Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Friday, Time - 6:30pm GMT - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray to play aggressively at US Open 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray to play aggressively at US Open

(Read 1000 times)
Johnny Handsome
Futures Level

Re: Murray to play aggressive at US Open « Reply #15 on: August 30, 2009, 08:09 PM »

Indeed, maybe his is learning from his mistakes

I dunno, i mean he didn't lose to federer for example because of not playing agressive enough.
If murray is confident that all out agrression works against a certain opponent , then he plays that way. I agree he should step out of his comfort zone a bit, but at the end of the day its all about how to match up to an opponent.

People keep comparing performances to his nadal semi win,  but murray was confident enough to play so explosive, because he knows nadal can be hurt on faster surfaces against that type of play, nadal can look a bit flat footed when players go big out wide into his forehand, he get's beat by the same patterns of play every time he loses.
You can't play everyone like you play nadal, just look how soderling got schooled by federer in the french.

It all comes down to confidence for murray, or how confident he can become, when his tail is up he can rip opponents apart, and thats the play that can win him this tournament.
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: Murray to play aggressive at US Open « Reply #16 on: August 30, 2009, 08:21 PM »

Was just refering to the fact that people were saying that he doesn't seem to learn from the mistakes he had made several times and doesn't seem to change his tactics during a match when his first plan isn't getting the desired results
IP Logged
Johnny Handsome
Futures Level

Re: Murray to play aggressive at US Open « Reply #17 on: August 30, 2009, 09:12 PM »

Was just refering to the fact that people were saying that he doesn't seem to learn from the mistakes he had made several times and doesn't seem to change his tactics during a match when his first plan isn't getting the desired results

ok ,sorry i only wanted a link so i could have i little say, i probably shouldn't have inserted a quote.
[ Last edit by the big cheese August 30, 2009, 09:17 PM ] IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: Murray to play aggressive at US Open « Reply #18 on: August 30, 2009, 09:48 PM »

ok ,sorry i only wanted a link so i could have i little say, i probably shouldn't have inserted a quote.
Don't worry, can never be sure if it's just a quote or if people are having a go- I don't blame you Very Happy
IP Logged
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Re: Murray to play aggressive at US Open « Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 01:50 AM »

I think he should focus on the UF's first! There is simply no way he could play aggressive on the form of Cinci. Any signs as to what time or day his match is?
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Murray to play aggressive at US Open « Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 09:08 AM »

Del P didn't have the puff to beat a patient Andy in 3 never mind 5! Best tactic against him is to keep him running as much as possible in the opening few sets and he's putty for the end of the match! No danger there!
  That's true at the moment but he's a couple of years younger than Andy and will improve in strength and stamina as Andy did and will be a real contender. He's good! And Boogers is right - at their last meeting he had played back to back tourneys and lasted five against Fed - I don't think he should be underestimated but then neither should Andy - it's all in the melting pot. crossfingers
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Murray to play aggressive at US Open « Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 09:12 AM »

It all comes down to confidence for murray, or how confident he can become, when his tail is up he can rip opponents apart, and thats the play that can win him this tournament.

Agreed, confidence is a big thing for Andy, too. It all has to come together at the right time. Think
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murray to play aggressive at US Open « Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 12:01 PM »

I think he should focus on the UF's first! There is simply no way he could play aggressive on the form of Cinci.

Yeah he needs his 1st serves to go in and to keep the unforced errors down. He's a top player and by admitting he needs to play more aggressively he's showing he's ready to mentally adjust his game plan for his opponents. He's been described as being good at tactics before so now we just need to wait and see! Go Andy!! yay
IP Logged
Stagger_2009
Re: Murray to play aggressive at US Open « Reply #23 on: August 31, 2009, 03:53 PM »

I must protest.  It's one thing for dumb sportsmen to ignore adverbs, but it's another thing entirely for 'writers'.  It's play aggressiveLY.  The simplification of language leads inevitably to the simplification of thought (Stagger, 2009).

Mod NoticeThank you for your feedback, Stagger.

To keep this thread on topic, discussion about this post was moved to the news feedback thread.
[ Last edit by Mark August 31, 2009, 04:39 PM ] IP Logged
mackym
Challenger Level

Re: Murray to play aggressively at US Open « Reply #24 on: September 01, 2009, 10:36 AM »

Ironically, against Del P playing passively may get him into trouble but it extends the length of the points and knackers DP out. For this year at least it may actually be the best approach, as ugly as it is, as I think DP can out-hit  Andy. As for Nads, there's no way he will make the semis this year. He needs to be playing 100% on this surface and he isn't there yet.

If Muzzah can get the balance right this fortnigh between pushing and hitting, he will win this slam.
IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

What was I drinking last night?

Re: Murray to play aggressively at US Open « Reply #25 on: September 01, 2009, 11:10 AM »

I think it is down to getting the balance correct and simply being aggressive for the sake of it would be a big mistake and he should judge each opponent on their own merits (as he normally has done in the past).

Federer has shown the form that has made him arguably the best player of all time after last years relatively poor showing (attributed to glandular fever, back injury etc).

Federer of late will not allow Andy (or any other player in the world for that matter) to play aggressively or bully him on court to control the match, and will rip him a new one if he doggedly sticks to aggressive tactics for the sake of it for the full match.

It is all down to being match smart and changing things that are not working during the game until hopefully the momentum swings in his favour.

Andy has one of the best games out there so variety may well be his best chance of bagging his first slam.
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: Murray to play aggressively at US Open « Reply #26 on: September 01, 2009, 11:17 AM »

I think what needs to be remembered is that a slam is a different beast due to the five potential sets. The defensive tactic is likely to be more effective on some people since even if he lets one or two sets drop, the player may not have the stamina to see the match out - but then does he really want every match he plays to go to five? No, so like has already been said, I think we have to hope that he will get the balance right
IP Logged
Harold H. Comings
Re: Murray to play aggressively at US Open « Reply #27 on: September 01, 2009, 07:15 PM »

I think he's going to do all right. Balance with regard to aggressiveness is important. I think he'll understand the difference between aggressive and obnoxious. Some of the most aggressive people I've known could be deceptively cool. Generally, behavior follows mindset rather than mindset following behavior.
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Murray to play aggressively at US Open « Reply #28 on: September 01, 2009, 08:00 PM »

I think it is down to getting the balance correct and simply being aggressive for the sake of it would be a big mistake and he should judge each opponent on their own merits (as he normally has done in the past).

Federer has shown the form that has made him arguably the best player of all time after last years relatively poor showing (attributed to glandular fever, back injury etc).

Federer of late will not allow Andy (or any other player in the world for that matter) to play aggressively or bully him on court to control the match, and will rip him a new one if he doggedly sticks to aggressive tactics for the sake of it for the full match.

It is all down to being match smart and changing things that are not working during the game until hopefully the momentum swings in his favour.

Andy has one of the best games out there so variety may well be his best chance of bagging his first slam.

Excellent comments, total sense. Thanks for those.
IP Logged
LC the fan
Junior

Re: Murray to play aggressively at US Open « Reply #29 on: September 01, 2009, 08:21 PM »

Quite agree - less defensively sometimes.  It works most of the times but just occasionally an effective aggresion could throw an opponent.
He has the game to make the killing approach shot - just one or two effective volleys could make all the difference
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »