Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray through to quarter-finals in Dubai 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Reply
Author

Murray through to quarter-finals in Dubai

(Read 1110 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Murray through to quarter-finals in Dubai « on: February 29, 2012, 12:44 PM »

Andy Murray stepped up a gear in his second-round match against Marco Chiudinelli in the Dubai Desert Classic today. The Scot needed just 83 minutes to overcome the Swiss qualifier 6-3 6-4 and reach the last eight.

After a worrying first-round encounter yesterday with Michael Berrer, during which Murray said he felt sick, the world number four got back on track with a routine victory over his 185th-ranked opponent.

Murray's breakthrough came in the fourth game, with an astute backhand to the Swiss man's ankles. He then duly held serve comfortably to see out the set. Indeed, the world number four will be delighted to have won 84% of all points on his serve.

In the second set, though, it was Murray's return game that impressed the most and he went close to breaking in the first and seventh games before securing the decisive break at 4-4. Some sweet groundshots sealed the match as the Scot became the first player through to the quarter-finals.

This was an improved performance, but what will please Murray fans most is the absence of the post-Australian Open funk that has blighted the last two seasons. Murray's resolve will be fully tested tomorrow, though, as he faces Czech powerhouse Tomas Berdych for a spot in the semis.
[ Last edit by Grabcopy February 29, 2012, 05:49 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray through to quarter-finals in Dubai « Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 03:55 PM »

Having managed to emerge from the fog of jetlag which he claimed affected his game against Berrer, it was good to see Andy produce more of the tennis we know he can play and record what was a fairly routine defeat of the world No. 185.  Most notably his 1st serve percentage was higher than yesterday, but he will certainly have to up his game against his next opponent, particularly should it be Berdych who's caused him grief in the past.  However, given what we saw in the last two years post-AO, this second win here suggests that Andy really is in a different place mentally now, and that's a very encouraging sign
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Murray through to quarter-finals in Dubai « Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 05:34 PM »

Andy plays at 10.a.m. again tomorrow and its Berdych.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray through to quarter-finals in Dubai « Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 05:54 PM »

Andy plays at 10.a.m. again tomorrow and its Berdych.

Well, he says he likes the heat - "Conditions in Miami are hotter than this," he said. "I find the conditions here almost perfect. I'd been practising my serve quite a lot there and I think that went well today."
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Murray through to quarter-finals in Dubai « Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 06:01 PM »

Andy Murray stepped up a gear in his second-round match against Marco Chiudinelli in the Dubai Desert Classic today. The Scot needed just 83 minutes to overcome the Swiss qualifier 6-3 6-4 and reach the last eight.

After a worrying first-round encounter yesterday with Michael Berrer, during which Murray said he felt sick, the world number four got back on track with a routine victory over his 185th-ranked opponent.

Murray's breakthrough came in the fourth game, with an astute backhand to the Swiss man's ankles. He then duly held serve comfortably to see out the set. Indeed, the world number four will be delighted to have won 84% of all points on his serve.

In the second set, though, it was Murray's return game that impressed the most and he went close to breaking in the first and seventh games before securing the decisive break at 4-4. Some sweet groundshots sealed the match as the Scot became the first player through to the quarter-finals.

This was an improved performance, but what will please Murray fans most is the absence of the post-Australian Open funk that has blighted the last two seasons. Murray's resolve will be fully tested tomorrow, though, as he faces Czech powerhouse Tomas Berdych for a spot in the semis.

Thanks Mark for the match autopsy! It's the news I wanted to hear. Yippee Smile  Hope he gets past Berdy tomorrow.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray through to quarter-finals in Dubai « Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 06:33 PM »

Thanks Mark for the match autopsy! It's the news I wanted to hear. Yippee Smile  Hope he gets past Berdy tomorrow.
No problem but Nigel wrote all that post, he replaced my holding article. Smile
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray through to quarter-finals in Dubai « Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 06:58 PM »

No problem but Nigel wrote all that post, he replaced my holding article. Smile

Don't spoil it - I tried to write it in your style.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Murray through to quarter-finals in Dubai « Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 07:20 PM »

Can anyone please tell me why Andy always seems to be first on court. I know he has not complained about it but it is very unfair. Yet Mr Smug mostly gets the evenings when it is a lot cooler even ak400 cannot dispute that. It is time other players kept a note of Mr Smugs game times I am sure they will find he gets preferential treatment by always playing when it is cool.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray through to quarter-finals in Dubai « Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 07:44 PM »

I think the schedulers are taking it out on Andy because of the comments he made about the Tipsaravic match a few years ago and for not being there last year.  They'll be sorry if he decides not to go next year when he's number 1!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray through to quarter-finals in Dubai « Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 07:47 PM »

I know it looks like a conspiracy, but isn't it just because he's on Nole's side of the draw and as No 1 seed, Nole went out first.
Many, many times it looks like obnoxious favouritism though.Frown
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray through to quarter-finals in Dubai « Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 08:04 PM »

Can anyone please tell me why Andy always seems to be first on court. I know he has not complained about it but it is very unfair. Yet Mr Smug mostly gets the evenings when it is a lot cooler even ak400 cannot dispute that. It is time other players kept a note of Mr Smugs game times I am sure they will find he gets preferential treatment by always playing when it is cool.
Also the crowd is much smaller at that time and Andy likes crowd involvement.  And I agree totally about SmugFed, particularly as he does his training in Dubai where he has resident status (and probably why he's getting all the preferential treatment here), so the heat should be no problem for him either.  Unfortunately, though, as Alis points out Andy could be persona non grata with the tournament organisers for the reasons stated.  Some people don't forgive and forget too easily.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Murray through to quarter-finals in Dubai « Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 08:10 PM »

This tournament is all about money - and Federer, more than anyone, sells tickets. At least he's not got the evening session tomorrow though.

It might work out for the best though really as it isn't ideal to play Berdych in cooler, slower conditions. I think now Andy's feeling ok he won't mind playing in the heat - he's trained in hotter conditions.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray through to quarter-finals in Dubai « Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 09:02 PM »

Don't spoil it - I tried to write it in your style.
lol
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray through to quarter-finals in Dubai « Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 12:45 AM »

This tournament is all about money - and Federer, more than anyone, sells tickets. At least he's not got the evening session tomorrow though.

It might work out for the best though really as it isn't ideal to play Berdych in cooler, slower conditions. I think now Andy's feeling ok he won't mind playing in the heat - he's trained in hotter conditions.
And the other positive aspect is that, should he beat Berdych, he'll have the benefit of a longer recovery time.
IP Logged
NDMS
Junior

You can do it, Andy!

Re: Murray through to quarter-finals in Dubai « Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 01:53 AM »

Fedouche's 3 favorite tourneys outside of the big ones are:  Dubai, Halle, Basel.  I think it's just expected that these three favorably return his dedication and patronage by giving him the marquee matches.

This is not an issue with me.

Agree with Katie on the advantage of not playing Berdych in slower/cooler conditions and with Aileen on the sooner the match is over, the more rest he would get.

Remember, the next match is SF presumably with Nole.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »