Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Wednesday night, Est. time - 1:30am BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray through to Thailand quarters 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray through to Thailand quarters

(Read 1050 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Murray through to Thailand quarters « on: September 29, 2011, 03:54 PM »

Andy Murray is through to the Thailand Open quarter-finals after beating Michael Berrer 6-4 6-2.

The top seed delivered a solid performance completing the match in an hour and 10 minutes.

Murray will now face the winner of the clash between Grigor Dimitrov and Simone Bolelli for a place in the semi-finals.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray through to Thailand quarters « Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 04:13 PM »

Am kicking myself.  Fell asleep and only woke up just as the match finished!   Really pleased to see from all the match comments though that Andy turned in such a good performance. Smile

EDIT: And Grigor Dimitrov it is, having beaten Bolelli 7-6, 6-1.
[ Last edit by Aileen September 29, 2011, 04:54 PM ] IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray through to Thailand quarters « Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 05:05 PM »

I don't remember Andy having played Dimitrov before - has he?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray through to Thailand quarters « Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 05:26 PM »

No, he hasn't.   
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray through to Thailand quarters « Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 06:21 PM »

No, he hasn't.   

Not good news - Andy usually takes a little time to sort out someone he hasn't played before.  I suppose it's the same for Dimitrov but he will have had much more opportunity to watch Andy play.  I'm sure Andy will come through though!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray through to Thailand quarters « Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 06:38 PM »

Not good news - Andy usually takes a little time to sort out someone he hasn't played before.  I suppose it's the same for Dimitrov but he will have had much more opportunity to watch Andy play.  I'm sure Andy will come through though!
I've only watched Dimitrov play three matches.  Can be flashy at times but isn't noted for his consistency.  Definitely some sloppy play in the first set against Bolelli then he found his game in the second.  Having just looked at his wikipedia, his career to date has been up and down like a yo-yo.  Also he's never beaten a top 20 player.  Hopefully Andy will sort him out quickly.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray through to Thailand quarters « Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 06:49 PM »

I like Dimitrov's play, he's obviously modelled himself on Fed, even has the same racquet! Lovely sliced back hand too. I think he's one to watch for the future definitely but at the moment shouldn't give Andy too many problems.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray through to Thailand quarters « Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 09:37 PM »

No, he hasn't.   

Andy interviewed on Tournament website says he has played him before.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray through to Thailand quarters « Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 10:01 PM »

Andy interviewed on Tournament website says he has played him before.
Can't find the interview Tessie, but thanks for the info.  According to Tour info. their H2H is 0-0, but it occurs to me they may have met in the Davis Cup, or in the Juniors?

Anyway the match is scheduled for not before 1 pm BST.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray through to Thailand quarters « Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 10:01 PM »

Can't find the interview Tessie, but thanks for the info.  According to Tour info. their H2H is 0-0, but it occurs to me they may have met in the Davis Cup, or in the Juniors?

Anyway the match is schedule for not before 1 pm BST.

Don't think they would have met in the Juniors as Dimitrov is only 20 - maybe Davis Cup though.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray through to Thailand quarters « Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 10:03 PM »

Don't think they would have met in the Juniors as Dimitrov is only 20 - maybe Davis Cup though.
I thought Juniors very unlikely, so reckon it has to be the Davis Cup.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray through to Thailand quarters « Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 10:13 PM »

I thought Juniors very unlikely, so reckon it has to be the Davis Cup.

Tried to find the answer in Davis Cup website to no avail but did discover Great Britain Juniors are No 1 seeds in the Junior Davis Cup.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray through to Thailand quarters « Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 11:25 PM »

Thanks again Tessie.  To my shame I didn't even know there was a Junior Davis Cup (inaugurated in 1985 along with the Junior Fed Cup).  Greg Rusedski is currently the team captain and from this article it looks as though our Juniors could teach their older counterparts something.  Good luck in the final!

http://www.daviscup.com/en/news/articles/great-britain-top-seeds-in-junior-davis-cup-finals.aspx?channel=daviscupnews
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Murray through to Thailand quarters « Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 11:25 PM »

http://pttthailandopen.org/news.php?nid=125

“I have played Dimitrov before. He’s a young guy trying to make a breakthrough. He’s playing his best this year,” Murray commented on his next opponent.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray through to Thailand quarters « Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 11:32 PM »

Thank you.  I was looking at the Thailand Open on its ATP website.  Like the pic of Andy with his tongue sticking out - it does make him look a little jetlagged!

I think we can assume that Andy remembers who he has and hasn't played in whatever capacity, and as usual he isn't taking anything for granted.  I think we could have an entertaining match here.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »