Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray to skip entire clay court season 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray to skip entire clay court season

(Read 4650 times)
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray to skip entire clay court season « Reply #120 on: April 02, 2012, 07:17 PM »

For goodness sake, it was meant to be funny and it was funny - get a life!  I'm sure if Andy heard about it he would have been highly amused and not in the least distracted.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray to skip entire clay court season « Reply #121 on: April 02, 2012, 08:00 PM »

Sorry but I didn’t think it was all that clever as all the usual suspects (Nigel, Mark and Aileen) were acting out of their character. Never mind the content of the article which had Nigel written all over it especially the last line, “And it turns your socks pink”. I mean since when a serious announcement ends with a complete irrelevant yet funny line?

Nigel didn’t bother to make any comments over such an announcement. Coincidence? I didn’t think so. Mark became a chatterbox overnight supporting the article left, right and centre. Highly suspicious. Aileen did the unthinkable by not dissecting the article and analyzing it in ten different ways (sorry Aileen you know I am that way too!). The only clever move was the post by invisibleman18 which had me confused for a bit but only if he was involved in all this - otherwise there were just too many giveaways.

It may have fooled some people outside this forum but I am sure only for a second or two but I like the attempt though. I like pranks.

Don’t get me wrong but the timing felt very wrong because I don’t think it should have involved Andy at all, who had a very big match the following day. If there’s a remote possibility in anything to distract Andy, I would skip it.

IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Murray to skip entire clay court season « Reply #122 on: April 02, 2012, 08:10 PM »

roflmao... I,d have liked that for one of my posts Mark.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray to skip entire clay court season « Reply #123 on: April 02, 2012, 08:33 PM »

For goodness sake, it was meant to be funny and it was funny - get a life!  I'm sure if Andy heard about it he would have been highly amused and not in the least distracted.

Actually my post was meant to be fun as well if you kindly notice the overall tone of it but I was serious about the last bit. I am not too sure if Andy should know about pranks just before a big match but that's only my take on it.

It's not only Andy's game that I like very much but I like the fact how he handles himself both on and off court. Had he flipped over every single sentence he didn’t agree on or the line calls that didn’t go his way, I probably wouldn’t have been a fan of his at all.   
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray to skip entire clay court season « Reply #124 on: April 02, 2012, 08:33 PM »

The overall tone was god awful from what I remember.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray to skip entire clay court season « Reply #125 on: April 02, 2012, 08:41 PM »

Are you back to stay Emma Jean?
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray to skip entire clay court season « Reply #126 on: April 02, 2012, 09:17 PM »

The overall tone was god awful from what I remember.

I am simply stating what gave away the prank. The article itself was very funny but it was called on right after a couple of genuine posts in the very first page within the hour or so I think. A bit more serious tone would have been more effective I think.

Still, my apologies if it sounded God awful. I was sucked into the prank right away so can’t say it wasn’t successful at all. I always like Nigel's writing style.

And if it’s any consolation, you look handsome today.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray to skip entire clay court season « Reply #127 on: April 02, 2012, 09:19 PM »

Are you back to stay Emma Jean?

Hi Scot, no but I may stop by from time to time. I do miss talking about Andy but it can be done without.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murray to skip entire clay court season « Reply #128 on: April 02, 2012, 09:52 PM »

I am simply stating what gave away the prank. The article itself was very funny but it was called on right after a couple of genuine posts in the very first page within the hour or so I think. A bit more serious tone would have been more effective I think.

Still, my apologies if it sounded God awful. I was sucked into the prank right away so can’t say it wasn’t successful at all. I always like Nigel's writing style.

And if it’s any consolation, you look handsome today.

Rolling Eyes Hate to point this out but I doubt (despite the twitter interest) that Andy was all that bothered or there was any chance of this distracting him. As to the rest of your comment- we had actually all worked it out without your wonderful dissection of it. Your overall tone is much the same as usual- which I think Mark summed up in a fairly accurate manner.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray to skip entire clay court season « Reply #129 on: April 03, 2012, 09:03 AM »

Isn't that the whole point of April fools that there is a giveaway tucked away that sometimes the credulous don't spot?  And even if Andy heard about it I think it would have made him laugh which can be no bad thing in build up to a big match.  After all team Murray spend enough time fooling round or at least did in the past and sounds like Lendl is in to having fun too.  Tennis is such a driven, high pressure sport I can only think that some humour is all to the good.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray to skip entire clay court season « Reply #130 on: April 03, 2012, 09:07 AM »

I think the fact it wasn't subtle at the end just makes the April Fools article that much more clever based on how many people fell for it. I can't get my head around people complaining about the hints in there - it was there to add humour.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray to skip entire clay court season « Reply #131 on: April 03, 2012, 05:32 PM »

The idea behind April fool is to fool the intended audience and not get caught until you tell them, "April fool". Doh. Anyway, it could be a short attempt or a long one but as long as you don't get caught because then the purpose behind it is defeated. In other words, the foolers then become the foolies. Take Andy’s own prank from last year. Almost everyone bought into it until he tweeted and clarified though not in so many words but he was successful.

Like for example, this guy who was supposed to go on a date with his girlfriend on the same night of April 1st put some dark jam on his lips and sent a picture via phone cancelling the date telling her that he got a cold sore and couldn’t make it. He was very cold about the whole thing. The girlfriend got very upset at the message and thought he was simply sleeping around or he was not into her as much, falling out etc. until he finally told her that it was an April fool prank.

Also, last year, when my co-worked walked in and sat down next time, I said “you look very handsome today” and he totally blushed and said, “thank you” and that’s when I said, “April fool btw”. I wanted to pull the same one on Mark yesterday but he didn’t bite. Actually I wanted to say, “you sound very sexy today, Mark” but then I thought of Hazel and decided not to. lol

Again, the idea is to fool the person you intend to and not get caught until you tell them so and that’s when it becomes really funny – not before or during.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray to skip entire clay court season « Reply #132 on: April 03, 2012, 05:36 PM »

I thought the idea of an April Fool joke was to be funny not hurtful - maybe it's different in Canada!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray to skip entire clay court season « Reply #133 on: April 03, 2012, 05:59 PM »

I thought the idea of an April Fool joke was to be funny not hurtful - maybe it's different in Canada!
Nope.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray to skip entire clay court season « Reply #134 on: April 03, 2012, 06:11 PM »

The original April fool prank was meant to be dreadful not only painful so if we keep that in mind, we shouldn't even be pulling any pranks on this day. Even Nigel's article didn't come across as funny if you believe in it. It's never good news if Andy has to pull out from the entire clay season and then make his fans believe in it. The news was a bit shocking to me in fact. Where was the fun in that?

Anyway, I was very excited about Andy’s match vs Nole and was looking for information everywhere on Saturday night to make sure everything was okay and on schedule and that’s when I came across this article. Fell for it for a minute or two so hence the quick reaction. I have no intention to continue with this any longer. Life is short and I need to keep things more on the positive side for Andy's sake if nothing!

Good stuff, Nigel. You almost had us. Well... almost. :p
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »