. It should sharpen him up for things to come.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray through opener at Madrid « Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 11:25 PM »

Thanks for the report Mark, nice! Thought Andy moved good on the clay today, great 1st match win, onwards and upwards now! Woohoo!!!   cmon yeah
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Murray through opener at Madrid « Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 11:33 PM »

Thanks for the report Mark.  Thought Andy looked more comfortable on the red stuff and I noticed he was sliding more than he has been doing.  As Petchy said, "he never looked as though he was going to lose the match."  Wish he had told us that during the first set!
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Murray through opener at Madrid « Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 04:22 AM »

Thanks Mark.  So happy for the 2 setter.  C'mon And!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray through opener at Madrid « Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 06:35 AM »

Thanx for the report Mark Smile
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Murray through opener at Madrid « Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 09:22 AM »

Good and fair report, Mark. Thanks
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Murray through opener at Madrid « Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 09:53 AM »

Excellent report Mark, many thanks. It was a behind the sofa match that reduces you to a bag of nerves but when makes you proud to be a fan of Andy's. Who says he can't play on clay - some of his shots were magnificent - he certainly didn't play badly this time despite the struggle. Somehow it seems  that these often excellent but lower seeded players take one look at Andy and produce game play of a standard they rarely achieve and manage to beat him? This time Andy won.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray through opener at Madrid « Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 11:10 AM »

Murray might well have thought it good but I thought it was exhausting and wonder if he will be able to go much further in the tournament
Great report covering everything in a very concise way
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray through opener at Madrid « Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 11:22 AM »

A further comment I notice that Andy is now 900 points ahead of Federer
Andy being 8660 to Federer's 7760 on the live-tennis.eu site Please could someone explain how that can happen?
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »