Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray to skip Davis Cup tie with Slovakia 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray to skip Davis Cup tie with Slovakia

(Read 7170 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Murray to skip Davis Cup tie with Slovakia « Reply #150 on: February 10, 2012, 03:54 PM »

Don't know, sorry Joe.
I'm currently watching DC Wawrinka/Fish on telly.  1 set all, 5-3 Wawrinka.
Never seen them play each other before.... and the good thing is it's a given one of them will lose.. yes
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Murray to skip Davis Cup tie with Slovakia « Reply #151 on: February 10, 2012, 04:02 PM »

Having just listened to the remarks of the commentators at Braehead, there is no doubt in my mind that they are totally aware of Andy's true fitness levels and leave us to read between the lines.  I now appreciate just how much pressure rests with the other lads to pull off this very important clash.  When a player withdraws from a tournament he lets down his international fan base.  When he pulls out of a DC match, he lets down his country.  Unless Andy IS considerably unfit, I suspect he will now be feeling mighty awkward.  I know I would be.  Leon Smith wanting Andy to win a GS won't ensure Leon keeps his DC captaincy if the team loses and why should Ivan be too bothered by Andy's absence, he's not British.  Rory McIlroy once spoke out of turn about the importance of the Ryder Cup, but he soon changed his tune and was adored as a result of it.  Come on Dan Evans!!!

Oh come on, he hasn't given secrets to the Soviets. Appropriate scheduling is all important and if he even feels a small twinge, then DC is just not worth it. Time for the other lads to earn their corn - which Dan Evans seems to be doing right now! Who knows, it might do them good to pull off a victory without Murray to help them? The power of confidence and all that...
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray to skip Davis Cup tie with Slovakia « Reply #152 on: February 10, 2012, 04:04 PM »

Dan Evans just took first set 6-3 against Lacko!  Some smart play from Evans.  cmon GB
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Re: Murray to skip Davis Cup tie with Slovakia « Reply #153 on: February 10, 2012, 04:09 PM »

I just hope he doesn't do a Boggo and crash and burn from here on - though he is playing someone ranked about 200 places above him. Good show so far, it seems.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Murray to skip Davis Cup tie with Slovakia « Reply #154 on: February 10, 2012, 04:15 PM »

Joe..  this?..

http://www.lta.org.uk/fans-major-events/Davis-Cup/GB-v-SVK---As-it-Happens/GB-v-Slovak-Republic-As-it-Happens/160911---Friday---Davis-Cup---Live-updates-As-it-Happens/

You can also check the twitter site:
http://twitter.com/BritishTennis
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Re: Murray to skip Davis Cup tie with Slovakia « Reply #155 on: February 10, 2012, 04:19 PM »

Yes, I'm following the LTA site. I just prefer a live scoreboard as you know what's going on within each game, rather than crapping yourself wondering why the next text update is taking so long and assuming that your player is being dragged through 20 deuces to hold their serve! lol
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray to skip Davis Cup tie with Slovakia « Reply #156 on: February 10, 2012, 04:35 PM »

Having just listened to the remarks of the commentators at Braehead, there is no doubt in my mind that they are totally aware of Andy's true fitness levels and leave us to read between the lines.  I now appreciate just how much pressure rests with the other lads to pull off this very important clash.  When a player withdraws from a tournament he lets down his international fan base.  When he pulls out of a DC match, he lets down his country.  Unless Andy IS considerably unfit, I suspect he will now be feeling mighty awkward.  I know I would be.  Leon Smith wanting Andy to win a GS won't ensure Leon keeps his DC captaincy if the team loses and why should Ivan be too bothered by Andy's absence, he's not British.  Rory McIlroy once spoke out of turn about the importance of the Ryder Cup, but he soon changed his tune and was adored as a result of it.  Come on Dan Evans!!!
Sorry FCR - but I agree with Joe.  I don't care if Andy is fit as a flea.  He has a tough year ahead of him and Leon and the team appreciate that.  It's high time the other lads stepped up to the plate, and Slovakia will be a good test for them.  GB will have to play lights-out, but Slovakia are not unbeatable.  Also Andy has given his all for GB in the past, which is more than Federer has ever done for Switzerland - playing 20 ties in 13 years is pathetic.  I certainly don't hold anything against Andy for reaching what was, for him, clearly a difficult decision.

GB getting good crowd support, particularly from the usual enthusiastic Stirling Uni mob!
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray to skip Davis Cup tie with Slovakia « Reply #157 on: February 10, 2012, 04:40 PM »

FCR I don't agree with you, Andy has to do what is best for him and the Davis Cup success should not rest purely with him...Dan Evans is playing very well and this could be the making of him and his career as the commentators have said.And do you really think Leon Smith would lose his captaincy if GB lose,
of course he won't.

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray to skip Davis Cup tie with Slovakia « Reply #158 on: February 10, 2012, 04:48 PM »

FCR I don't agree with you, Andy has to do what is best for him and the Davis Cup success should not rest purely with him...Dan Evans is playing very well and this could be the making of him and his career as the commentators have said.And do you really think Leon Smith would lose his captaincy if GB lose,
of course he won't.
Smith is a whole different captain from John Lloyd.  Anyway this isn't football, so I agree, no way will he be sacked if we lose.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray to skip Davis Cup tie with Slovakia « Reply #159 on: February 10, 2012, 04:52 PM »

And Evans takes the 2nd set 7-5.   211 ranking points below Lacko - you'd never know it from the  way he's been playing.  Greatly improved tennis and attitude.

So having made himself comfortable, let's see more of the same from Dan.
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Murray to skip Davis Cup tie with Slovakia « Reply #160 on: February 10, 2012, 05:08 PM »

I wonder how disappointed Judy Murray would feel if "one of her girls" put self before country?  Come on Dan Evans.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Re: Murray to skip Davis Cup tie with Slovakia « Reply #161 on: February 10, 2012, 05:12 PM »

I wonder how disappointed Judy Murray would feel if "one of her girls" put self before country?  Come on Dan Evans.

Again, where does this sense of a massive injustice against the nation come from? It's a big year for Murray, he'll be going deep in all 4 Slams as well as the Olympics - something's got to give. If he doesn't feel quite right, then DC needs to be at the bottom of his priorities.

I'd imagine that Judy Murray would be understanding, given that she has a son who is the world no 4 and gunning for Slam titles. This isn't even an issue, so get over it.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray to skip Davis Cup tie with Slovakia « Reply #162 on: February 10, 2012, 05:15 PM »

I somehow don't think Judy would feel disappointed if one of her girls was in a similar situation.  She knows exactly what's a stake.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray to skip Davis Cup tie with Slovakia « Reply #163 on: February 10, 2012, 05:22 PM »

3-3.   Evans needs to stay calm and stop trying to rush things.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray to skip Davis Cup tie with Slovakia « Reply #164 on: February 10, 2012, 05:28 PM »

That was a very iffy call ...
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »