Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray toughs it out on centre court 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray toughs it out on centre court

(Read 1590 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray toughs it out on centre court « Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 11:01 PM »

Didn't see this one, but hopefully it's his obligatory crap match out of the way and he can really click into gear heading towards the final. nervous

It wasn't a crap match. It was a blip in the second set. The result was never really in doubt, despite Simon Reed sounding increasingly desperate to suggest otherwise in commentary. He must really hate that Andy is playing well and the crowds have decided to love him.

This was just a match that in the dim and distant past might have gone to four sets. Andy had a blip and still got it done in three.

Andy was brilliant in lifting himself today. He really used the energy of the crowd to his own benefit. He kept a lid on the frustration too, channeling it well to get out of the hole he temporarily dug for himself.

Great match report TMH.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray toughs it out on centre court « Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 11:35 PM »

^ I thought the crowd had about as much energy as a dying duck up until the middle of the second set when Andy began staging his comeback, and even then it left a lot to be desired.

Hopefully his next match will be a later one when all the Pimms 'n' strawberries brigade will have gone home and let some of the real fans have their seats.  Haas certainly got more support than Andy did.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray toughs it out on centre court « Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 11:50 PM »

^ I thought the crowd had about as much energy as a dying duck up until the middle of the second set when Andy began staging his comeback, and even then it left a lot to be desired.

Hopefully his next match will be a later one when all the Pimms 'n' strawberries brigade will have gone home and let some of the real fans have their seats.  Haas certainly got more support than Andy did.

That's true. I think what I meant was that Andy engaged the crowd and used them to help him.

I think the problem with the crowd for Andy was that he was on after what happened with Serena. They seemed stunned for a while, then anxious, which seemed daft to me. I still think Andy was always going to sort it out, so I don't know what the crowd was worried about.

I'm convinced with Haas it was the underdog thing. I'm also not convinced they like Djokovic. They seemed to really get under his skin.

It's funny how the later crowds do seem livelier. Then again, Andy playing earlier gets it over with and gives him time to recover, so it's hard to know which is best.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Murray toughs it out on centre court « Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 12:06 AM »

The later crowds probably been guzzlung Pimms and champers all day...pissed people make more noise Wink
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray toughs it out on centre court « Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 12:21 AM »

The later crowds probably been guzzlung Pimms and champers all day...pissed people make more noise Wink
There speaks the voice of experience ... lol

That's true. I think what I meant was that Andy engaged the crowd and used them to help him.

I think the problem with the crowd for Andy was that he was on after what happened with Serena. They seemed stunned for a while, then anxious, which seemed daft to me. I still think Andy was always going to sort it out, so I don't know what the crowd was worried about.

I'm convinced with Haas it was the underdog thing. I'm also not convinced they like Djokovic. They seemed to really get under his skin.

It's funny how the later crowds do seem livelier. Then again, Andy playing earlier gets it over with and gives him time to recover, so it's hard to know which is best.
I get the feeling too that Djokovic isn't too popular at Wimbledon, although I'm not sure why.

I don't understand either why Serena's defeat should have been such a shock, but then I'm probably biased because I just do not like her and felt that Lisicki deserved her win anyway.  Perhaps their nervousness was brought about by the early departure of three world champions in one tournament, which must be very unusual if not unique, and so because Andy is effectively our champion they may have been concerned that the same fate might befall him.  Crowds are strange beasts anyway.  It only needs a handful of people to get them going for good or for ill.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray toughs it out on centre court « Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 02:18 AM »

There speaks the voice of experience ... lol

I get the feeling too that Djokovic isn't too popular at Wimbledon, although I'm not sure why.

I don't understand either why Serena's defeat should have been such a shock, but then I'm probably biased because I just do not like her and felt that Lisicki deserved her win anyway.  Perhaps their nervousness was brought about by the early departure of three world champions in one tournament, which must be very unusual if not unique, and so because Andy is effectively our champion they may have been concerned that the same fate might befall him.  Crowds are strange beasts anyway.  It only needs a handful of people to get them going for good or for ill.
Given the British fans are predominantly Murray or Federer fans with a sprinkling of Nadal fangirls, I would imagine most would probably be anti-Djokovic.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray toughs it out on centre court « Reply #21 on: July 02, 2013, 07:27 AM »

Well, it wouldn't be a Murray match without some "behind the sofa" time.  Rolling Eyes
Wish he'd play that fabulous attacking tennis all the time not just when he needs to.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray toughs it out on centre court « Reply #22 on: July 02, 2013, 08:06 AM »

Funny that the dip Novak had in the third set when he couldn't serve out for the match is never mentioned, while any dip by Andy during a match is highlighted.      confused During that period I never doubted that Andy would fight back to win that set.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray toughs it out on centre court « Reply #23 on: July 02, 2013, 09:12 AM »

Yes.....that's what I think too Angie, but also, they were thoroughly behind Haas......maybe because they don't like Djoko or maybe because they appreciated seeing Tommy putting up such a great fight, but I also think most of them these days 'want' Andy to win and knowing there's a good chance that the two will meet up, just enjoyed seeing Haas giving him a hard time!  w00t Djoko must be really dreading a meeting with Andy in the final!  Whistle
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray toughs it out on centre court « Reply #24 on: July 02, 2013, 09:20 AM »

Funny that the dip Novak had in the third set when he couldn't serve out for the match is never mentioned, while any dip by Andy during a match is highlighted.      confused During that period I never doubted that Andy would fight back to win that set.

Exactly. Djokovic has wobbled in the first couple of rounds too, so Andy isn't alone. It happens. People just focus when it happens to Andy, that's all. To me yesterday was never in doubt. The way Andy ran through the third showed that.

I'm convinced both of them have been a bit unsettled by the upsets. That's why I hope Andy is okay and remains focused, because that may well get to Djokovic as well. I still feel Andy has one heck of a chance.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray toughs it out on centre court « Reply #25 on: July 02, 2013, 09:22 AM »

Me neither Michelle......did anyone? I've got to say that I'm loving the way Andy is looking right now, with his hair at just the right length and always clean shaven. Not that I was too bothered when he was scruffy, but what I'm loving now is, it's an obvious sign of the change in his 'mental attitude'! He's sending out all the right messages!  yes
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray toughs it out on centre court « Reply #26 on: July 02, 2013, 09:23 AM »

Thanks for the report TMH.....I enjoyed reading it! Much appreciated!
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Murray toughs it out on centre court « Reply #27 on: July 02, 2013, 10:34 AM »

Djoko must be really dreading a meeting with Andy in the final!  Whistle
  I don't think he'll be particularly relishing the match with Berdych, either.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray toughs it out on centre court « Reply #28 on: July 02, 2013, 11:06 AM »

^ Do you think the crowd will get behind Berdych?
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Murray toughs it out on centre court « Reply #29 on: July 02, 2013, 11:17 AM »

Nole's never been loved at Wimbledon like Federer or Nadal.Perhaps because he came along and gate-crashed their winning party? Shrug And I agreee with Caz-much as this Wimbledon should have taught people not to assume anything,most are still assuming Andy and Nole will make it to the final,so anyone who wants Andy to win and is making that assumption is going to see Nole as the biggest obstacle in Andy's way.

I don't think he'll be particularly relishing the match with Berdych, either.

I'd love for Berdych to put up a real fight,but seeing as he's coming off a couple of tough matches that got taken to 4 (I think) sets,I wonder how much he'll have left in the tank to steel himself against Nole-both physically and mentally.

Anyway,we'll see soon enough I suppose Shrug
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »