Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray to skip Davis Cup tie with Slovakia 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 15 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray to skip Davis Cup tie with Slovakia

(Read 6838 times)
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray to skip Davis Cup tie with Slovakia « Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 07:14 AM »

Of course it's the right decision, the tennis schedule is packed enough without adding the Davis Cup. If the media want Andy to win a slam, they must lower their expectations of him competing endlessly in DCs.
However, suspect we will now lose....... Whistle
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray to skip Davis Cup tie with Slovakia « Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 07:33 AM »

At least the injuries are minor but no point aggravating them at the start of the season.  Obviously Andy will have taken advice from his his physio and fitness trainer, but it wouldn't surprise me if Lendl didn't have a say in this, which is good, because I think it shows that he really does mean business when it comes to winning a Slam this year.

I'm not too happy though about the apparent line up according to the BBC.  Fleming and Hutchins for the doubles is obviously good, and hopefully Ward will have gained more confidence since last time - but Dan Evans?  I'd like to see Golding in the squad.  Still, I have faith in Leon Smith and I'm sure he'll encouarge and inpsire them to give of their very best.  They cannot go on depending on Andy all the time.

Feel a bit sorry for those who have tickets and who wanted to see Andy, but I'm certain the crowd at Braehead will still give the lads the huge support they always have done.  Against Slovakia, they're going to need it!

IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Murray to skip Davis Cup tie with Slovakia « Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 10:22 AM »

I too think he should take a break and not push himself or his body too far so early in the season. As you all say, the Press/Media will make the usual derogatory comments.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray to skip Davis Cup tie with Slovakia « Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 11:58 AM »

Andy still at work. A tweet from Maggie May entitled 'Who's the daddy?'

* AkjzADCCMAAZ9T4.jpg (194 KB, 600x600 - viewed 336 times.)
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Re: Murray to skip Davis Cup tie with Slovakia « Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 12:44 PM »

who is Maggie May?
IP Logged
KitKat
Seed

Re: Murray to skip Davis Cup tie with Slovakia « Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 01:02 PM »

who is Maggie May?
She's one of his dogs  Very Happy
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Murray to skip Davis Cup tie with Slovakia « Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 04:15 PM »

I have tickets for the whole weekend and must admit I am not looking forward to it in the same way that I was last time when I knew Andy would be there.  As I posted on the other thread the whole arena had an air of excitement knowing that you were going to see the No. 4 player in the World because he is a global sports superstar.  The atmosphere was electric and the excitement was amazing.
Even though I have purchased tickets I will still go and cheer on the Team but really only bought the tickets with the hope of seeing Andy play live again.  I could not believe the last time he is an amazing athlete and his movement is second to none, some of the shots he was hitting were jaw dropping.
I really hope for Leon Smith’s sake the rest of the team step up to the mark – obviously Fleming and Hutchins are an excellent doubles team who are capable of beating the best as they have shown recently, but the other singles players need to come forward.  I too think that seeing the likes of Ollie Goulding play would be good, Andy first played for his country at 17 so if your good enough your old enough !!!  It would be great experience for Goulding and I think he would go into that with less fear than some of the players who have fallen short before.

I really believe Andy has made the correct decision, this forthcoming year is far too important to take any risks – I would rather see him fully fit and gaining the benefit of having a training block with Lendl than risking it all for a DC tie.    There are hopefully great things to come from Andy this year and I (even with my tickets) would not want to see him risk aggravating injuries).  Am kind of hoping that he will come along and support the team – purely selfish I would love a photograph and and an autograph !!!!

IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Murray to skip Davis Cup tie with Slovakia « Reply #22 on: February 01, 2012, 05:16 PM »

^ I can sympathise with how disappointed everyone who is an Andy fan and who bought tickets for this event is.  Really hope you still have a good weekend, and I'm sure you will.  I have tickets for Dubai, and am still not sure he will play, but it will still be a good event with lots of tennis to enjoy!  
IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: Murray to skip Davis Cup tie with Slovakia « Reply #23 on: February 01, 2012, 06:42 PM »

I think what ever the camp of Lendl and murray decide will be for the best for Andy.

Lendl now sees what Andy has to improve on . French open and the other tournaments before that event. Unfortunately, there is only Andy who can put the UK to win the next event in the Davis Cup, but you cannot rely on one player only. Uk must have other players to perform but we do not have them.

It is great what Andy has done for the uk,but he is never recognised it is disgraceful why always complaining. He is the best player that the uk have procuded and it will  get better as the year goes on. I am a great supporter.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray to skip Davis Cup tie with Slovakia « Reply #24 on: February 01, 2012, 06:57 PM »

At least the injuries are minor but no point aggravating them at the start of the season.  Obviously Andy will have taken advice from his his physio and fitness trainer, but it wouldn't surprise me if Lendl didn't have a say in this, which is good, because I think it shows that he really does mean business when it comes to winning a Slam this year.

I'm not too happy though about the apparent line up according to the BBC.  Fleming and Hutchins for the doubles is obviously good, and hopefully Ward will have gained more confidence since last time - but Dan Evans?  I'd like to see Golding in the squad.  Still, I have faith in Leon Smith and I'm sure he'll encouarge and inpsire them to give of their very best.  They cannot go on depending on Andy all the time.

Feel a bit sorry for those who have tickets and who wanted to see Andy, but I'm certain the crowd at Braehead will still give the lads the huge support they always have done.  Against Slovakia, they're going to need it!

Unfortunately James Ward has withdrawn from a tournie this week due to an injury! Dan Evans however has won 2 tournies very recently and is a real tryer (a bit like a poor mans David Ferrer) Doubles team as you say definately right. Ollie Golding was on the bench last time and would hope Leon would do it again to keep giving him a sense of the occasion.  I have tickets for all 3 days and yes I am disappointed not to see Andy but feel he has made the right decision and when I booked the tickets it was to see the team play so I am still very much looking forward to watching tennis!  

[ Last edit by Tessie February 01, 2012, 07:00 PM ] IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray to skip Davis Cup tie with Slovakia « Reply #25 on: February 01, 2012, 07:07 PM »

Oh Michelle thanks for that,warms my heart seeing Andy doing "normal" things and enjoying his dogs bless him. He should pull out of DC,, but gutted for fans with tickets.
[ Last edit by deb February 01, 2012, 07:16 PM ] IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray to skip Davis Cup tie with Slovakia « Reply #26 on: February 01, 2012, 07:34 PM »

Thanks Michelle... cute, normal and a smashing pair of wellies!
Dogs are the best de-stresser... well, that and wine Whistle
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Murray to skip Davis Cup tie with Slovakia « Reply #27 on: February 01, 2012, 08:03 PM »

Quote from: scotnadian link=topic=20388.msg699842#msg699842 date=
[/quote
Don't you mean wine-ing. roflmao Oh, I am a cad.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray to skip Davis Cup tie with Slovakia « Reply #28 on: February 01, 2012, 08:40 PM »

[quote author=scotnadian link=topic=20388.msg699842#msg699842 date=
Don't you mean wine-ing. roflmao Oh, I am a cad.
Well.. all I have to say is.. Winenot?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray to skip Davis Cup tie with Slovakia « Reply #29 on: February 02, 2012, 04:04 AM »

Aww - that's a lovely photo.  Nice to see Andy looking so relaxed.  I know he'll miss the company of the other lads by not playing in this tie, and also might feel that he's letting his fans down, but that's what he really needs - two weeks rest with them and Kim.   
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 15 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »