Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray turns back the Nadal waves 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray turns back the Nadal waves

(Read 3173 times)
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray turns back the Nadal waves « Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 06:59 PM »

Well done Andy a super star, keep it going, number 3 is nearly yours.  yay
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Murray turns back the Nadal waves « Reply #16 on: October 09, 2011, 07:30 PM »

Well done Andy - you are within touhing distance of that No. 3 - anyone know what's up with his ankle - am guessing it can't be too serious or he would not have made the doubles?
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray turns back the Nadal waves « Reply #17 on: October 09, 2011, 07:36 PM »

Well done Andy - you are within touhing distance of that No. 3 - anyone know what's up with his ankle - am guessing it can't be too serious or he would not have made the doubles?
Was there a problem with his ankle? I think both are always strapped now aren't they?
And bbh yes very happy - great start to the week. 
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Murray turns back the Nadal waves « Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 07:45 PM »

Was there a problem with his ankle?

The only problem I saw was the tightness of his foot strapping.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Murray turns back the Nadal waves « Reply #19 on: October 09, 2011, 07:49 PM »

This is what Sean Randall from Tennis-x.com

RAFA: “I think it will be a very difficult match, he is doing very well winning last week in Bangkok and now into another final,” said Nadal. “I will have to play my best tennis to have any chance, it’s a big challenge playing against him.”

RANDALL: “Any chance”, Rafa? Nobody believes that! Nadal has simply dominated the head-to-head with Murray leading 13-4 (1-1 in finals) with five straight wins. But Rafa who won the Tokyo title last year has never defended a title off clay, and we know Murray plays his best tennis at the smaller events like Tokyo. So even though I hate picking him, I’ll take Murray here in this first meeting between the two in Asia.

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray turns back the Nadal waves « Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 07:49 PM »

The only problem I saw was the tightness of his foot strapping.
Which I gather he sorted out after the first set so I guess nothing to worry about?
IP Logged
ljs
Futures Level

Re: Murray turns back the Nadal waves « Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 08:18 PM »

Andy played freakin fantastic in the 2nd and 3rd sets !!!  I stayed up to watch , and so glad I did  !!   trophy

Singles and doubles champion   clap clap clap clap yay yay yay yay
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Murray turns back the Nadal waves « Reply #22 on: October 09, 2011, 10:22 PM »

Good read Nigel.  Congratulations to Andy & Jamie on the doubles too, that was great, didn’t see it, of course, would love to have.  There is a nice picture of them and write up at:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2011/10/40/Doubles-Sunday-Tokyo.aspx
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Murray turns back the Nadal waves « Reply #23 on: October 09, 2011, 10:42 PM »

A great day it was!!  Seeing Andy at his best is phenomenal.  I saw him:

Never taking his foot off with Nadal  - check
“Not giving him any easy ones” as I advised (lol) – check
Holding himself together so well under pressure  - check  (& made all the difference)!
Putting mistakes behind him and playing in the moment – check
Bravo Andy!!!

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray turns back the Nadal waves « Reply #24 on: October 09, 2011, 11:41 PM »

He's go so used to having things all his own way (well mostly), Andy has just notched up a few wins against him in his career.
This was shock and awe! Just think. Rafa lost his Championship status in Japan Open. It will put a dent in Rafas self esteem and he will be more wary of Andy next time. That can have to sides it of course.

I hope Andy remembers this victorious feeling for a long time and builds on it, game on game. Thats how he did it today. No magic involved. Just winning point by point, not looking at the point he'd just lost or the error just made, but like Nadal does, looking for the next point.

He seemed more mature, still vocal, but not the Andy of "old", Mr negative. Maybe he is maturing and getting more self control. Whatever it is, I want more of it. We all agree (on MW) he can do whatever he sets his mind to.
All thats stopping him is Andys "own head".

I'm so proud of him today.
Good posting! I'd only add that I think Andy is finally getting his head sorted out.  This victory over Nadal was a huge step in the right direction.

Which I gather he sorted out after the first set so I guess nothing to worry about?
Ruthie - That was the ankle he went over on at the French Open.  He has similar strapping on his right ankle which he's injured a couple of times in the past.  It's purely a preventative measure which gives both ankles extra support.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Murray turns back the Nadal waves « Reply #25 on: October 10, 2011, 02:58 AM »

He was always going to get his head sorted out eventually,
He understands the need to be more positive on court and how conducive a PMA is to wining, hence the rather crazed grinning over the summer.
This was no ordinary victory it was a game changer, he stood his ground and took his chances just at the right moments, it was a thoroughly mature performance.
And that 3rd set! My word, not just a Bagel. Nadal actually didn't win ANY points on serve, the 4 points were courtesy of unforced errors from Murray.
Against one of the best players ever.
Thats incredible!
And Nadal stats wise served very well and played well also but it was simply not enough.
Let's hope he's seen the light, or some of it at least.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray turns back the Nadal waves « Reply #26 on: October 10, 2011, 03:13 PM »

All very positive with lots of praise for Andy today in the papers, rightly so !!! amazing performance, i notice no one banging on about needing a coach now he is doing so well!!! go Andy win this week and take number 3 of Fed !!! yay
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Murray turns back the Nadal waves « Reply #27 on: October 10, 2011, 03:44 PM »

he said he played 'smart" with David Ferrer and thats what he did with Nadal.
Well done. Andy and Jamie
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Murray turns back the Nadal waves « Reply #28 on: October 10, 2011, 05:16 PM »

The presentation ceremony. A lovely touch from Andy when he meets the 1st ever winner of the tournament.

[ Last edit by IonaRed October 10, 2011, 05:22 PM ] IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Murray turns back the Nadal waves « Reply #29 on: October 10, 2011, 06:07 PM »

I loved Rafa's t-shirt.  That statement is so him.  "I may have lost today, but tomorrow is another day."
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »