Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray to open against Haase in Melbourne 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray to open against Haase in Melbourne

(Read 3949 times)
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Murray to open against Haase in Melbourne « on: January 11, 2013, 08:24 AM »

Those who recall their duel at the 2011 US Open might shudder a little at the thought of Andy Murray opening his account at next week’s Australian Open with a match against Robin Haase.

In a match of two halves, Murray came from two sets down and the very brink of defeat to beat the giant Dutchman 6-4 in the fifth.

If the Scot survives the encounter, potential opponents at the sharp end of the draw include Juan Martin del Potro in the last eight, Roger Federer in the semi-finals and Novak Djokovic in the final.

Murray’s probable route to the title:

R1 Haase
R2 Sousa/Smith
R3 Mayer/Stakhovsky
R4 Simon/Dolgopolov/Monfils
QF Del Potro/Cilic
SF Federer
F Djokovic

Murray has been twice a finalist in Melbourne and is desperate to go one better this year, having finally broken his grand-slam duck at last year’s US Open.
[ Last edit by Grabcopy January 11, 2013, 12:55 PM ] IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Murray to open against Haase in Melbourne « Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 08:46 AM »

That's a tough draw.
IP Logged
starrieyed

Re: Murray to open against Haase in Melbourne « Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 09:03 AM »

That is a seriously tough draw. if Andy pulls this out of the hat, it will really be somthing a bit special.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Murray to open against Haase in Melbourne « Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 09:12 AM »

Seen tougher.  Remember USO approaching the last 16......
Raonic, Cilic, Federer or Berdych, Djoker...................bring it on

Think we'll find it opening up as well and worry not about Del Potro
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray to open against Haase in Melbourne « Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 09:54 AM »

It could be a lot worse I think.  He'll know he has to be on guard in 1st round.  My main worry is delpo and then if it's played under the roof because of heat, might not be such an advantage if he plays smugfed in SFs (though I gather smugfed has a tough draw for once, though not seen that yet)
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Murray to open against Haase in Melbourne « Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 10:10 AM »

That's a tough draw.
Not so bad really when other scenarios are considered. I think its reasonable, but there are tripwires as always.
IP Logged
Hamish McHamish
Satellite Level

Re: Murray to open against Haase in Melbourne « Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 11:55 AM »

I actually think this is quite a good draw all things considered. Not only will Haase give Murray a reasonable (but most likely not too troubling) test early on to get him up and running but he has also avoided all his bogey men such as Berdych (whom I know he beat a couple times last year to square up the H2H but I still never fully fancy this match up), Roanic and other such volatile big-hitters. Furthermore he doesn't meet Djoker til the final at which point it will be anybody's game, with the parachute payment of the points a final loss would give compared to a semi defeat. Murray has an excellent H2H with Del P and Simon to boot. Slight amendment to the draw though:

R1 Robin Haase
R2 Sousa/Smith
R3 Mayer/Dolgopolov -  This is actually Mayer/Starkhovsky
R4 Simon/Cilic -  This is Simon/Dolgopolov/Monfils
QF Del Potro - Or Cilic
SF Federer
F Djokovic
IP Logged
Johnny Handsome
Futures Level

Re: Murray to open against Haase in Melbourne « Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 11:58 AM »

very tough. Anybody that got delpo in his quarter had the worst draw.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray to open against Haase in Melbourne « Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 12:48 PM »

OK, I'm freaking out right now itself..... nervous
ALL THE VERY BEST ANDY!!! clapping
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray to open against Haase in Melbourne « Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 12:55 PM »

I actually think this is quite a good draw all things considered. Not only will Haase give Murray a reasonable (but most likely not too troubling) test early on to get him up and running but he has also avoided all his bogey men such as Berdych (whom I know he beat a couple times last year to square up the H2H but I still never fully fancy this match up), Roanic and other such volatile big-hitters. Furthermore he doesn't meet Djoker til the final at which point it will be anybody's game, with the parachute payment of the points a final loss would give compared to a semi defeat. Murray has an excellent H2H with Del P and Simon to boot. Slight amendment to the draw though:

R1 Robin Haase
R2 Sousa/Smith
R3 Mayer/Dolgopolov -  This is actually Mayer/Starkhovsky
R4 Simon/Cilic -  This is Simon/Dolgopolov/Monfils
QF Del Potro - Or Cilic
SF Federer
F Djokovic

Yes, I think you're right. I have amended.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray to open against Haase in Melbourne « Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 01:07 PM »

Could be better, but certainly could be a lot worse.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Murray to open against Haase in Melbourne « Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 01:08 PM »

confused So it's already confirmed that Federer will make the Semi Final is it?
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray to open against Haase in Melbourne « Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 01:10 PM »

confused So it's already confirmed that Federer will make the Semi Final is it?

Not exactly...they see the most capable person or the higher seed...but I gotta feeling that Tsonga will finish off Fed in the quarters Wink
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray to open against Haase in Melbourne « Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 01:13 PM »

Hasn't Tsonga got some sort of injury...yet again?
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray to open against Haase in Melbourne « Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 01:15 PM »

Hasn't Tsonga got some sort of injury...yet again?

Hell yeah, I totally forgot about that Frown
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »