Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray through to last four at Miami 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray through to last four at Miami

(Read 2584 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray through to last four at Miami « Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 09:38 AM »

Well that was an incisive match report!   Whistle
Didn't come on MW last night as already exhausted and sleep deprived and a complete wreck by time match ended.  Was beginning to wish I'd not got home earlier than expected and was close to chickening out and putting on record when he was broken in 2nd set but glad I hung on in there.  Thought Andy looked really pale - in contrast to how tanned he looked in the clip of Sky interview they showed before the match,. So clearly not well and given he was so pale makes me think it was perhaps something rather more than too much liquid before the match - a problem he has encountered before as he acknowledged so you'd think the team would have it sorted by now.  Anyway I thought it was an impressive victory in the end having to fight the elements, his own sickness as well as Tipsi who played v well for a while but then started unravelling just as Andy had done earlier.  And probably no bad thing to have had a long match with the earlier w/o.  Interesting that Rafa's match was just as long if not slightly longer and sounds like he should have won a set earlier.
Oh it's so good to see Andy back to winning ways and not to be enduring another post-AO slump.  But feel hard done by that I missed the Simon match, which sounded less of a roller coaster and with some beautiful play from the highlights I saw on Sky before the match last night.  As Andy always says when he playes Gilles it's like playing chess.

Thanks Lashurst for the clip.  Interesting to hear how he thought his way out of the problem.  And how typical of Andy not even to mention feeling unwell.   yay
[ Last edit by Ruthie March 29, 2012, 09:47 AM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray through to last four at Miami « Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 10:12 AM »

Some highlights of the match for those (like me) who didn't see it. Very Happy  Comms are not English (sounds a bit Russian to me or possibly Serbian).  Oh, you do lose the ball when it's down the far end but better than nothing yes

[ Last edit by Bevc March 29, 2012, 10:18 AM ] IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Murray through to last four at Miami « Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 11:15 AM »

I couldn't resist watching the highlights even though I watched the matched. Thanks for posting it Bev. I'm so impressed with Andy's resolve to win. How he hung on in there I'll never know. Just see how finished he is as he does the obligatory throwing of wristbands into the crowd, then immediately slumps on his bench.

Shame for Tipsy really, I believe he has never got to a semi, whisch suprising as he is v strong mentally and like Andy will never say die!
 clap clap

An exciting roller coaster Murray match !
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray through to last four at Miami « Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 11:18 AM »

I was glad that I found something Linda.  I've been disappointed with ESPN's coverage of tennis over the last few days, so to get something was a bonus Very Happy
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray through to last four at Miami « Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 11:28 AM »

David Law, 5 live in Miami
"It was a match to be endured rather than enjoyed for Murray and his coach Ivan Lendl. For an hour, Murray looked pale and listless with a stomach complaint - he did not drink any water for the last two sets, because he said he couldn't keep it down. Murray is a fighter though, and came through to set up a semi-final against Rafael Nadal, an 'incredibly tough' opponent he nonetheless enjoys playing."
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray through to last four at Miami « Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 11:43 AM »

Yes can't say I enjoyed the match either but some matches you do just have to endure for the joy of the win at the end.  And after some of the disappointments around this time of year last couple of years it is so good to see Andy's will to win is well and truly back.   
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Murray through to last four at Miami « Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 01:09 PM »

Watching Andy is so full of drama. As Ruthie has said its like a roller coaster up and down, I think being unwell had a lot to do with the game. Glad he got over it and showed his will to win. I was overjoyed when he won a hard match but a winner in the end.
IP Logged
mcenroeforever
Satellite Level

Re: Murray through to last four at Miami « Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 01:51 PM »

Great to see Andy fight back and display such a will to win especially when feeling poorly. A win like this will stand him in good stead next time he falls behind in a match. Really pleased it's Rafa next, it can only do Andy good to play the top players as often as possible outwith the slams to work on a strategy to beat them at the majors. Providing his health improves in the next day or two I fancy that Andy will win this one. cmon yeah
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray through to last four at Miami « Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 02:19 PM »

I'm really proud of Andy and his fighting spirit in adverse conditions, both wind related by the sound of it!
On 5Live this morning Andy said he felt sick and that it was to do he thought because he had taken on too much fluid before the match. It was very hot and humid and it is important to keep hydrated, it can be difficult to get the balance.
For me what was important was the way Andy found the way to win, bodes well for the future. he can get ready now for his match against Nadal. w00t superman
He did exactly the same in Dubai.   Hope he gets it right for the Nadal match - and btw I'm glad that Tsonga gave Nadal a good run for his money after a poor first set.  I agree, it's managing to win through in these sort of circumstances that are the hallmark of a true champion.

David Law, 5 live in Miami
"It was a match to be endured rather than enjoyed for Murray and his coach Ivan Lendl. For an hour, Murray looked pale and listless with a stomach complaint - he did not drink any water for the last two sets, because he said he couldn't keep it down. Murray is a fighter though, and came through to set up a semi-final against Rafael Nadal, an 'incredibly tough' opponent he nonetheless enjoys playing."
With all due respect to David Law - Andy did manage to keep drinking water, albeit in small amounts, after he got those pills from the doctor.

IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray through to last four at Miami « Reply #24 on: March 29, 2012, 03:24 PM »

I'm not sure if this has been posted somewhere already, but from Andy's post match interview:

Q.  Can you just explain what the conditions you were having when you called the doctor on was?

ANDY MURRAY:  I got up like 3 2 in the first set.  I think    I don't know exactly what it was.  Basically the last two sets I hardly drunk anything.
 I have this thing that tests how hydrated you are, which I used that for the match, and I was very hydrated, even though I'd drunk nothing the last couple of sets.  So I don't know if I drunk too much beforehand and kind of overhydrated and was, I don't know, just filled with    stomach was filled with liquid.  Each time I took a sip I wanted to burp, basically.  (Smiling.)
 You know, I had it once before in Bangkok.  I had it the whole week when I was there.  It might be something to do with that.  I need to make sure I address it before the next match.

Q.  When you had your treatment, that would coincide with quite a fast improvement.  Was it the treatment or the fact you got your game together?

ANDY MURRAY:  Well, I stopped drinking.  You know, I took two tablets.  I don't know if it's for indigestion.  He said it was to settle my stomach down.
 I drank very, very little the last two sets. I mean, must have been something to do with that.  It was so hot and humid, and to come off the court hydrated after not really drinking would probably suggest that I had drunk way too much.

More at http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/News/Tennis/2012/Interview-Transcripts/Andy-Murray-28-March.aspx
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray through to last four at Miami « Reply #25 on: March 29, 2012, 03:44 PM »

Thanks Elena.  Well it does sound as though the problem was indeed  due to too much pre-match liquid intake and not anything more worrying, which is a relief to learn. 

Nice report by Simon Cambers in today's Herald.  Very appropriate title as well!

Murray proves he has stomach for a scrap as he battles into semis

Andy Murray last night reminded everyone just why he is one of the world's very best fighters as he scrapped his way into the semi-finals of the Sony Ericsson Open in Miami.

Struggling with what seemed like trapped wind at one stage, the Scot was in real trouble when he trailed the world No.9 Janko Tipsarevic by a set and 2-0 but battled back in typical style to claim a 4-6, 6-3, 6-4 win that will have been as satisfying as any so far this year.

Having rediscovered his form and confidence after an early exit in Indian Wells, the last thing Murray wanted was to let it go but when he squandered an early 4-2 lead to drop the opening set, the world No.4 was far from happy.

And when he dropped serve in the opening game of the second set, he called the doctor and told him there "was too much air in my stomach".

Whatever the pill he took was, it did the trick as he fought back from 2-0 down to 2-2 only to drop his serve once again.

Tipsarevic was taking the game to Murray, his backhand down the line particularly impressive, but once Murray got the break back in the next game, the momentum began to change.

Suddenly, Murray was pulling the trigger at the right time and covering the court better than in the first set, forcing the Serb into more errors as the match wore on. From 2-3 down he won four straight games to level the match and then broke Tipsarevic in the third game of the second set to take control.

Having held the advantage to 4-3, he saved a break point with a big ace and when he came to serve for the match two games later, he made no mistake to complete victory and take his place in the last four.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/tennis/murray-proves-he-has-stomach-for-a-scrap-as-he-battles-into-semis.17166522

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray through to last four at Miami « Reply #26 on: March 29, 2012, 04:37 PM »

Many thanks for posting the post-match interview Elena.
While it's reassuring that Andy hasn't got a bug of some kind I do find it strange that his team hasn't got his fluid intake sorted out  to the last drop.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray through to last four at Miami « Reply #27 on: March 29, 2012, 08:50 PM »

Well that was an incisive match report!   Whistle
Indeed!  MW has a great team of reporters whose reports are often better than those in the media, so I wonder why has this tournament been given short-shrift, particularly as Andy has done so well??

Many thanks for posting the post-match interview Elena.
While it's reassuring that Andy hasn't got a bug of some kind I do find it strange that his team hasn't got his fluid intake sorted out  to the last drop.
Me too, especially as Andy once said that Jez Green carefully measures the amount of fluid he loses through sweating during matches.  If the output is so well checked then I'd have thought that the input would be as well, unless, of course, Andy drank extra of his own accord.  Whatever, I just hope that this isn't allowed to happen again.  Over-hydration can be just as bad as dehydration.  "Hyponatremia or water intoxication - Can Athletes Drink Too Much Water?" - http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/hydrationandfluid/a/Hyponatremia.htm
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray through to last four at Miami « Reply #28 on: March 29, 2012, 08:55 PM »

Just watching Sky who are filling time because the women's match overran and Petchey said these mistakes happen and it's not such an exact science that you can always get the intake just right for the situation.  Still I hope that they'll take more care now this has happened twice.  Incidentally they also showed a kind of executive summary of the Andy-Rafa MC match from last year and I'd forgotten just how brilliant Andy was for much of that match.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray through to last four at Miami « Reply #29 on: March 29, 2012, 09:05 PM »

Interesting what Petchey had to say.  That MC match was Mr Magic at his best.  Had the effect of the anaesthetic in his elbow not worn off by the 3rd set, I think he could have won it.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »