Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray turns Roger-Vasselin to jelly 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray turns Roger-Vasselin to jelly

(Read 1873 times)
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Murray turns Roger-Vasselin to jelly « on: January 19, 2012, 08:33 AM »

Andy Murray today sauntered through the second round of the Australian Open with a comprehensive thrashing of Edouard Roger-Vasselin. Murray lubricated the Frenchman's departure from the tournament 6-1 6-4 6-4, to set up a third-round clash with his compatriot, Michael Llodra.

In truth, the scoreline flattered Roger-Vasselin, with Murray dominant in every area of the court. At 5-0 in the first set, a whitewash looked likely, but the Frenchman dutifully turned the bagel into a baguette with some uninhibited tennis.

Murray will look back on this match as nothing more than a useful loosener, with the 28-year-old's friendly shot placement even ensuring the world number four stayed in the cooling shadow of the Hisense Arena.

As the second set wore on, it was clear that being kept in the shade was figurative rather than literal for Murray and, when he broke at 4-3, it was on the back of a 70% first-serve success rate and an expansive return game that turned Roger-Vasselin into petroleum jelly.

Read more (193 words)
With the third set unwinding in a similar pattern to the second, the most impressive factor for the Scot was his discipline. Murray chased every ball, even when they eventually landed in an adjacent postcode, and seemed keen to give each aspect of his game a workout, with frequent sorties to the forecourt.

The Frenchman, whose father once reached the semi-finals at Roland Garros, looked neat in patches, but his three-quarter-length groundshots couldn't trouble Murray often enough to gain a foothold in the match.

Murray said, "I served well. I didn't give him too many opportunities on my serve, which was important as he played well in the second and third set."

The Scot did concede, however, that the tricky left-hander Llodra could offer sterner opposition, saying: "The next round is tough – he's got a lot of flair, so it'll be a good match."

Today's victory brings Murray's success rate against Frenchmen to 37 out of 38 matches, a sequence that he can extend in the next round and then, potentially, against Monfils and Tsonga. With such credentials, the Scot might find himself whisked off to the next euro summit by David Cameron.
[ Last edit by Grabcopy January 19, 2012, 12:42 PM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray turns Roger-Vasselin to jelly « Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 08:39 AM »

Full report to follow

Once you've seen the match eh Nigel? lol

Loving the headline btw.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murray turns Roger-Vasselin to jelly « Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 09:25 AM »

Great to see an easy result Smile missed the match now waiting for Hewitt v Roddick yay nothing against Andy but that's a more interesting line-up Smile

So Nigel, how many puns will make it into the article? Wink Love the title and summary
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Murray turns Roger-Vasselin to jelly « Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 09:33 AM »

A tantalising start Nigel, to whet the appetite!

Still a few matches to be decided today, Bellucci took the 1st set of Monfils 6 - 2.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray turns Roger-Vasselin to jelly « Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 09:53 AM »

Once you've seen the match eh Nigel?

Nope, got up early(ish) for this one. Put the telly on, went to make some porridge and by the time I got back it was 5-0.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray turns Roger-Vasselin to jelly « Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 09:55 AM »

Wow, I'm impressed!

This was the kind of statistic I was looking for and it's courtesy of the beeb (edit: and Nigel):-

Murray went on to comfortably serve for a victory which maintains his domination over French opponents, taking his tally to 37 wins in 38 matches against competitors from across the channel.

cmon yeah

Drat!  You had it in your write up too but didn't notice at first as I had to expand the report.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray turns Roger-Vasselin to jelly « Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 11:27 AM »

Love the write up Nigel. And good to see Andy winning with ease - he needed to conserve energy after tuesday.  At one point well into the match the comms suggested Andy hadn't even broken sweat yet.  But those pesky eurosport comms do irritate me - they're like head prefects monitoring young Murray's behaviour every second on the look out for the slightest scowl or mutter. And all in such a patronising tone hammer
But even they had to admit how well Andy played  yay
[ Last edit by Ruthie January 19, 2012, 11:48 AM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray turns Roger-Vasselin to jelly « Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 12:56 PM »

What a charming little match! Andy purring along and some serious eye candy on the other side of the net....splendid clap

Nope, got up early(ish) for this one. Put the telly on, went to make some porridge and by the time I got back it was 5-0.

Found myself in similar, went to make some coffer to wake myself up...came back 3-0 Whistle
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray turns Roger-Vasselin to jelly « Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 01:53 PM »

Love the title. Very Happy  Report pretty good too.

This was certainly a good practice match for Andy.  Great to see the serve firing, the powerful forehand much in evidence, and, apart form the occasional muttering, the self-control working.  The only slight flaw was Andy's frequent failure to convert BPs.

Truly a pleasure to watch with the added attraction of the rather yummy-looking Frenchman who kept changing his shirt as if he was in a fashion parade.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Murray turns Roger-Vasselin to jelly « Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 01:56 PM »

jump  Onwards and upwards.  Great headline, Nigel!  Very Happy
IP Logged
mumbler

Re: Murray turns Roger-Vasselin to jelly « Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 02:31 PM »

Got up early and turned on TV just after the first point had been played. Andy went on to wrap the whole thing up just before I had to go to work. Perfect timing all round!

Good to see Andy's serve improving also some impressive moves up at the net. clap
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Murray turns Roger-Vasselin to jelly « Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 02:33 PM »

Loved the headline and report Nigel.  Well done Andy, looking forward to Saturday.
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Murray turns Roger-Vasselin to jelly « Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 03:17 PM »

Love the write up Nigel. And good to see Andy winning with ease - he needed to conserve energy after tuesday.  At one point well into the match the comms suggested Andy hadn't even broken sweat yet.  But those pesky eurosport comms do irritate me - they're like head prefects monitoring young Murray's behaviour every second on the look out for the slightest scowl or mutter. And all in such a patronising tone hammer
But even they had to admit how well Andy played  yay
I think the anchormen do not have much expert knowledge of tennis  and struggle for things to say sometimes and instead of doing the hard thing which would be to explore how Lendl can technically help him they are just preparing an easy headline which is that Lendl stops Andy losing his temper. I hope that if Andy is successful in Oz the first thing Lendl says is that it was down to Andy.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray turns Roger-Vasselin to jelly « Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 04:27 PM »

Loved the headline and report Nigel.  Well done Andy, looking forward to Saturday.
Me too.  cmonandy
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Murray turns Roger-Vasselin to jelly « Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 04:36 PM »

Interview included Smile enjoy Smile the last game as well
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »