Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray topples Big John 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray topples Big John

(Read 3354 times)
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Murray topples Big John « on: September 09, 2011, 09:15 PM »

Andy Murray surged into the semi finals of the US Open after a fascinating 7-5, 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 victory over John Isner.

Murray is still searching for his maiden Slam title, but this victory makes him only the seventh player in the Open era to reach the semis of all four slams in the same calendar year. The best player to never win a slam (so far)? Almost certainly.

It would be unfair to describe Isner as an all serve mug, but the American's game does depend heavily on that delivery. Murray has consistently been one of the best returners on tour since his professional debut so all signs were pointing towards a fascinating encounter.

As play got under way it became apparent that Isner had taken a page out of the Andy Roddick play book, rushing the net with gay abandon. This tactic rarely works for the sweaty American, and it didn't offer much joy for his baby-faced counter part. Murray's passing shots were simply sublime and Isner was frequently left groping at the net like a blind man in a brothel.

Read more (255 words)
Despite this, a combination of unreturnable serves and the ocassional hammered forehand allowed the American to hold serve until 5-5. Murray clearly had no desire to play a tie-break and upped his game. Two jaw dropping cross court passing shots and a generous double fault gave the Scot two break points, and he duly converted when Isner spooned a short forehand well long.

Murray strolled through a drama free service game to seal the set.

Isner needed to re-establish himself in the match, but Murray was in no mood to be generous. An immediate break of serve at the start of the second set was all the Scot needed to motor into a two set lead.

Murray is frequently guilty of concentration lapses, and one such moment in the second game of the third set gifted Isner an improbable break. The American took his chance, and after saving a break point of his own in the fifth game quickly served out to take the set.

In the fourth set both players were largely untroubled on serve. Murray faced two break points in the ninth game, but a booming ace and a sensational forehand volley averted the danger.

Isner has an incredible tiebreak record, with a career win ratio of almost 70% - so Murray fans were understandably concerned as the Scot was unable to fashion any break chances of his own and the set inevitably culminated in a shootout.

Any worries were quickly soothed as Murray overpowered the American to register a mightily impressive win.
[ Last edit by Mark September 10, 2011, 04:53 PM ] IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray topples Big John « Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 09:18 PM »

The face of a man who will win his first Slam in a few days time.

IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Murray topples Big John « Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 09:19 PM »

Andy won the first two sets with ease. Had a bad third set allowing Isner back into the game. Fourth set was 6 - 6 Andy won the tiebreak 7 - 6 a hard fought but a deserved win in the end.  yay yay yay
IP Logged
Johnny Handsome
Futures Level

Re: Murray topples Big John « Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 09:19 PM »

phew! knew i was nervous about this match for a reason......he did not look too happy in the interview confused
IP Logged
Johnny Handsome
Futures Level

Re: Murray topples Big John « Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 09:20 PM »

Hope so!
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Murray topples Big John « Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 09:30 PM »

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY   yay yay yay yay

He played so well tonight.

So proud of him.  clap
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray topples Big John « Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 09:31 PM »

Sensational game from Andy, half second to hit most of Isners shots. Over the moon for Andy and to beat Isner in a tiebreaker is just awesome!! Almost had to leave the room in the last set just so nervous, don't know how Judy manages to look so composed, I'm a wreck. Well Done Andy yay yay Bagpipes That's my boy! cmon yeah
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray topples Big John « Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 09:33 PM »

Hoping Nadal and ARod go 5 sets, will settle for 4 though! Whistle
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray topples Big John « Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 09:43 PM »

I so hope so!
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray topples Big John « Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 09:46 PM »

Sensational game from Andy, half second to hit most of Isners shots. Over the moon for Andy and to beat Isner in a tiebreaker is just awesome!! Almost had to leave the room in the last set just so nervous, don't know how Judy manages to look so composed, I'm a wreck. Well Done Andy yay yay Bagpipes That's my boy! cmon yeah

That makes two of us thought i would have a heart attack when he had to save 2 break points in that last set, my husband got so fed up with me yelling at the telly he walked to the corner shop for a pint of milk (not even sure we needed any) The red shoes did it again
With Andys help of course haha

Well done Andy!!
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray topples Big John « Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 09:47 PM »

Not too promising at the moment Rafa 4 love up already!
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray topples Big John « Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 09:49 PM »

You'll be lucky at this rate.  Totally different Nadal from the match vs Muller.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray topples Big John « Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 09:51 PM »

It was a tough match for Andy but he came through to make his 4th semi of the year.  That's a terrific run but Andy won't be happy with that, he will want the grand prize. 

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray topples Big John « Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 10:21 PM »

So proud of how Andy hung on in there after the disappointment of losing the 3rd set and then ran away with the tie break, which is no mean feat against Isner.  Some fantastic tennis at times in that match but nerves quite shredded once more by the end.  I just wish his namesake would find some form to slow Rafa down.
But whatever happens tomorrow what an achievement Andy to be only the 7th guy in the open era to reach the SFs of all the GSs in a calendar year.    yay clap yay clap yay clap
IP Logged
jennan

Re: Murray topples Big John « Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 10:22 PM »

Great match from Andy, I didn't think he would win the tie break against the Isner serve.   So pleased I was wrong.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »