Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray vanquished by history 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 17 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray vanquished by history

(Read 10210 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #105 on: July 10, 2012, 04:56 PM »

Inspired by Andy's personality and performance over years (although from Germany) and having followed this supportive forum for a while,  we feel the time is now to share our views and passion for  tennis with you. Obviously, we are aware we will never be on the safe side with Andy, however there is nothing more exciting for us than a ride on good old Murray roller coaster. As Sunday evening left all fans heart-broken, it was really encouraging to read all the positive posts, which no other community could have managed. Thank you to all who made those moments easier to bear.
Welcome from me too!  And thank you for your comments about MW. Smile

While the roof may not have helped, I think - as do some of the people I've spoken to - that losing the 2nd set the way he did was where the match turned in Federer's favour and that Federer would probably have won anyway.  Yes, momentum can swing backwards and forwards in matches, especially in the longer ones in Slams.  Andy had a really tough tournament and I still maintain that after his SF win he probably didn't have enough left in the tank emotionally or mentally.  His reversion to the old Andy body language in the 3rd said it all really and I think that might have happened anyway without the roof, and it was in fact what I had feared before the match.  In times of severe pressure it's bound to pop out, at least for a while yet, but to his, and Lendl's, great credit he didn't collapse but still managed to keep battling to the end.

Winning this Slam just simply wasn't meant to be, and perhaps there's a reason for that.  Andy will learn a lot from this loss, and take many positives from it as well, and I do not agree with (sour-grapes?) Henman that it'll take him a long time to recover!  Andy is a new man these days.   I freely admit that my optimism had been waning for a while, but now it's back.  Andy can only improve and go forwards.  This year so far has been a huge learning curve for him. 

IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #106 on: July 10, 2012, 05:02 PM »

I agree and to be honest most of the pundits were saying the same before the match, ie if it was to go indoors Roger became the strong favourite. Had it not it might have gone to 5 in Andy's favour. If only he had not let Roger back into the match to steal that 2nd set.

This is clearly what lendl can & must focus on..to make Andy a better frontrunner and make him more willing and able to go after the smell of blood and deliver the killer ko.

Still what was so cool about his performance in the final was that for once, he didn't wilt & fold like a cheap suit as he had done every other time he got to a final. Next time he should be even more free as there was still a bit of a choke going on. But really the way he came out of the starting block was most impressive. Andy is always improving and under Lendl's steady rock like guidance it should all click together very soon, mentally speaking.

Andy has improved the most because there is more room to improve, the others have less room and that is an exciting notion.
One other thing, the negative body language came back again under the roof, i think this will take a long time to eradicate as old habits die hard but it has been much rarer at least.

The longer the match the better chance with Andy, I agree but you never know if Andy is going to pull it off in the end. The moment is just too big and he has to yet to get that close. That's another concern for me to be honest. No way of knowing that. There is this possibility again Andy getting tight under pressure, pressure to stay in the match in the fifth and final set if it comes to that. And the top players would smell blood if it comes to that. They rely on Andy to get tight and more often than not, in GSs, they tend to get away with it. So it's definitely up to Andy to make that final move but until he does, it's never a sure thing. I really think Andy's final win will come in 4 sets and frankly, that's how it should be, because he just can't afford to take things to the final set, unless he faces someone who’s playing their first time final, then the chances are with Andy without a doubt.

Andy is definitely getting better and better and next time he makes the final, I am sure he’ll be even more sure of things. This was such a crucial performance against Federer in the final because it all happened when the pressure was most high and he really did incredibly well there. Who would have thought this was where Andy was going to give his best GS final performance yet? Next time he should win but there are so many other elements involved in a final, so it’s always a hard call.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean July 10, 2012, 05:14 PM ] IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #107 on: July 10, 2012, 05:09 PM »

I've been looking for somewhere where I could talk to other like-minded souls about Andy Murray for ages, so I hope no one minds me joining in.

Really just wanted to congratulate Andy for a wonderful Wimbledon. It's funny how he proved a lot of people wrong, those who thought he wouldn't get past Davydenko, or wouldn't survive beyond a few rounds with the tough draw he had. How wrong could they be! Andy played his best Wimbledon by far. He played a lot of amazing tennis and was calm and in control.

Highlights for me were him smashing Davydenko, who needs to learn to shut his mouth, beating Baghdatis against the clock - although, forgive me for saying it, I felt Miles Maclagan was trying to wind Andy up during that match, especially early on. Also, Andy serving like a machine against Cilic, Andy's lovely reaction to getting in to the final, and that STUNNING first set in the final. Has Andy ever looked so at home at Wimbledon, let alone in a final? He played well throughout the final though. It's just a pity the roof was closed (knew the stupid thing was a waste of money!), but also that Andy just couldn't get that second set.

I've always believed Andy will win majors one day, more than one, and I still have that opinion. It seems to me that it is all down to small margins now. He will get there. Frankly in the final I really do believe that Federer played well because Andy made him. That is no disrespect to Federer, although I don't like the man, just the truth as I see it.

I think Andy has made a lot of progress during the last year or so, even allowing for the back injury. It has been clear to me that he has been trying to improve on the mental side of things since before Lendl came on the scene, but having Lendl in his corner, someone who has been there and done it all, has to help.

If I could offer Andy advice I would just say to keep your chin up and keep fighting. His work ethic is obvious, his dedication unquestionable. His talent speaks for itself.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #108 on: July 10, 2012, 05:12 PM »

I'm with you Emma Jean.    Fed is much too savvy to behave any other way.    I got the impression the smile was a bit forced when Andy was speaking, and he was
looking very disgruntled during the early part of the match.   A friend told me yesterday she doesn't like Andy because he never smiles.     When I asked her to say how often Fed had smiled during the match she couldn't say and she hadn't really noticed how put out he looked until he got on top.    His image prevails.    I don't trust him one little bit.

Well, 70% of Federer fans are pure glory hunters so I am sure it has nothing to do with how often he smiles but everything to do with how many Slams he's won so far. It's more like Ali in boxing, Woods in Golf, Jordan in basketball but how many truly know about any of these sports? It's the success they are mostly drawn to and very little to do with personality. If that were the case, then I can name a few people, who should have rocked everyone's world but I don’t think anyone knows them let alone a fan. People just love to bask in someone else’s glory and it’s easy when someone else is doing all the hard work for them. It’s especially easy if someone is already successful rather than support someone who’s struggling. Quite pathetic human nature if you ask me.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #109 on: July 10, 2012, 05:20 PM »

I've been looking for somewhere where I could talk to other like-minded souls about Andy Murray for ages, so I hope no one minds me joining in.

Really just wanted to congratulate Andy for a wonderful Wimbledon. It's funny how he proved a lot of people wrong, those who thought he wouldn't get past Davydenko, or wouldn't survive beyond a few rounds with the tough draw he had. How wrong could they be! Andy played his best Wimbledon by far. He played a lot of amazing tennis and was calm and in control.

Highlights for me were him smashing Davydenko, who needs to learn to shut his mouth, beating Baghdatis against the clock - although, forgive me for saying it, I felt Miles Maclagan was trying to wind Andy up during that match, especially early on. Also, Andy serving like a machine against Cilic, Andy's lovely reaction to getting in to the final, and that STUNNING first set in the final. Has Andy ever looked so at home at Wimbledon, let alone in a final? He played well throughout the final though. It's just a pity the roof was closed (knew the stupid thing was a waste of money!), but also that Andy just couldn't get that second set.

I've always believed Andy will win majors one day, more than one, and I still have that opinion. It seems to me that it is all down to small margins now. He will get there. Frankly in the final I really do believe that Federer played well because Andy made him. That is no disrespect to Federer, although I don't like the man, just the truth as I see it.

I think Andy has made a lot of progress during the last year or so, even allowing for the back injury. It has been clear to me that he has been trying to improve on the mental side of things since before Lendl came on the scene, but having Lendl in his corner, someone who has been there and done it all, has to help.

If I could offer Andy advice I would just say to keep your chin up and keep fighting. His work ethic is obvious, his dedication unquestionable. His talent speaks for itself.
Hi teejay! wave  Welcome to MW.  Of course we don't mind you joining in!  Really enjoyed reading your post in which you make some very good points. Smile 
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #110 on: July 10, 2012, 06:08 PM »

Thanks Aileen, and thanks for the welcome. I will definitely be back. I have lots to say about our Andy.
IP Logged
uberdoo

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #111 on: July 10, 2012, 06:15 PM »

Think the British public have warmed to Andy after his tears, something had to give!
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #112 on: July 10, 2012, 06:17 PM »

Struggling to catch up after three days away with no internet and a dodgy TV I only just got working in time for the match.

MM @ 4.55 you've pretty much said what I'm thinking - again!

An emotional few days indeed, in fact an emotional two weeks. It certainly caught up with me by the third set - I was exhausted, and I felt it did with Andy. How annoying that Fed should have played such very good tennis from then on. I was hoping for another Halle (didn't watch it but why did he lose that final?)

Andy's speech was heartbreaking, but also lovely - how good that he took the microphone away from SB. The crowd were fantastic. And Fed showed more sensitivity than we're used to.

I thought it was a great tournament, and Andy was oh so close....
IP Logged
-
Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #113 on: July 10, 2012, 06:59 PM »

welcome
Inspired by Andy's personality and performance over years (although from Germany) and having followed this supportive forum for a while,  we feel the time is now to share our views and passion for  tennis with you. Obviously, we are aware we will never be on the safe side with Andy, however there is nothing more exciting for us than a ride on good old Murray roller coaster. As Sunday evening left all fans heart-broken, it was really encouraging to read all the positive posts, which no other community could have managed. Thank you to all who made those moments easier to bear.

Welcome! Nice, more foreigners!
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #114 on: July 10, 2012, 07:00 PM »

welcome  Teejay 1, thought your post very well written, and many points exactly what I've thought and said especially the bit about Miles maclagan, without a doubt he was winding Andy up, shame used to quite like him. As you can see we love Andy Murray.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #115 on: July 10, 2012, 07:04 PM »

welcome

Sorry, something went wrong. So now again: welcome  Counter puncher. Nice; more foreigners!
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #116 on: July 10, 2012, 07:26 PM »

welcome Welcome lovely post. Andy hearts
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #117 on: July 11, 2012, 12:09 AM »

What was Miles Maclagan doing to wind Andy up?  I missed that.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #118 on: July 11, 2012, 12:14 AM »

welcome  Teejay 1, thought your post very well written, and many points exactly what I've thought and said especially the bit about Miles maclagan, without a doubt he was winding Andy up, shame used to quite like him.
Yes, I agree with that too.  It seems to me that Miles is still feeling resentful about what happened between him and Andy, although in all fairness, Andy apparently wanted him to stay on as his coach and it was Miles who chose to walk.  However it does seem that relations between the two are a little frosty, and when asked about that, Andy said that when he crosses Miles's path at tournaments they merely acknowledge each other, and that's all.

Interesting thought about Andy's back problem - it never seems to have been an issue in this tournament, and in fact I don't recall it being mentioned by anyone other than at the beginning.  Hopefully this means that whatever it is is fairly minor, and that whatever treatment he's had, or is continuing to have, is working.   

Re Federer - I know I've posted this link elsewhere, but if anyone still thinks he's arrogant they should read this article which appeared in today's "Scotsman".  I truly believe he's speaking straight from the heart.  http://www.scotsman.com/sport/tennis/it-was-always-going-to-end-in-tears-admits-roger-federer-1-2401772
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #119 on: July 11, 2012, 12:27 AM »

What was Miles Maclagan doing to wind Andy up?  I missed that.
To be honest I can't really remember now exactly what it was, but I do recall thinking it at the time.  Also before the match Baggy was coming out with some rather unBaggy-like remarks, which, given that he's always seemed a really likeable guy, I strongly suspected may have been Miles-inspired mind games. 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 17 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »