Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray to open against Haase in Melbourne 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray to open against Haase in Melbourne

(Read 2935 times)
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murray to open against Haase in Melbourne « Reply #60 on: January 12, 2013, 11:51 PM »

Hey everyone! Just a heads up, the Read The Round thread for day 1 is up if you want to take part.

http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/read-the-round/rtr-ao-2013-day-1/msg825322/#new
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray to open against Haase in Melbourne « Reply #61 on: January 13, 2013, 07:23 AM »

Yes, i agree with Ruthie and scotnadian. There's a Buddhist proverb which sums up my view  "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear."

Hadn't heard that before and it's brilliant.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray to open against Haase in Melbourne « Reply #62 on: January 14, 2013, 05:20 AM »

Yes, i agree with Ruthie and scotnadian. There's a Buddhist proverb which sums up my view  "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear."

I think it's brilliant that Lendl is on board right now. But equally, as Andy himself has said - he has benefitted from every coach he has had - they have all had their part to play on Andy's tennis journey. And they all speak highly of him now, which says a lot.
I like that proverb MP, and agree that Andy has always had the right 'teacher' at the right time.  He wasn't ready for Lendl until a year ago, and yet so many of us criticised him for delaying finding the right coach for so long.  Andy knew exactly what he wanted, and in the end he got it.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray to open against Haase in Melbourne « Reply #63 on: January 14, 2013, 12:12 PM »

Well said Aileen! People develop at different rates at different times, Andy truly developed and was ready last year to peak, and so happy that he has Lendl, to me he is the best man for the job.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray to open against Haase in Melbourne « Reply #64 on: January 14, 2013, 02:20 PM »

I agree wholeheartedly that different players need different things at different stages - there are too many 'differents' in that, but you get what I mean lol.

I always thought Andy was wise to take his time looking for the right coach at this stage of his career. For a start, he had to be able to work with whoever he chose. They surely needed some common ground, needed to at least get on, because you surely can't spend a lot of time with someone you can't click with. They surely needed the same approach to work, which definitely appears to be the case. There also needed to be trust and honesty in the relationship too. They've both spoken about that.

I think Andy struck gold with Lendl, I really do. They seem similar in many ways. They are both clearly competitive and driven. Lendl was as a player, that hasn't gone away, and we all know about Andy. Lendl, I've always said, surely gets what Andy has been through to get where he is now, having experienced losses himself before he cracked his first major win. Also, Lendl is in a good position to not only have supported Andy through breaking through whatever barriers were in his way, but also supporting him to deal with winning, which I'm sure isn't quite as easy as it sounds.

I'm sure in a way it was a risk to take on Lendl. It was always bound to raise eyebrows somehow. Lendl had been out of the game for years, so everyone was bound to have an opinion. It seems to me that Andy made the right choice.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray to open against Haase in Melbourne « Reply #65 on: January 14, 2013, 05:37 PM »

Andy couldn't have possibly hired Lendl 5 years ago simply because, back then, Andy had no way of knowing what he was going to go through the next 5 years. It was eventually his constant struggle and a few losses in the Major final that had led him to hire someone of Lendl's caliber and it is the same reason why Lendl showed any interest in the first place. If Andy had won at least 1 Slam by now, then the appearance of Lendl in Andy’s life as coach would have never happened. Assuming this is like missing a few steps in between. We should just be happy and accept the way things are right now and intend for the best.

I wonder if anyone remembers but at the start of this partnership just last year around this time there were a few posters on this forum who were very doubtful about this partnership and wondered if it was ever going to work out. And they even thought that Andy would be in for even more humiliation in the future if he failed to win that elusive Slam of his even with Lendl’s help and look where we are right now. So in short, no risk no gain. You can be an average person, live a mediocre/safe life and achieve nothing or you can take the risk, be brave about it or don’t think about the outcome and hope/wish for the best.  In Andy’s case clearly it was never going to be the former.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray to open against Haase in Melbourne « Reply #66 on: January 14, 2013, 06:02 PM »

Things like that.

Some of the best analysts, pundits and coaches were pretty crap at the sport or never even played it. When people laugh down others for pointing things out, questioning what their job is and if they've ever won a Slam, etc it's downright ignorant and quire frankly irrelevant. Even your average armchair fan can be quite knowledgable about tactics, strategy and players' games, strengths and weaknesses. It's a myth that those who played the game professionally are always right and those who didn't know nothing.

Thinking more football than tennis, but there are plenty of ex-players who played at the top of game who were spectacular failures as managers, whilst many who played the game to an even lower level than someone like me go on to becomes great managers. The current Southampton manager who gained back-to-back promotions used to be a physio after playing in the lower leagues, whilst a physio with no experience in the game whatsoever took over from John Barnes to steer Tranmere to safety (they were rock bottom under Barnes). In summary, you don't need to have been a pro to be able to analyse a sport, although having played the sport at some point in your life would obviously help (not essential though - see Tranmere physio). Going back to tennis I dare say many journalists who watch the sport week in, out would make far better pundits than the likes of Andrew Castle.

Anyway, you touched upon a sore point of mine and I shall shut up now. Very Happy Moving on..

Quite true. In fact, some of the greatest coaches of all time didn't even have any formal training or any true experience in the field they taught. It’s a myth and a misconception at its best. Einstein, for example, never had Physics as his major; in fact, failed in one of the Physics courses in college and was a mediocre/average student all his life. A drop out couple of times and it was because of his father he had to go back to college. He personally just did not care for mainstream studies. And yet, he’s known as The Scientist of all time. No proper training, no proper schooling, no fancy credentials or whatsoever. And if He were to teach in one of the renown Universities today without any so called credentials, he would have been rejected right away.  So we do live in pretentious world where people are now far keen on credentials rather than one’s true ability. Even if I, let’s say, have sound knowledge on some field without the formal studies just learned by myself, then majority of the people would be very keen on dismissing me without giving it a second chance and won’t hesitate on adding the world ‘pseudo’ in front of my name. The truth is of course and will always be greater than what we know or understand. Some people are just born to be coaches (and other stuff) and whether they had any genuine experience in the related fields or not is completely irrelevant. Mozart was already composing at age 5 and no one ever taught him that. He was just good at it naturally and was born to be a composer.
IP Logged
steve bywaters
Junior

Re: Murray to open against Haase in Melbourne « Reply #67 on: January 14, 2013, 06:09 PM »

Andy couldn't have possibly hired Lendl 5 years ago simply because, back then, Andy had no way of knowing what he was going to go through the next 5 years. It was eventually his constant struggle and a few losses in the Major final that had led him to hire someone of Lendl's caliber and it is the same reason why Lendl showed any interest in the first place. If Andy had won at least 1 Slam by now, then the appearance of Lendl in Andy’s life as coach would have never happened. Assuming this is like missing a few steps in between. We should just be happy and accept the way things are right now and intend for the best.

I wonder if anyone remembers but at the start of this partnership just last year around this time there were a few posters on this forum who were very doubtful about this partnership and wondered if it was ever going to work out. And they even thought that Andy would be in for even more humiliation in the future if he failed to win that elusive Slam of his even with Lendl’s help and look where we are right now. So in short, no risk no gain. You can be an average person, live a mediocre/safe life and achieve nothing or you can take the risk, be brave about it or don’t think about the outcome and hope/wish for the best.  In Andy’s case clearly it was never going to be the former.

hi emma. 40deg going to be too much I just cant see him doing it. He really hates the heat and his game becomes ordinary as a result. Shame because without mum around he's become a man at last and would otherwise have won it I feel
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Murray to open against Haase in Melbourne « Reply #68 on: January 14, 2013, 06:11 PM »

What the hell...?
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray to open against Haase in Melbourne « Reply #69 on: January 14, 2013, 06:11 PM »

hi emma. 40deg going to be too much I just cant see him doing it. He really hates the heat and his game becomes ordinary as a result. Shame because without mum around he's become a man at last and would otherwise have won it I feel

Being so cheerful obviously keeps you going. The backhanded dig at Judy, and thereby Andy, is just plain uncalled for.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Murray to open against Haase in Melbourne « Reply #70 on: January 14, 2013, 06:18 PM »

Slam time and the trolls rise to the surface!!!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray to open against Haase in Melbourne « Reply #71 on: January 14, 2013, 06:33 PM »

The heat is definitely going to be a factor but it will be for everyone unless of course either Nole or Federer or both get the night schedules more than Andy; then of course Andy's chances will decrease. But we have to keep in mind that it's Nole who has a history of dealing with terrible heat right here at the AO. So who is to say he's not going to suffer the most. Though I take it he has taken quite a few precautions since 2011 so maybe he'll fine in the end. The easy draw helps too.

Andy has other factors too but I think it's best to take one match at a time. The ESPN team tends to think that Andy has a great shot here despite his tough draw and I am sure they've taken everything into account.

I am not sure actually how much Judy truly stood in the way of Andy finally maturing and growing as a player, but she did one thing right and that is, she handled her sons in the right direction, so I am sure she plays a big part in both Andy and Jaime’s life. You know how they say behind every successful man, there’s a great woman. If you ask Jim Carrey though, he’ll say, behind every great man, there’s a great woman rolling her eyes. lol.

Anyway, Lendl, of course, has become the biggest factor in Andy’s life and for the right reasons. I am sure he’s a playing a significant part in Andy’s growing and maturing as a great player as well. I'd say Andy needed everything he has now to achieve what he achieved so far including his family.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray to open against Haase in Melbourne « Reply #72 on: January 14, 2013, 06:56 PM »

Slam time and the trolls rise to the surface!!!

Too bloody right- and extremely sexist ones as well  Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
steve bywaters
Junior

Re: Murray to open against Haase in Melbourne « Reply #73 on: January 14, 2013, 07:18 PM »

The heat is definitely going to be a factor but it will be for everyone unless of course either Nole or Federer or both get the night schedules more than Andy; then of course Andy's chances will decrease. But we have to keep in mind that it's Nole who has a history of dealing with terrible heat right here at the AO. So who is to say he's not going to suffer the most. Though I take it he has taken quite a few precautions since 2011 so maybe he'll fine in the end. The easy draw helps too.

Andy has other factors too but I think it's best to take one match at a time. The ESPN team tends to think that Andy has a great shot here despite his tough draw and I am sure they've taken everything into account.

I am not sure actually how much Judy truly stood in the way of Andy finally maturing and growing as a player, but she did one thing right and that is, she handled her sons in the right direction, so I am sure she plays a big part in both Andy and Jaime’s life. You know how they say behind every successful man, there’s a great woman. If you ask Jim Carrey though, he’ll say, behind every great man, there’s a great woman rolling her eyes. lol.

Anyway, Lendl, of course, has become the biggest factor in Andy’s life and for the right reasons. I am sure he’s a playing a significant part in Andy’s growing and maturing as a great player as well. I'd say Andy needed everything he has now to achieve what he achieved so far including his family.
but doesnt Djoko's egg vacuum acclimatiser give him an unfair advantage (twice that of illegal blood doping apparently!). I hesitate to use the word cheating on this forum so I'll stop there.
As for murray's mother I agree she's played her part but its no coincidence since the Lendl "ear plug" incident she's been "too busy" to attend every single bleedin tournament he plays in
Thanks to Lendl no longer is her presence allowed to switch murray's on court persona from man to boy, I feel.
But if the weather wasnt so hot and most of  Australia wasnt actually on fire I'd say he'd reach the final again
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Murray to open against Haase in Melbourne « Reply #74 on: January 14, 2013, 07:24 PM »

but doesnt Djoko's egg vacuum acclimatiser give him an unfair advantage (twice that of illegal blood doping apparently!). I hesitate to use the word cheating on this forum so I'll stop there.
As for murray's mother I agree she's played her part but its no coincidence since the Lendl "ear plug" incident she's been "too busy" to attend every single bleedin tournament he plays in
Thanks to Lendl no longer is her presence allowed to switch murray's on court persona from man to boy, I feel.
But if the weather wasnt so hot and most of  Australia wasnt actually on fire I'd say he'd reach the final again

Judy Murray has an important role with the LTA now do you not think that is why she can no longer attend every tournament?  Why do you appear on here only when there is a major tournament and try to bait everyone?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »