Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray vanquished by history 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 17 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray vanquished by history

(Read 10907 times)
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Murray vanquished by history « on: July 08, 2012, 06:58 PM »

Andy Murray's bid to win Wimbledon was ended by 16-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer with a 4-6 7-5 6-3 6-4 victory.

For almost two sets the Scot dictated play before a missed forehand down the line at 30-15 signalled a rapid change in momentum. Federer pounced and, as the rain started to fall and the roof closed, history beckoned.

For the first hour and a half, it looked like the Scot would be the one making history. Murray announced his intentions with an immediate break of serve, a series of pile driver backhands leaving Federer rooted to the turf. The deficit was erased in the fourth game, but Murray stuck to his game plan and broke the Swiss again, before calmly serving out the set.

This was the first set Murray had won in slam finals - having lost in straight sets in his three previous attempts. As the match progressed he looked certain to add to that tally.

Federer was on the back foot and it was Murray creating all the chances. Crucially the Scot was unable to convert and, as just as the set seemed destined to end in a tiebreak, Federer struck. A missed forehand down the line opened the door and the Swiss barged through. A sublime drop shot set up set point before a breathtaking volley left Murray scrambling to no avail.

Read more (201 words)
As the match turned, so did the weather. Federer was 40-0 up in the opening game of the third set when the heavens opened. As the players scurried back to the locker room the roof began to close. This, perhaps more than anything, contributed to what happened next. Without the elements to bother him the Swiss is almost unbeatable - as Novak Djokovic found to his cost in the semi final.

Now on the back foot, Murray was unable to deal with his opponents pace and variety, and finally crumbled in the fifth game. From here it was one way traffic and Federer cantered to victory.

Murray may now have an unenviable 0-4 record in slam finals, but this loss was very different from the one sided beat-downs suffered in the past. For the first two sets at least, the Scot showed courage, aggression and a steely belief in his own destiny.

That this was derailed by the weather and an opponent in inspired form is unfortunate - but there's no doubt that Murray is closer than ever. Under Lendl's tutelage the Scot is growing into a complete player and his rewards must surely follow.

You should be proud, Andy.
[ Last edit by boogers July 09, 2012, 08:28 AM ] IP Logged
Marion

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 07:05 PM »

What a match and some amazing tennis. I cried with Andy and for Andy.
Hold your head well high lad you are on a winning streak and the day is not far away. wub
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 07:07 PM »

Progress is being made slowly but surely.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 07:10 PM »

The quality of tennis was awesome from both men, Andy did himself proud so close, the roof closing defo had an impact on the game, hope Ivan can pick Andy up and dust him down, no post Wimbledon slump.  So gutted yet so proud of his effort.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 07:20 PM »

Draw didn't help.
Roof didn't help.
First serve didn't help sometimes.
But looked at home in a grand slam final for the first time.
Played his heart out.
Played brilliantly first two sets, had Fed pinned down till he blinked.
Made us proud and sad and hopeful and proud. tender
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 07:23 PM »

Progress is being made slowly but surely.

Hi, progress is certainly being made, but I don't actually think it is that slow. The change in attitude in the short time (about a year), I have been following is very noticeable. When he wins these days it is in a so much more assured manner. When he loses, the majority of he time he fights to the last point. Obviously like any of us he has an off day when it all goes completely wrong.  The grunting and swearing has almost disappeared. All this in 6 months, and he lost in the same level as DJ. Our aim now must be to get Fed off the No 1 spot ASAP. I'm not fond of DJ, but I would rather have him ad No 1 than Fed.
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 07:26 PM »

Phil I wouldn't like to write this report so good luck. I put these comments on the Am - Fed match thread - my heart is full and I can write no more.
Well done Andy! That is really all I have to say of any importance. I really thought in those first two sets that he could do it - perhaps he can - but I have not seen him play so well in the last couple of years at least. Lendl is definitely helping him - long may it last.

To all the criticisers - dour Scot is he? To me he is a thoroughly decent young man who played his heart out today - who wanted to win with all his being - and he will one day. The British crowd was superb - their feelings were adequately expressed during the presentation ceremony where, once again, he couldn't hide his own emotions. I do hope Federer in all his smugness appreciated just how much this particular title meant to his opponent. This was no carefully staged emotional display it was real from a contender who has little showmanship, just a natural and deep rooted desire to win this very special English title. This is why I think so much of this young man and have done for some years. I will follow him through his career until it ends or I peg-out because he is thoroughly decent human being with a tremendous talent and he has brought years of pleasure to both my husband and I and hopefully will continue to do so. We are both pensioners and he representS a country we have been to many times, whose people we love for their friendship and hospitality, well done Andy - that's showed them - you were splendid.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 07:26 PM »

Fed will not stay at No 1 for long, he has a heap of points to defend at the end of the year and let's face it he ain' t getting any younger and with the Olympics crammed into an already tight schedule he is going to toil.  Would rather either Nadal or Djoko back at the top.  ABF for me.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 07:30 PM »

Very proud of Andy and sad for him too. Here's hoping Lendl gives him the right counsel just now and they move onward and upward!  cmonandy
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 07:31 PM »

Brilliant match and unfortunately the rain delay and roof favoured Federer slightly and gave him the way in. Murray played some amazing tennis though and I think won some more fans by his inability to hide his emotions at the end.

Well done Andy, you've still made history (crap I sound like Andrew Castle!)

clap
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 07:39 PM »

Just watched interview with Andy. Very honest. Lovely to say he wants to win it for his supporters as well as himself. He said he felt the most comfortable he's felt playing in a final. He will get there I still beleive.
Well done Andy. Xx
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 07:39 PM »

Just watched Andy's speech and I am in tears.........so proud of him and I know that a GS is near just keep the faith.  Look forward to seeing Andy and Jamie in the Olympics and I know they will win a medal, not for us but themselves.
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 07:39 PM »

So proud of Andy today. The roof definately helped Fed but he stayed true to his word in the way he fought from the first point to the last. I firmly believe he will lift up one of the 4 slam trophies soon.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 07:39 PM »

Andy played a much better final than it could have been.
He really kept his nerve more than even Federer to begin with. very impressive.
The negative was the lapse of concentration once the roof was on, and really should have taken his chances to take the 2nd set before then. Had he, then it could have been his day.
Fines lines in this match but Roger really deserved it the way he played in the last 2 sets.
Still more work to be done about the negative body language but still real progress has clearly been made.
The lendl effect has already started to set in!
Onwards and upwards.
Roger wished for at least one slam for Andy..pfft if he keeps on improving
the way he has his time will surely come and he will win many.
Oh and Andrew Castle can **** off.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Let your racket do the talking

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 07:44 PM »

Andy lost de final, but did also win two important things. At first the knowledge and feeling en confidence that he is getting closer and closer, make progress and able to show this on crucual moments on the slams, and last but not least; he won the hearts of many more people than he did before, because we saw a strong and fighting player in this match. (And of course because of his emotional post match interview)
I was very proud bout this match and the way he played. Fed was better today, but there will be an other GS final. Andy, thank you for thanking us, but there is no need for this, I'm proud to support  you. you deserve it. I liked these two weeks and llok forward to the next tournament. Wish you a nice quit period, take your rest. Thank you!
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 17 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »